Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Gender Differentiation  (Read 22042 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Differentiation
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2009, 03:42:17 pm »

What do you mean? I said two things: One, that women are biologically, statistically, slower to develop strength,
Yet that does not mean lower strength capacity.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2009, 04:57:15 pm »

For maximum capacity, look to sports, namely at the highest levels.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2009, 05:41:46 pm »

In a nutshell: In a realistic(that is, internally consistent) setting, men would have an advantage over women as adventurers, but not through any fault of the women.
How does internal consistency figure into it?  It seems like you're saying "consistent with DF's perceived medieval Europe setting."
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. This is different from "realism" in light of the fact that DF also contains dragons, wizards, sea monsters, and deadly spinning coinage.
You saying that there are fewer female adventurers, warriors or soldiers etc in fantasy than in reality? Have you ever read any AD&D books? Or Elisabeth Moon's "The Deeds of Paksenarrion" (which is a low-brow feminist fantasy story where all the women are always better then the men, quite humorous in a way...). Fantasy overflows with mighty females, perhaps because if the exoticness of it compared to our normal conception of gender roles.

Jeanne d'Arc through crafty manipulation of her peers was able to win the trust of the government of France and gained some degree of leadership over the French military [the actual extent of which is unknown], and proceeded to... Well, fail, but she gets an A for Effort.
And it should be noted that this was the French medieval military, which historically had few victories, unfortunately.

Not actually true, depending on your definition of "medieval": french_military_victories There are more losses than wins in the stretch 1190 to 1347 but there ARE wins. Then it evens out again.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »

Okay, since this discussion has gone in the typical direction, let's have a look at the ThreeToe perspective on gender norms.  I bolded some of more notable/hilarious parts.

Passion in the Arena
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mother of Death
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and there's also the gender-related boasts from adventure mode:

Male victim:
Code: [Select]
whose womanly death screams aroused my thirst for blood
who cowered before me, not man enough to face death
who moaned like a whore as I nailed him to a tree
whose potency I question after his ineffective thrusts
whose bad luck in combat was exceeded only by his bad luck with the women
who sought his place at the head of the table, only to lose his head when I struck it off
who was but a boy in a man's world

Female victim:
who thought she could be a man
who didn't know her place
an unfit mother to the children she'll never see again
who waited submissively for her death
who wore her helmet like a veil to conceal her frightening appearance
who took up arms because she could not find a husband and met only death

Human male:
who cried like a little girl as I deprived him of his manhood
a fool, whose claim of manhood was laughable
who failed the test of manhood
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:15:16 pm by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2009, 09:41:01 pm »

Jeanne d'Arc through crafty manipulation of her peers was able to win the trust of the government of France and gained some degree of leadership over the French military [the actual extent of which is unknown], and proceeded to... Well, fail, but she gets an A for Effort.
And it should be noted that this was the French medieval military, which historically had few victories, unfortunately.
Nah, screw that... Joan D'Arc was a special woman...  Which goes to the center of it.  People can accomplish anything, but some people start at a disadvantage.  That makes it MORE impressive when they accomplish great things.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:02 pm »

I rather like how the only difference between males and females in DF is that the females occasionally have kids. It may not be realistic for humans, but who knows when it comes to dwarves? They all have beards anyway.
As of the latest raw updates, female dwarves do not have beards. Unless you mod them.
This is what i think:

Males +5% strength gain
Females +5% agility gain
Yeah. And Females +10 MP and Males +10 HP.

That is absurd.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »

Are you really trying to argue that women's inferiority at wrestling bears to death is a social construct as opposed to reflection of their somewhat inferior physical abilities as a whole?

It's the "as a whole" that's a problem here.

Women may not, generally-speaking, be as good as men at most sports/bear-wrestling, but two things to consider:

• Most sports were designed FOR men in the first place, so they'd play to their strengths.
  • Just because a woman has some obvious natural disadvantages in some regards doesn't mean that they have no advantages. I mean, look at certain sports, like gymnastics or, hell, even tennis.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2009, 03:00:33 am »

• Most sports were designed FOR men in the first place, so they'd play to their strengths.

Well duh, that's true for a lot of sports, perhaps even most of them.  When I say "look at sports", I mean look at where the design of the game doesn't matter.  You see a lot of examples of that in the Olympics: how do women typically compare against men in running, jumping, or swimming?

• Just because a woman has some obvious natural disadvantages in some regards doesn't mean that they have no advantages. I mean, look at certain sports, like gymnastics or, hell, even tennis.

IndyCar changed its rules because Danica Patrick's small size gave her an unfair advantage ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:02:26 am by LegacyCWAL »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:20 am »

Running, jumping, and swimming aren't situations where "design doesn't matter"; those are very basic actions which one gender could, possibly, be statistically better at. That doesn't prevent, say, ones men are better at from becoming more popular than ones women would be good at, or something like that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:19 am »

That's exactly what I mean.  Something like Football would obviously be biased towards men.  But you can't say that, for instance, the 100m dash was "designed FOR men" because running is just running.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2009, 04:35:27 am »

Yeah, but even those really basic activities can still be CHOSEN because men tend to be good at them; for example, if men tended to suck at some jumping activity, they probably wouldn't turn it into a sport, perhaps.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2009, 10:41:14 am »

G-Flex, you clearly don't have enough ESPN channels.

Try ESPN 8, The "Ocho"!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:48:21 am by Sergius »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:29 am »

Women couldn't even compete when they were chosen. In fact, they couldn't even watch

It's always been about physical fitness and women just can't keep up. It isn't some grand conspiracy by the man to keep them down

I doubt that adventurer of yours would be ruined if she could only reach Mighty. For that matter, I think the higher strength levels should be rare even for men. As is, everyone and everything has the capacity to become superhuman and that isn't very realistic. Nor is it really necessary either, those champions of yours wouldn't be useless just because they had personal potential for being only very strong

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »

What do you mean? I said two things: One, that women are biologically, statistically, slower to develop strength,
Yet that does not mean lower strength capacity.
That's exactly what I mean- that the potential is there. It just takes more work to get it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »

Yeah, but even those really basic activities can still be CHOSEN because men tend to be good at them; for example, if men tended to suck at some jumping activity, they probably wouldn't turn it into a sport, perhaps.
What?  The discussion is about raw physical capability in some basic activity like lifting objects or footspeed.  Can you think of a better way to measure footspeed than comparing footspeed?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13