Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DF as an Iphone App  (Read 4854 times)

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF as an Iphone App
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 03:10:08 pm »

I have ssh-telnet app on iPhone with X11 remote desktop support. It use cool system for keyboard shortcuts emulation.

turn based DF mode only will be enough. )

if you think it's impossible to make DF on iPhone then would be great to see parts of game. I.e. huge armies battle sim based on bestiary world of DF. ))   

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:47 pm »

This is the closest you will ever get to running dwarf fortress on a portable device.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50643.0
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »

This is the closest you will ever get to running dwarf fortress on a portable device.

This is cool stuff. There are lot of telnets and ssh for iPhone. But i see solution in it only with 3G and free portable internet. )))

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »

This is most definitely impossible.

No, I don't think it is - at least for the iPad.

It's got a 1GHz single core CPU and 256MB RAM. There were lots of people playing 40d on that level hardware when 40d came out, and the iPad has hardware accelerated OpenGL so it'd get exactly the same boost from the merged code as the best desktop. 16GB storage for the low-end device, so the game would fit pretty well. Now, you'd probably want to play 2x2 embarks on pocket worlds, but from a hardware perspective, it's not that bad off. And the iPad cross-compiles reasonably well from Mac OS X, which already is supported.

That said, the interface is what kills it. Soft keyboard won't cut it and the game isn't mouse-enabled enough to swap in a touch interface, and I don't see that as a trivial undertaking.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 07:29:01 pm »

I'd vote no for DF being used on the iPhone, mostly because this new fad utter annoys me.  First the iPhone came out, and then in what seemed like two seconds, Microsoft had their equivalent out on the market and so did someone else, as if most corporations are mentally incapable of independent thinking.  Now everyone is like "you need an iPhone! it will save your life!" and "no matter what we're talking about, I'm sure there's an App for it" and "You play Prototype?  Psssh, Infamous is better!" (<--that's a joke there)  Certain friends of mine even seem to have instant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
should you mention that Apple has created a new iProduct, regardless of how necessary said product is.

What happened to the good 'ol days when people looked at trees, the sky, other people, and read books as they traveled about instead of poking at little gadgets?  Why all this decadance when all we really need are the simple things?  (Like magma, and torturing elves :))
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:44:31 pm by Euld »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »

I'd vote no for DF being used on the iPhone, mostly because this new fad utter annoys me.  First the iPhone came out, and then in what seemed like two seconds, Microsoft had their equivalent out on the market and so did someone else, as if most corporations are mentally incapable of independent thinking.  Now everyone is like "you need an iPhone! it will save your life!" and "no matter what we're talking about, I'm sure there's an App for it" and "You play Prototype?  Psssh, Infamous is better!" (<--that's a joke there)  Certain friends of mine even seem to have instant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
should you mention that Apple has created a new iProduct, regardless of how necessary said product is.

What happened to the good 'ol days when people looked at trees, the sky, other people, and read books as they traveled about instead of poking at little gadgets?  Why all this decadance when all we really need are the simple things?  (Like magma, and torturing elves :))

blah blah change happens. Deal with it. New things are created. People aren't going to go "hur let's go look at trees and ignore these new inventions". These people probably like the iphone because they have lots of fun with it or find it useful. Apple fanboys are the exception. And Dwarf Fortress is definitely not anywhere nearly as "simple" as trees and the sky. And being "simple" doesn't make anything better.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »

Since we know there's almost zero chance of Toady doing it....why even bother discussing it? The man won't even consider graphics, it's not like he's going to spend money and take 3 months off to make it work for ianything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »

Since we know there's almost zero chance of Toady doing it....why even bother discussing it? The man won't even consider graphics, it's not like he's going to spend money and take 3 months off to make it work for ianything.
Meh to the graphics.
I think he actually just wants to do it later in presentaztion arc and work on the gameplay now.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:16 am »

iPhone 3Gs is most the most powerful PDA in the world!!!

No, no it's not. At this point it's not even close. In fact even when it came out it wasn't. It also doesn't have the resolution to play the game at the current 80 title requirement.

Even the fastest pda phones on the market aren't close be being able to run DF, people complain enough about performance on modern desktop cpus but we can ignore that for now because of this point.

and last reason is easy update. ))

You have clearly never used objective c (which iPhone apps are made in), now I have nothing against objective c it's just different to c++ however it is significantly different and so not an easy 'update'.

This. Or possibly a stripped down front end that uses the terminal renderer for data streaming would work. That way we could still have the pretty graphics.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2010, 02:42:20 am »

Speaking as an iPhone developer...

it's really irritating to use their devkits.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:31 am »

This is most definitely impossible.

No, I don't think it is - at least for the iPad.

It's got a 1GHz single core CPU and 256MB RAM. There were lots of people playing 40d on that level hardware when 40d came out, and the iPad has hardware accelerated OpenGL so it'd get exactly the same boost from the merged code as the best desktop. 16GB storage for the low-end device, so the game would fit pretty well. Now, you'd probably want to play 2x2 embarks on pocket worlds, but from a hardware perspective, it's not that bad off. And the iPad cross-compiles reasonably well from Mac OS X, which already is supported.

That said, the interface is what kills it. Soft keyboard won't cut it and the game isn't mouse-enabled enough to swap in a touch interface, and I don't see that as a trivial undertaking.

Dwarf fortress can use up to a gig of ram during world generation.

The iPad runs an ARM Cortex a8 based processor with RISC architecture. It has reduced pipelining and branch prediction capabilities compared to x86 processors and requires 10% to 70% more instructions to perform the same work. So no, it isn't powerful enough for dwarf fortress.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 11:26:50 am »

Dwarf fortress can use up to a gig of ram during world generation.

The iPad runs an ARM Cortex a8 based processor with RISC architecture. It has reduced pipelining and branch prediction capabilities compared to x86 processors and requires 10% to 70% more instructions to perform the same work. So no, it isn't powerful enough for dwarf fortress.

I started playing 40d on a 1.25GHz G4 with 256MB RAM. The A8 is not significantly slower than that. Granted DF didn't run fast, but it was certainly playable within certain limitations. I'm not suggesting you could play a 5x5 embark or gen a massive world. In fact, I think I even said you might need to be limited to a 2x2 in a pocket world. But in a year or so my guess is that devices like the iPad should be up to dual-core A9 with 512MB (especially now that Apple is opening up multitasking) at which point things get a little more interesting. That's not because ARM/Atom hardware is gaining that quickly on desktop CPUs, rather performance gains on the desktop are coming largely due to more cores which DF can't take advantage of right now, and in single core performance the mobile stuff really is gaining steadily.

Still doesn't solve the interface problem which is a pretty massive problem, not just from a coding standpoint but also a game design standpoint. My point being that we won't see the game, not because its impossible from a hardware standpoint, but because the game is so keyboard dependent that it would require significant effort to make it viable on the currently available hardware.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:31 pm »

no

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »

As keyboard problem solution i offer use transparent keyboard layout as base. DF is shortcuts based game so most of screen area is uses for display game state only. Placing transparent keyboard over game screen is solution.
Look on my video to see what i mean. I play termDF on my iTouch with iSSH app. Sorry for horror breathing, i'm too close to mic))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHmASyYhOU

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »

I repeat what I said before.. iPhone 3Gs is most powerful PDA(iTouch) or Smartphone(iPhone) on this planet. It compared to IMac. Device with 150 000 apps for it. Many famous game conversions like NFS, Settlers, Nethack and etc. What can be strongest argument for porting DF to such device? Army of anything-instead-of-Apple users? ))
DF can bring a high-end gaming computer (yes, a PC, this isn't mac-hate) to crying on it's knees and you want to port it to the IPHONE?!

Generating world...
Error: processor not found
!!Iphone!! has been struck down.
Urist McUristUrist has been seared by flying circuitry!

Edit: Whoops, might help if I noticed there was a fourth page. I read what Martin posted about the Ipad, makes sense although the keyboard would be a pain. However, if you're going to use something that big, why not just get a laptop....?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:20:39 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]