Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!  (Read 18589 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, seriously, Toady, where did you go!
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »

How does Toady support himself?

Don't listen to those page three guys, they all lied. It's a secret I've found out and that I'll share. Toady uses a complex series of tubes to absorb the essence of dead dwarven children, an event that was recorded and noted down in ye grand and royal hall of maps and history records.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2008, 09:07:04 pm »

While making calculations on rent, and Toady can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I've heard the Kitsap peninsula has rent down in the 3-400 dollar range.  the drawback is it's either an hour ferry ride or 2 hour drive from anywhere that you can actually find work.

If I were writing a novel or building an insanely complicated ascii game (and both have some appeal to me), I might try to move to somewhere like Bremerton. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2008, 09:27:05 pm »

dude what if this economy problem started affecting Toady's donation rate?  it might not but still I'd hate for Toady to have to get another job and spend less time on DF...

That's disturbingly likely.  After all, DF's chief audience, the net- or code- savvy, aren't famous for their wealth.  And if you're afraid you won't have enough money to make ends meet (justified or not), donations to a freeware game developer are going to be first on the list to go.  The main reason I haven't donated again is exactly because I've never been able to hold more than 100 bucks in my account and I've always got more expenses looming.

Buy blue-chip stocks now.  European blue-chip stocks, if you're an American, Israeli or Japanese.  Large quants are unwinding, and it's artificially devaluing the stocks they were forecasting to improve.  That, and the Euro is falling relative to the Dollar, so...

Disclaimer: I am not an economist - I just keep informed and am willing to "buy low" and "sell high".

That said, I hear videogame sales are up overall - apparently there's a bit of an inverse correlation with the stock market.  So who knows?  This might increase Toady's income marginally?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:32:48 pm by Qmarx »

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2008, 11:13:28 pm »

awesome, yet I was kinda hoping that since the economy's down, people might be wanting to be better quality games instead of eye candy and so developers would be trying to produce better quality games that have better replay value and therefore last longer and be worth more of the consumer's money.  oh well, i always have DF :)
 reject your reality and substitute my own

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2008, 03:38:35 am »

and it's artificially devaluing the stocks they were forecasting to improve.  That, and the Euro is falling relative to the Dollar, so...?

Some would say that stocks have been artificially high until now. Still, better buying now than it was 3 months ago. And since the market seems to be cooling down, buy buy buy!
Magma is overrated.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2008, 01:58:31 pm »

Yeah, ideally I'd like to donate $100 dollars a year - I donated $50 a couple months ago, so I've got a few months to go until I feel obligated, but if I don't find a job by then I might have to forgo donating.  Last week I was down to a meal a day, no luxuries, and it sucked.  Still, four months should be long enough to find a job.

Actually, if I had spare money right now, I probably would buy stocks - they might be lower in the next month (or even year), but in ten or fifteen years I bet they'd pay off big time.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2008, 10:08:38 am »

Actually, if I had spare money right now, I probably would buy stocks - they might be lower in the next month (or even year), but in ten or fifteen years I bet they'd pay off big time.

Yep, that is a good idea. I've bought some new stocks also [for ~20k $, I expect to gain like ~10k $ with them in ~2-3 months]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]