Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Gender Differentiation  (Read 22140 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Differentiation
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »

I really don't see why a race's culture should be randomly generated if nothing else is
All right- should the culture dri'e on the right side of the road or left?

I oppose a pre-programmed gender differentiation (beyond the presently included).
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

Dwarven women care for their babies and can't control their fertility.  Behavioural differences around this are only logical.

Sorry to fail the 'being PC' check, but I'd rather be realistic.
I'd rather have babysitting options and be able to pick which dwarves get pregnant instead of putting contraceptives in the booze via the init file.

I also disagree with the comments about NPCs expressing shock that an adventurer is female (or male, if you like...). One of the things I love about the DF universe is that it's high fantasy without any of the sexism that usually pervades these settings.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »

I oppose a pre-programmed gender differentiation (beyond the presently included).

You could just mod in the values you want

I detest the random number generator enough as is, let alone if it decided all my dwarves wear thongs and nothing else

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons for clothing and gender roles that should bias the random number generator, such as climate and males generally gravitating towards higher-risk jobs. However, a lot is simply cultural, and the RNG could help out with this.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »

In my own RPG I'm developing, each race uses different differentiation as to genders, as they are (surprise!) different. So Dwarves tend to be not even noticeable, because it's a more utilitarian society, not truly concerned with gender roles in the society.

I'm not PC, I just felt that it would provide some distinction to the races if each had differing mechanics for genders than either nothing, or a simple flat bonus/penalty. Plus, I like needless complications that add nothing.

Obviously, it's up to Toady to do what he will.

I would like to see differing names for the male/female dwarves, if it's only gender differentiation in the names themselves. Perhaps differing colors for them as well; just so I can tell at a glance. But that isn't an major issue.

The main thing is that I'd like to see my pregnant moms at least let me know of it. I'd pull them off labor during the pregnancy. Especially I'd pull them back from military duty. Nothing automatic, just a simple not on the unit screen. Not that I ever look at that.

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 03:34:23 am »

Sexual dimorphism is a biological process.  In Dwarf Fortress, my understanding is the gods simply whip up the various species at the beginning of time.  Hell, in one of the recent worlds I generated, a significant number of the original dwarven population is still alive at the time of playability.  Hardly enough time for major evolutionary changes.

Animals that depend on instinct for survival, sure, let them differ if it'll make the game more interesting.  But there's no reason to project our sexual (mis)conceptions on a fantasy world that doesn't even adhere to the same natural laws.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 11:03:58 am »

The RNG already determines what clothing a civ wears...

[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_TURBAN:UNCOMMON]
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:17 am »

Animals that depend on instinct for survival, sure, let them differ if it'll make the game more interesting.  But there's no reason to project our sexual (mis)conceptions on a fantasy world that doesn't even adhere to the same natural laws.
Unless you've skipped every real science class in favor of liberal artsy fartsyness, it's not a misconception or even conception that human males have a significantly higher muscle mass than human females.  It's a fact.  The misconception is that this higher muscle mass makes them better or more efficient people, which you implicitely buy into when you make statements like that.

The RNG already determines what clothing a civ wears...
But not based on caste or rank.

Actually, there's anew point:

Castes could have different body structures:  If the males are stout, and the females are narrow, will we need two sets of clothings?  How will the system decide what to make?  Will we need tailors of every caste?  (I'm worried about the 4-armed golden dwarf king not having shirts)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

Castes could have different body structures:  If the males are stout, and the females are narrow, will we need two sets of clothings?  How will the system decide what to make?  Will we need tailors of every caste?  (I'm worried about the 4-armed golden dwarf king not having shirts)

Now, there's a topic that deserves a thread of its own.  I've been meaning to write something up to start a discussion on handling clothing in the new version.

As I see it, articles of clothing are going to need something in the definition that determines who can wear them - based on either a list of creatures and castes, or on permitted and covered body parts.  They should also have an acceptable range for difference in size; something like a cloak can be worn by a lot more people than, say, a set of plate armor.  We could have ill fitting and well fitting garments, with accompanying thoughts, and all sorts of complexity and fun.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 02:58:04 pm »

For names, different word sets could be associated with males or females.  This would be easy enough to be placed in the civ RAW.  You know, like FLOWERY or MOUNTAIN or whatnot.

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2009, 03:24:51 pm »

Unless you've skipped every real science class in favor of liberal artsy fartsyness, it's not a misconception or even conception that human males have a significantly higher muscle mass than human females.  It's a fact.  The misconception is that this higher muscle mass makes them better or more efficient people, which you implicitely buy into when you make statements like that.
Except I never said anything about muscle mass, did I, Chuckles?

The point was, there is no need to project real-world dimorphism (which arose due to natural processes) on a fantasy world where gods create species apparently out of thin air.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »

That's not to say that physical dimorphism won't happen in a fantasy world. Nothing stops the gods from deciding that males should be huge and females tiny, for example. It may be based on aesthetics and not evolution, but it should still be accounted for.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »

For names, different word sets could be associated with males or females.  This would be easy enough to be placed in the civ RAW.  You know, like FLOWERY or MOUNTAIN or whatnot.

Good idea.  Could be done as easily as this:

[SELECT_SYMBOL:NAME_MALE:VIOLENT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:NAME_MALE:FLOWERY]

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 03:48:43 pm »

That's not to say that physical dimorphism won't happen in a fantasy world. Nothing stops the gods from deciding that males should be huge and females tiny, for example. It may be based on aesthetics and not evolution, but it should still be accounted for.
And nothing is to stop the gods from doing the opposite, or nothing at all, or something extreme.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 03:50:40 pm »

And nothing is to stop the gods from doing the opposite, or nothing at all, or something extreme.
except, ya know, the raws not supporting it...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13