Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50544 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2009, 01:08:42 pm »

Should we plan a community mod for it? I expect a lot of current oddities will be fixed by then, and new ones will be added, but with proper effort our dwarves will be the best mod for this game. Barrels of booze as one of the primary resources alongside training...

I wonder if we could include HFS into the game?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:16 pm »

Should we plan a community mod for it? I expect a lot of current oddities will be fixed by then, and new ones will be added, but with proper effort our dwarves will be the best mod for this game. Barrels of booze as one of the primary resources alongside training...

Sure, that is a good idea. What do you have in mind?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2009, 02:52:00 pm »

Well, since we know relatively little of the game so far, I can't plan much. What we do know of the game suggests massive semblance to the planned DF structure, and as such it's not going to be very difficult to envision. If a total DF convertion is to take place, we need all four of the major races present, each with their respective quirks. Dwarves don't have mounts, for one. I can hardly see a dwarf riding anything short of an ancient black dragon. With dwarves being the disruptive kind they are, they'll have very bad relations with all the minor races except perhaps the gnomes, but they'll have ludicrous building speed and combat prowess to make up for it. Humans are the average do-gooders, with equally mediocre relations with everyone, and their battle techniques are old-fashioned, but they put much effort into proper training and can negotiate their way out of a battle they feel they cannot win. The elves are... elves. They hardly have any proper buildings and are able to rebuild what they lose fairly quickly. They are master hunters and treeworkers (in a sense that they work with living trees rather than dead wood) and have all the beasts of the forest (and other places) at their command, which makes for pretty powerful and diverse armies. Or would, if they could actually pose a significant threat to a well-trained well-equipped squad of soldiers, since the combat skills and physique of any individual elf are laughable. The goblins are the elves multiplied by the humans - numerous, aggressive, posessing a variety of evil creatures at their mercy, and though just as bad in combat as the elves, they at least pose a challenge since they are tough. The goblins build rather rarely, preferring to capture and use existing settlements, but when they do they build massive aboveground citadels, of size and complexity bordering on ludicrous.

That's as much as I can see for the moment, we'll have to wait for a beta of the game to see how stuff works.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2009, 02:57:37 pm »

Hmm...Elves do have one advantage over the other races - increased speed. That, coupled with ranged weapons, makes them pretty nasty archers. It also helps them run away. :P

I wonder if we can make them eat their dead foes after a victory?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15:34 am »

Well, since we know relatively little of the game so far, I can't plan much. What we do know of the game suggests massive semblance to the planned DF structure, and as such it's not going to be very difficult to envision. If a total DF convertion is to take place, we need all four of the major races present, each with their respective quirks. Dwarves don't have mounts, for one. I can hardly see a dwarf riding anything short of an ancient black dragon. With dwarves being the disruptive kind they are, they'll have very bad relations with all the minor races except perhaps the gnomes, but they'll have ludicrous building speed and combat prowess to make up for it. Humans are the average do-gooders, with equally mediocre relations with everyone, and their battle techniques are old-fashioned, but they put much effort into proper training and can negotiate their way out of a battle they feel they cannot win. The elves are... elves. They hardly have any proper buildings and are able to rebuild what they lose fairly quickly. They are master hunters and treeworkers (in a sense that they work with living trees rather than dead wood) and have all the beasts of the forest (and other places) at their command, which makes for pretty powerful and diverse armies. Or would, if they could actually pose a significant threat to a well-trained well-equipped squad of soldiers, since the combat skills and physique of any individual elf are laughable. The goblins are the elves multiplied by the humans - numerous, aggressive, posessing a variety of evil creatures at their mercy, and though just as bad in combat as the elves, they at least pose a challenge since they are tough. The goblins build rather rarely, preferring to capture and use existing settlements, but when they do they build massive aboveground citadels, of size and complexity bordering on ludicrous.

That's as much as I can see for the moment, we'll have to wait for a beta of the game to see how stuff works.

Sounds good.  :)

I don't think so...but we don't know everything about the features/modding tools/scripting..in fact we only have some basic informations so far...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »

Sounds good.  :)

I don't think so...but we don't know everything about the features/modding tools/scripting..in fact we only have some basic informations so far...

It's pretty much confirmed that a system of cows=leather armor is in(without the explicit mention of cows ofcourse) so it sholdn't be too hard to mod a playable race to be another races food.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »

Hmm...Elves do have one advantage over the other races - increased speed. That, coupled with ranged weapons, makes them pretty nasty archers. It also helps them run away. :P

That actually sounds trivial, to me.  In Master of Magic, living humanoids killed mostly by ghouls would raise back up as ghouls after battle, and many types of monster would regenerate to full health, I believe...So it's reasonable that it would track that sort of thing.  I don't see why you couldn't say "any elves in a force that wins a battle get healed based on the number of killed living enemy creatures".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2009, 02:17:35 pm »

Sean, just a question: What about magic? The magic system will be extremely well detailed in Elemental, not to mention the powerful modding tools... we will be able to design completely new spells even. So, there must be some magic system in the DF community mod also. We would be idiots if we wouldn't exploit the possibilities of the game. [Plus, don't forget... we gonna have magic in DF also.]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2009, 03:29:21 pm »

To me, it's absolutely obvious.
The dwarves have runic magic - mostly echantments and traps, but going into the field of summoning (golems), and epic-level destruction (runes are basically carving or drawing stuff - now imagine a rune the size of Texas carved by dwarven picks). The magic they use is that of earth and fire, and they are masters of them, but branching into most others requires immense effort.
Humans are wizards and clerics, devoting their lifetimes to studying the secrets of the universe. Being humans, they practice evocation-type (direct damage) schools the most, though don't disregard illusions and enchantments. They use all elemental magic equally easily, but don't excel at anything.
Elves have druids that tap into the power of nature. Their magic focuses on creating and protecting, which means a lot of summoning and alteration. They excel with summons, and magic is the only way to build their most important constructions. Earth and water are specifically powerful elements in elven magic, while fire and dark powers are completely shunned.
Goblins are shamans that hardly ever practice direct damage. They are able to use their shamanic rituals to create creatures, bestow massive curses, and sometimes enchant items. The goblins exclusively use dark powers and fire due to their demon masters, and can never use light or water magic. The upside to their magic is that shamanic magic can call forth the most massive effects, especially if you consider that the amount of energy released through a ritual is directly proportionate to the strength and number of the shamans, and the duration of the ritual.

In short, when attacking a Ancient Red Dragon:
Dwarves engrave a "violent explosion" rune onto a steak and throw it into the dragon's maw.
Humans cast Freeze, then Fireball.
Elves summon three Green Dragons.
Goblins dance around a totem for a week and the dragon dies from spontaneous massive existence failure.

:)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2009, 03:31:48 pm »

Actually, the steak, thrown by the dwarves, would kill the dragon. Just by throwing it. Not the explosion.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:54 am »

Good ideas Sean. So let's see in short...
Dwarves - Earth/Rune magic
Elves - Nature magic
Goblins or Orcs [why not! We must mod them in  ;D] - Dark rituals (Shamans)
Humans - Varied [I see no problems with having evil human civs also, so according to alignments, the various human civs should focus on different specific spell schools.]

Side note: Perhaps we should mod in new races also, lizardmen is a good example I guess.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:09:00 am by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2009, 09:31:57 am »

Elemental: Community Support Part I
http://forums.elementalgame.com/344071

Now for those of you who know me, none of this will come as a shock.  For Elemental, one of our chief goals is to make a game where the community can keep it going forever and ever.

That means automating as much as possible in game from our standpoint. We want people to mod and mod and mod the game. For instance, if someone wanted to make Carcassonne (I think that’s what it’s called) I want people to be able to do that with Elemental.

What people don’t understand about Elemental is that it’s really the first 3D gaming engine to be made specifically for strategy games in years. This is a big deal because there are some huge differences between a game that’s designed to be played 1st person and one that is designed to be viewed third person in terms of what features the engine is optimized for.

I’d like to see the Elemental engine be able to be used in lots of interesting ways.

---

Pretty awesome concept, isn't it?  8)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2009, 10:48:56 am »

The Spring Project is way ahead of them in that particular regard. And it's free too. What it lacks is the global map, or the tactical map, depending on what you make your game to be. And it lacks a central "game" in its base, because what it was built for - Total Annihilation - is not free and its content cannot really be distributed like that. They even went so far as to call projects for the engine "games" instead of "mods" like they used to be. It also has its own editors (well, sort of) and a nice scripting engine.

But of course, seeing this kind of thing in a large-scale commercial project is very pleasing. Spore lacks this.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:35 am »

I'm hoping that even if the game itself falls flat the mods for it will make the purchase worthwhile.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24