Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF as an Iphone App  (Read 4847 times)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
DF as an Iphone App
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:41:28 pm »

Think about it.......
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: DF as an Iphone App
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:43:47 pm »

The iphone isn't THAT much of a miracle device. Then again, we would need to know how powerful it is/compatability with the software...

Hmmm...

Then there is the small screen, the(I think) lack of keyboard, etc, etc...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:04:49 pm »

You're...kidding, right? It's nowhere near powerful enough, the display's too small, there's no keyboard (the virtual keyboard doesn't count for a keyboard-centric game like DF), and finally, why would Toady bother?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »

No offense but the Iphone is a rather weak device.

Of course it is a weak device that can do a ton of things... it just cannot do any of them better then a devoted machine.

With respect to Dwarf Fortress... if a Devoted computer can barely run it... Then the Iphone should just explode as if you filled it with C4

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:02 am »

As I've said multiple times before here, DF is nowhere close to being finished. Would you really want to develop two separate versions of a game at once, especially considering the differences in hardware?

P.S. I like how you started a topic and said pretty much nothing in your post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:59 am »

The chances that he works for the makers of Iphone is pretty good

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 02:51:13 am »

How about porting to my digital watch?

(just as senseful suggestion)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:25 am »

11:15 started DF on my iPhone, founded a fortress
12:30 big immigrant wave, fortress now at 75 inhabitants as wel as lots of animals
11:35 something is smelling burned
11:37 iPhone melted due to processor overheating

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:13:44 am »

No no no:
It is like this:

11.15 started iPhone
11.15 started DF
11.16 generate world
24:00 world finished
[sometimes before] iPhone melts.

This is why we don't play DF in crappy hardware. Your processor will melt, just by generation of worlds. And if there is no generation of world, it is not DF, period.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:34 am »

The Samsung chipset at the heart of the iPhone utilizes a 32-bit RISC ARM processing core, the ARM1176JZ(F)-S.  The ARM device is capable of running at 620MHz, but Apple has downclocked it to 412MHz, presumably in the interest of extending battery life.

Okay so assuming you jail broke is and can up the cpu speed to its limit, then you have a cpu that could run df with maybe a couple of fps (also don't forget we'll be software rendering opengl here)

Also there is a slight problem with the screen as it's only 480x320 pixel. There is currently a requirement for 80 squares across and so even if we flip the iphone and use the 480 as the width we can only have 6 pixel squares.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:21:37 am »

The Pandora might be possible as portable DF, the arm chip in it is only 600mhz (apparently clockable to 900) but it has hardware opengl as well as a larger screen.

I still think it would be too slow unless a special version was written for it though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 05:23:50 am »

And who writes that?
Not Toady, Hell No. For the love of the tentacle demons (emm), not him.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 05:27:02 am »

Think about it.......

Make your own DF like minigame on the iPhone if you can, but thats it.

Think about it!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 08:52:17 am »

seriously guys...  A full page of 'it's a big program that won't run on anything smaller than a decent modern desktop and even then has problems'....

A full page of it.

One person saying it is enough, the rest is just.  Being snide.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 09:02:04 am »

If you really can't stand being separated from your DF, why not run RDP/VNC to your machine running it. 

I've considered coming up with some sort of "remote dwarf" client/server solution, but I really just don't have the time, sort of a pipe dream. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4