Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF as an Iphone App  (Read 4845 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: DF as an Iphone App
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:21 pm »

Think about it.......

iPhone uses proprietary APIs, you'd have to pay to be a registered developer, also it only allows Cocoa and all apps must be written in Objective-C.

DF on Android on the other hand... Think about it ;)
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:29 pm »

seriously guys...  A full page of 'it's a big program that won't run on anything smaller than a decent modern desktop and even then has problems'....

A full page of it.

One person saying it is enough, the rest is just.  Being snide.

Yeah... ::)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 01:57:05 pm »

seriously guys...  A full page of 'it's a big program that won't run on anything smaller than a decent modern desktop and even then has problems'....

A full page of it.

One person saying it is enough, the rest is just.  Being snide.

Yeah... ::)
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:30:01 pm »

That was an amazing show.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:59 pm »

Hate to ask this, but what was the show?  I just felt like posting an image with "Welcome to the Internet" on it. 

Perhaps this could be taken to the social forum if there really needs to be a debate on forum etiquette, but I just think that no-one should be be surprised that instead of a simple "I don't believe this would work", there is a full page of discussion about how it wouldn't work. 

On an aside, the concept of a df-lite that runs on mobile devices amuses me.  Someone please make it so.  I run a wm6.1 pocketpc and would cheerfully contribute money to someone who got something working along those lines.  Which reminds me, I need to feed the Toady. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:24 pm »

Just because everyone does it, does not make it acceptable.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 04:39:29 pm »

The show in question was Freakazoid.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen,

Please can we just let this topic die.  Mobile communication device technology hasn't yet progressed to the point that it can comfortable run DF.  Just let it go for a year, maybe then the technology will be able to match my 10 year old desktop that can run DF.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 09:08:01 pm »

Also there is a slight problem with the screen as it's only 480x320 pixel. There is currently a requirement for 80 squares across and so even if we flip the iphone and use the 480 as the width we can only have 6 pixel squares.

Welcome to the world of tiny tilesets. There's even a 5x5 there!
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »

The show in question was Freakazoid.

The first episode of that show, or rather the origin of Freakazoid, TOTALLY freaked me out! It also made me realise that Freakazoid is at least part evil (In the sense that he is possessing the body of another person and putting him into submission)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »

They make peace eventually, you know.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 06:16:34 am »

11:15 started DF on my iPhone, founded a fortress
12:30 big immigrant wave, fortress now at 75 inhabitants as wel as lots of animals
11:35 something is smelling burned
11:37 iPhone melted due to processor overheating
No, like this:

Proteus has founded an iPhone *fortress*.
Proteus is unable to receive calls on the !!iPhone!!
Proteus has been struck down!
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »

I'm not sure this is the best direction for the game to go, but I could see a partial port: copy over your saves from a real computer, and play adventure-mode.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 04:38:16 pm »

Btw, probably a few years, and handheld computers will be so powerful that DF will run on them flawlessly. [If someone will be mazochistic enough to play DF on a handheld.. ;D]

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 09:25:33 pm »

DF on small devices has cropped up before. I think a Pocket PC would be more suitable with an actual (though tiny) keyboard. You could run DF on your home PC, but control and view it from the mobile device.
There is no possible way DF could run reasonably on the phone itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4