Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!  (Read 18582 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 11:11:37 am »

Very good.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 02:40:28 pm »

Speaking of Toady dissepearing, if he died horribly, what would happen to the game? Would three toad release the source code/all the development, or would this game be lost to the sands of time?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »

tasteless much?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »

Just imagine riding on your half-nightmare horse swinging an obsidian twohanded sword down the sides to cut down unfortunate enemies and missing all the time because them damn dorfs are just too short!

The !!<<*Thought*>>!! shakes Keiseth around by the brain! A piece is torn off!

Good to hear it's quiet and the computer is working at least. The month-end project must really help alleviate stress from working on just Dwarf Fortress all the time; it would drive me batty. Giant cave batty.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:52 pm »

Speaking of Toady dissepearing, if he died horribly, what would happen to the game? Would three toad release the source code/all the development, or would this game be lost to the sands of time?
Why horribly? Isn't any other way possible?

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 04:42:30 pm »

Why horribly? Isn't any other way possible?

It's like Werewolves and silver. That's the only way to kill him.
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 04:43:18 pm »

We're talking the creator of Dwarf Fortress here. The only fitting deaths would be either being unable to fulfill inspiration, or in an attempt to flood his neighbourhood with lava.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 05:29:42 pm »

The only fitting deaths would be either being unable to fulfill inspiration
Like being driven mad eternally working on an ever complex and ambitious simulation of Dwarves?

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:15 pm »

dude what if this economy problem started affecting Toady's donation rate?  it might not but still I'd hate for Toady to have to get another job and spend less time on DF...
 reject your reality and substitute my own

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »

I'd say most of his donaters aren't being effected by the stock market loling right now

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:40 pm »

dude what if this economy problem started affecting Toady's donation rate?  it might not but still I'd hate for Toady to have to get another job and spend less time on DF...

That's disturbingly likely.  After all, DF's chief audience, the net- or code- savvy, aren't famous for their wealth.  And if you're afraid you won't have enough money to make ends meet (justified or not), donations to a freeware game developer are going to be first on the list to go.  The main reason I haven't donated again is exactly because I've never been able to hold more than 100 bucks in my account and I've always got more expenses looming.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:57 pm »

this economy problem
Go to Canada?

Would he ever release the source code for people to take over if he had to stop?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 08:22:46 pm »

this economy problem
Go to Canada?

Would he ever release the source code for people to take over if he had to stop?

Let us hope he has a will. And uploaded his consciousness onto a network of sorts.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:37 pm »

I'm still here.  I just haven't done anything talkaboutable recently.  Boring save compat/entity position code stuff that doesn't have much discussable appeal, and yeah, coupled with a few annoyances here and there unB12ish, I've been unusually quiet.  I'm planning on catching up on internet matters today, though I have 52 emails and 3 1/2 pages of bug reports and 5 pages of suggestions and a bunch of story and crayon rewards from who knows how long ago, so I imagine I'll just be whittling away at it only to fall behind again.  The computer move disrupted that a bit, not in a technical fashion, but just routine-wise.  The new computer itself is working great and the transition was fine.  I've been busy on the month-end project the last few days.

Yet another argument for getting some help with the game instead of doing it all yourself. How long before you burnout, Toady? How long before the bugs list just turns from a hill into a mountain into a volcano that you just want to hurl yourself into instead of climb? Or how long before you start thinking of this as a job instead of something you enjoy, and start getting bitter about it? God knows I've done enough projects where those have all happened.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 08:33:03 pm »

How long before you burnout, Toady? How long before the bugs list just turns from a hill into a mountain into a volcano that you just want to hurl yourself into instead of climb? Or how long before you start thinking of this as a job instead of something you enjoy, and start getting bitter about it? God knows I've done enough projects where those have all happened.

Well, according to this topic, he's pretty much given up his career as a math professor in order to code DF. It was also more than a year ago. I have a feeling that Toady knew what he was doing before he decided to give up his job in order to do DF. I doubt he'll burn out any time in the foreseeable future, unless donations dry up or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7