Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Gender Differentiation  (Read 22041 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Differentiation
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2010, 01:50:08 am »

What bridge?  Bridgebuilding is a very complex art, and the widespread existence of bridges did not occur until the Roman era.
Take plank
Lay over canal
Be a roman  8)

But yeah, no. Bridges existed before the Romans. Perhaps not very long or arched bridges, but normal ones certainly existed.
Really? Where'd you get the 50 ft. long plank that wont bend or sag in the middle?  And how about removing it when the next barge comes through?  I am CERTAIN that the greeks didn't have drawbridges.

"Even the most primitive human communities must often have created bridges from material lying easily to hand. Hunters and gatherers follow favourite paths; streams need to be crossed. A fallen tree can be dragged into position to serve as a plank. Forest tendrils may be intertwined as an elementary suspension bridge. Or rafts can be tied together in a pontoon." - History of Bridges (www.historyworld.net)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »

Both the greeks and celts built bridges. ROman roads and bridges were just the only ones that were overbuilt to the point that they lasted for centuries.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2010, 11:06:30 pm »

Bridgebuilding is seriously out of topic here. Take it to another room.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]