Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50503 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2009, 04:58:59 pm »

Think about it: You can train thousands of men for a dangerous- practically suicidal mission of entering and taking over an enemy ship - or you can hit the ship with a nuke.....

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »

Why do I get the sense that you're posting to the wrong thread...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2009, 07:28:21 pm »

Why? No spaceships in this game? Fail!

Okay, done trolling, but yeah, he posted in the wrong thread, obviously. xD

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 04, 2009, 07:20:35 am »

Think about it: You can train thousands of men and beasts for a dangerous- practically suicidal mission of entering and taking over an enemy stronghold - or you can cast dozens of global spells on the city, before the siege starts.....

I've fixed his sentence!  ;D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2009, 01:45:20 pm »

Countdown to Beta Zero - Spells, Spells, and more Spells!
http://forums.elementalgame.com/352520

Welcome to the first of several 'Countdown' journals leading up to the release of Beta 0. While we don't have a firm date for the release (several folks need to recoup from weeks of Demigod all-nighters), we still plan on getting Elemental's first playable form into your hands for June!

After seeing the amazing starships made by players (and reviewers) in GC2's ship designer, we decided fairly early to make customization a huge part of the Elemental experience. And while this has resulted in a longer tool-development period than GC2, the current results with those tools have been really exciting.

Case in point: our new Particle Engine (and coorisponding in-game Particle Editor). Obviously, since we're making a fantasy game, we would need some fantastic spells spell effects to get players excited. Besides spells, every weapon swung, item used, dungeon cleared, and acheivement acheived would require it's own special effect.  To acheve this we (Ross and Paul) created the Particle Editor, a mighty in-game workshop for the artists (and players) to create effects with.

We put the final few touches on version 1 of the editor last Wedensday and gave it to Akil and Dan (two of our artists) to create spells with. In just TWO DAYS, they had the tool learned and had created their first 4 spell-ready effects.

Beckon Home
A spell for the adventurer that just wants to get home to heal up. 'Beckon Home' sends any unit to a friendly settlement.

Flare
A ball of fire burns away the FOW and gies you full view of a selected part of the map. Flare uses both Fire mana and a small amount of essence. Think of it as the 'Eye of Sauron: Lite'.

Sublime Harvest
Feed your people with some magical rations! Sublime Harvest tops up a settlement's food supply, using both Earth mana and a pinch of your essence.

Pyrostorm
Burn away a section of forest or any unused Fertile Ground with Pyrostorm.

The in-game Particle editor, despite requiring additional up-front dev time, will allow anyone with a crazy spell idea to get their creation into the game easilly (then use the online Library to let them share it). Besides this, the final boxed game will have an Item Editor, Equipment Editor, Tile Design Editor (more about TD's later), the World Builder, and any other editors we can cram in 

Next week we'll talk about World Creation and the adventures you'll be going on! Till then, please send your good vibes to the Demigod team as they (hopefully) wrap up a very rough month.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:58 pm »

*HUGE UPDATES!*

Part 1.

Getting back to Elemental
http://forums.elementalgame.com/352655

As Elemental players know, I had been on Elemental since early this year. Then…Demigod was released and the online experience for that game has been a total cluster.  So I had to “assign myself” to Demigod to figure out what the deal was and make sure it got fixed.
In my view, too many moving parts. I’m not a huge fan of multiplayer-centric games in the first place. I’m particularly not a fan of peer to peer multiplayer-centric games on the PC because on the PC, unlike on the console, the developer is stuck writing this stuff – or in Demigod’s case, the publisher had to go out and license stuff which turned out to be a disaster. 
But now my time on Demigod is starting to come to an end – at least in terms of it dominating my life.  I’m looking forward to working on a game that we’re both developing and publishing so I don’t have to take a beating for things I can’t really do anything about.

Ramifications

I had to assign both Cari and Jesse (our two top game developers) to Demigod to largely rewrite the multiplayer system. This will have an impact on Elemental’s schedule. Sorry. People paid good money for Demigod and you know me, I am not about assigning blame or caring whose fault something is so my attitude is that the problem had to be solved quickly.

They’re still on Demigod this week working with developer Gas Powered Games on a slew of new APIs that will let the game be expanded well into the future. Then they can get back to Elemental next week.

Demigod’s impact on Elemental

The good news is that because we ended up having to develop our own multiplayer module to help with Demigod, we can use that on Elemental.  Now, to be crystal clear: Elemental is a single player centric game. It will have multiplayer but to be honest, I’m not willing to sacrifice a single feature of the game for multiplayer.  So if multiplayer is your main thing, you might as well stay away from Elemental.

That said, here are a few things that multiplayer in Elemental will have:

1. Multiplayer games will be hosted by us. Period. No peer to peer. Not even hosted on the user’s box. Our servers. No ports, no proxies, nothing. We’re hosting it.
2. I’m killing off the bots concept. People hate them. I thought they were cool but they’re too much work only to be hated. So there won’t be artificial players.
3. We will support empires (clans), scheduled games, and group join from the start since those features will get added (by us) to Demigod.

Fewer moving parts

We are revisiting the way the economy works in Elemental to simplify it.  There’s been some positive developments that I can’t talk about yet. The short version though is there will be likely be a lot lot lot more story to Elemental than anything we’ve done before.  Each sand box game should feel like an epic story if we do it right. We’ll see.

Release dates

I can say that Beta 0 is not going to happen in June now.  We might be able to do an Alpha then but that will only go out to a very tiny number of people (maybe 100 tops).  I’m reserving 10 places and the rest will come from the pre-order pool as a lottery with points given to those who have GalCiv II + Sins + Demigod.  Beta 0 would likely be July at this point but I’ll know more at the end of the week.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:36:20 pm by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »

Part 2.

Elemental: Internal debates made external
http://forums.elementalgame.com/352821

So how complicated (as internal critics put it) or sophisticated (as internal advocates put it) should the Elemental economic system be?
We have the code in for handling a pretty sophisticated/complicated economic engine.  But the debate is, is the system sophisticated? Or just complicated.

Let me give you the arguments of each camp.
Camp #1: “Sophisticated”

1. Everything in Elemental is a resource. Food, metal, swords, armor, horses, you  name it. 

2. Resources can be processed into other resources.  Iron Ore into a Sword.

3. Part of the fun of the game would be running a proper empire (or letting AI governors take care of it). 

Example:

A mine is built on an iron resource. The mine produces 10 units of iron ore per turn. That iron ore is then directed to go to the city of Torgeto where a blacksmith is able to produce 5 swords per turn. The unused iron ore is stored in a warehouse that can store up to 100 units of iron ore.

Those swords can be directed to be shipped to various other places (with sliders or other UI  means to determine what ratio goes where). 

In some of those places, the swords are issued to soldiers. In other places, the swords are sent to an alchemist workshop who, taking potions that have been shippped in from Wellford which in turn had taken Aeoronic crystal mined in another town to turn into those potions.  The resulting magical swords are then shipped out to various places with the player (or governor) able to control the ratio in which they are shipped.

Caravans appear on the map to show the items being shipped. If those caravans are attacked, the items are lost.

Camp #2: “Simple and Fun”

1. There are only natural resources (food, iron, crystal, horses, etc.).

2. When a natural resource is controlled, the player assigns that resource to a specific town.

3. Only that town can make use of it. Towns that don’t have a resource assigned it cannot build units that require those resources.

Example:

Unlike camp 1, there are no ratio sliders to mess with. A resource is assigned to a particular town. That makes certain towns more strategic than others and a lot less micro management.  On the other hand, it means that there will be many towns that can only build weaker units.   Players can research technologies that increase the base (weaker) unit that cities can build over time but some cities will simply be more important than others.

Caravans would still flow from the natural resource to the target town and if those caravans are attacked, the enemy player gains a bonus and the victim player would get a penalty to their production until the next caravan arrives.

The Argument

Camp 1 argues that a lot of fun can be had in putting together ever more sophisticated and specialized items. If natural resources can be processed into new resources that can in turn be processed again and again and again, you can reward players who might be able to equip elite crack soldiers with very rare but very powerful weapons and armor.

Camp 2 argues that while some people would enjoy that, it would result in a lot of people who would find that system burdensome and turn them off to the game entirely. It also says that those who do like the camp 1 system would still be satisfied with camp 2 where those who like camp 2 would probably be totally turned off if the camp 1 system were used.  In addition, they argue that Elemental has so much other “stuff” to it (sophisticated diplomacy, tactical battles, quests, etc.) that many players might find they have to rely on AI governors which would put a heavy burden on having really “smart” AI.

Now personally, I could go either way.  I do like the idea of players having to choose certain towns that are absolutely strategic.  But I also like the idea of being able to have “processed” manufacturing that can keep specializing things until you get some rare but very valuable things.

On the other hand, I’m also worried that a complex system could turn out to fall apart in actual practice (the user interface for it would have to be incredibly good) and then we’d be stuck having to go to camp 2 late in development.

What do you think?

UPDATE: 5/21/2009
Camp #3: The Merchant

Today we looked at the feedback from here and Quarter to Three and came up with a way that may satisfy both camps and increases the fun overall. 

1. Everything is a resource.

2. Resources can be processed into other resources (iron to swords, crops to food, crystal to potions).

3. Resources are sent automatically to other towns based on the resource needs of that town. No micromanagement, no AI.

4. The fun of this portion of the game would be in watching your empire grow organically.

Example:

There are no ratios to set. If I build a town with a blacksmith, then one presumes I did that because I want to produce stuff that requires a blacksmith. If I build (or upgrade) more blacksmiths, then one presumes this town is a place where I want to crank out a lot of stuff.

Similarly, if I build a town with multiples barracks it presumes I am trying to train soldiers which means that stuff should be shipped there, particularly if I’m in the process of building a particularly type of soldier.

Caravans (which aren’t player controlled) send out regular shipments of resources to the various towns.  When these shipments arrive, they’re available for use on demand or, if the town has a warehouse, they are stored.

When players design a unit, they choose a category of weapon and that category of weapon (whether in the field or in a warehouse) will automatically upgrade as my tech gets better.  A short sword doesn’t become a long sword or anything like that. But A short sword would automatically become a better short sword if I research tech that improves is in order to remove the complexity of having to “upgrade” units.  However, the cost of keeping a soldier in the field will be fairly high and since soldiers come from population, there’s a real down side to keeping throngs of soldiers idle.

In addition, by building roads, my caravans will arrive a lot quicker (3X faster).  Similarly, I have to keep my supply lines secure.

This also opens the door for a lot more trading. Rather than just having “food” you can have “crops”.  Crops are processed into food and can be traded with other civilizations or used by special buildings (Inns, restaurants, etc.) to increase prestige (which adds to influence).

It also allows players to have the game be very simple (just keep everything local) or highly sophisticated (have weaponry go through multiple processes – a magic sword processed by a Aereon Forge doubles its damage. The town with the Aereon forge is the one that would get on the priority list of magic swords and the Aereon blades produced would be sent to the town with the barracks that is producing your “Night Guard” or whatever you call your designed unit.

But in this way, there’s no real UI other than providing players the ability to close down shops in a city or expedite their priority to get more stuff sent to them. The player remains the king/emperor and not a logistics manager but at the same time is the architect for success of their kingdom’s economy if they so choose.

Thoughts on that update?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

Part 3.

Making your own worlds
http://forums.elementalgame.com/353104

I’m a map junkie. I love making maps.  I even bought a program called Campaign Cartographer years ago just to make maps.

One of the features of Elemental is, not surprisingly, a map editor. But the map editor is also being designed so that you can export your creations so you can easily print them out and such.

The map editor will let users build theri own mountain ranges, forests, swamps, you name it.

Of course, it’s also useful that you will be able to then play on these maps with your friends and share them online but just the ability to make your own worlds sounds fun to me anyway.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2009, 02:08:23 pm »

Very nice.  I can see myself creating maps just to use for D&D campaigns.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2009, 05:36:48 am »

Wow, looking impressive.  You`ll definitely have my money when the cloth-board beta comes out. 
My vote is for option number 1.  Love the caravan idea.  All kinds of interesting situations could arise if player A needs the ore from a mine only found in a certain distant region, and player B and C send raiding parties on suicide missions just to limit traffic from the mine. 
On the other hand, I think it would be well-nigh unworkable without a LOT of AI governors that you could turn on and off to decide how much micromanagement you want.  Personally, I like a lot of micro at the beginning of a game, and to be able to reduce it significantly as my empire grows. 
But maybe that`s just wanting to have my cake and eat it too....
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2009, 01:16:15 pm »

Yep, option 1. looks decent, especially if it's combined with the "merchant idea". As for AI governors...I am pretty sure that we gonna have those. It's a Stardock game afterall.  ;)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2009, 01:17:39 am »

Obviously we're going to go with option 1; we're Dwarf Fortress players!

But not everyone thinks that losing is fun.   :P
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2009, 07:48:42 am »

I would actualy prefere option 3, since that means your empire is at least partialy managing itself, which in my opinion is much realisticer and feels much better.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2009, 08:02:40 am »

I would actualy prefere option 3, since that means your empire is at least partialy managing itself, which in my opinion is much realisticer and feels much better.

QFT

Still, need a good governor AI.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:40 am »

When you have a large empire, I agree.  But in early and mid game, especially in early game, I like to have as much control over my resources as possible.  It gives you something to do early on when you don`t control many resources, and prevents early game from being something you just have to click through until the real game starts.
That said, it could also auto-scale...early on, micromanaging, and then later (for example, when you have 10 cities or somesuch) you could pass from the "village" stage to the "empire" stage, and drop the micromanagement that now has become a hassle...
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24