Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50453 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

Well, at least they look not worse than Master of Magic ones, so that will do for me.

Also posting in this thread to simplify finding new updates on Elemental. Thanks, Tormy.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

Well, at least they look not worse than Master of Magic ones, so that will do for me.

I have to disagree with all my heart, but I am probably in a minority opinion here and either way it's nowhere near final.  Now I see why everyone hates releasing early screenshots.  :)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:38 pm »

Thanks, Tormy.

Ditto... This is my main source of information about...  something I'm extremely excited about.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »

I like the art style!

Shiny~

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »

City screenshots don't look easy to use (looking forwards to real interface shots), and the tactical shot with the fog and stuff looked very, very ugly.  Let's hope their shadows do what they're supposed to, but the colors and the cel shading look WAY off in combat to me.

That screenie is an ancient one. I agree that it looks a bit weird...it's too blurry or something. Hopefully they gonna show us some new combat shots soon enough. 
Also, never forget: We will be able to create gfx for everything in this game, so I am not really worried about the vanilla [unit] graphics. The art style is fantastic imo, and I really like these city screenshots also.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:45:24 pm by Tormy »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2009, 01:33:33 am »

I like the cut of this game's jib.  I love me a good 4X game.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:48 am »

Hm, I guess I will pre-order the game. I generally hate beta testing games, but this one really "deserves it". Anyone else plans to participate in the beta?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 04, 2009, 08:20:20 am »

it is a nice detail in those combat shots, that hurled troopers drop their weapons.
Too often in games the models have their armaments welded fast to their hands and never drop them even in death.

I'm not sure about the cellshaded/cartoonish aspect, but not too concerned either. Like ascii, it could stimulate the imagination and add depth through abstraction.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 04, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »

It *sounds* like it could potentially be great, but then so did Spore. And we all know what we got there.

I wouldn't pre-order it, personally. I'd wait until it comes out, and check out the reviews of it, before even considering buying it.

I'd also prefer to try the open beta, if there ends up being one, since demos tend to be short and can be misleading, and GalCiv II got very high ratings in reviews, and yet manages to bore and annoy me. I'll put this in spoiler tags so it doesn't spam up the thread as much unless you REALLY want to read it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:44 am »

It *sounds* like it could potentially be great, but then so did Spore. And we all know what we got there.

This is a Stardock game. Have you ever played with Galciv 2. + the expansions? You should know that this company cares about quality.  ;)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2009, 10:28:19 am »

This is a Stardock game. Have you ever played with Galciv 2. + the expansions? You should know that this company cares about quality.  ;)
I'd also prefer to try the open beta, if there ends up being one, since demos tend to be short and can be misleading, and GalCiv II got very high ratings in reviews, and yet manages to bore and annoy me. (...)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2009, 11:24:47 am »

Oops... :-X
Ah well, I loved Galciv 2. However it lacks 2 important things. 1. Tactical battles, 2. Multiplayer
Both of these will be available in Elemental.  8)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:07 am »

Also.
Modding.

That's the most FUN part.

Unlike GalCiv, which can't be modded anyway (I regard GalCiv II as their re-entry title into games again. And... it works, because they got income from their non-games commercials, and their director is the AI scripter.

THE AI SCRIPTER.
That's what made the AI so great... when compared to other games...

(Also: Tech tree, well, sucks. I hope there would be no tech tree here, except for magic.)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 05, 2009, 04:47:31 pm »

I can name quite a few things I really don't want to see from Galciv in Elemental.

Those goddamn space stations and constructors you have to build constantly and all over the place.

The extremely boring combat and ridiculously dumb weapon names. This includes the rock-paper-scissors element, ugly ugly ugly weapons, boring weapon effects, boring combat scenes, and basically everything related to combat.

Dull tech tree. Seriously, "Sensors I", "Sensors II", "Sensors III"...

Weird diplomacy menu choices. What's influence points? Why do they have to list every single bloody ship on the menu Why can't you check what exactly you are giving or recieving?

The lack of superlasers. There are none in Galciv. For a space game to have no giant frikkin' beams of light scorching the heavens and destroying planets is an affront to all that is good in this world. Sure, there's that star destroyer thing, but that laser is comparatively puny and isn't glorious to watch at all. I'm not sure how this would fit in a fantasy TBS, but we need a Stellar Converter in there.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:23 am »

stuff

I've noticed that the enemy won't notice troop buildups on lower difficulty levels, but it will on higher ones.  Although the AI still doesn't please me.

Microprose games (Civ, etc) has that annoying feature where if you start getting ahead, all of a sudden EVERY AI DOGPILES YOU regardless of being at peace, and nobody will trade with you if you're ahead...  GalCiv2 shows you what happens when that feature isn't in; the enemy squabbles amongst themselves while you remove yourself from the fights diplomatically, and they don't care that the one guy in the universe who isn't in any wars is building up a bigger army than all of them put together, and trading tech to get on top of the pile.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24