Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50567 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2009, 09:12:28 am »

Update!  8)
Elemental: Text Assets
http://forums.elementalgame.com/338042

"Well today I have to start putting together all the assets that are going to need translation so that we can get that going.

For Elemental, the plan is to have a much much higher level of writing quality than we had in previous games by bringing on professional authors and editors to help.

So what sorts of things do we have in mind?

The Factions

There are 12 named factions (races) in Elemental. In addition, players will be able to create and submit their own factions to be shared by other users.

Each of the 12 named factions will have its own history and back story.  Those factions are:

Kingdom of Altar
Kingdom of Yoren
Kingdom of Gildren
Kingdom of Tarth
Kingdom of Capitar
Kingdom of Ithul
Empire of Uthugul
Empire of Calax
Empire of Turzog
Empire of Izen
Empire of Dol-Sirion
Empire of Korin
The Kingdoms are of men, the Empires are made up of the Fallen.

Technology Trees

The technology in Elemental is largely the same for each faction with a handful of distinctive early game features that enable special buildings and units per faction.

There are roughly 20 different technologies.  This seems low because of the way (far more fun IMO) technologies are implemented.  Instead of there being "Advanced Swordsmanship" or something players instead choose a more generalized tech and the more they research into it, the better that stat gets. Spell books are where the more literary interesting stuff comes in.

Spell Books

Men and Fallen get completely unique spell books.  The spells are broken into the 5 different schools of magic:

Earth. Air. Fire. Water. Life/Death. 

Each of the 5 schools will have around 20 different spells in them.

Quests

Unlike previous strategy games Stardock has developed, Elemental will have optional quests. How in-depth these get will really depend on how much time we have.  But ideally, we would like players to be able to see their sovereign as a quasi-RPG unit that can go out and deal with a particular quest.

There would be a huge, and ever growing, quest pool for the game to make use of.

We are budgeting for an initial quest pool of around 500 quests. 

The Campaign

Like the GalCiv series, Elemental will thrive the most in its sandbox mode.  Unlike GalCiv, our intention is for the campaign in Elemental to have a lot more to it.  We'll have a firmer idea of this later once we figure out how powerful the engine can be made in the time we have with it."

The Fallen
http://forums.elementalgame.com/338162

The Titans of old long used men as pawns in their proxy wars on Elemental. But men were often unpredictable.

It came to pass that some of the Titans with the darkest of motives began to take the strongest, most ruthless, most consistently evil of men and used them as the basis to create a new race of mortal - The Fallen.

The architecture of the Fallen is very alien from that of men. More savage. More violent. But also more practical.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2009, 12:58:12 pm »

higher writing quality OH THANK GOD

After seeing the tech descriptions in GalCivII, I never, ever want their writers to get near a game again.

No offense.  But while Alpha Centauri's great flavor text was a driving force in researching the next tech, GalCivII's literally made me want to stop playing.  And I kind of did.  AC's made you want to research every tech eventually, and you come to know the quotes by heart.  GalCivII's made me more apathetic than if there were no descriptions at all..
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:25 pm »

higher writing quality OH THANK GOD

After seeing the tech descriptions in GalCivII, I never, ever want their writers to get near a game again.

No offense.  But while Alpha Centauri's great flavor text was a driving force in researching the next tech, GalCivII's literally made me want to stop playing.  And I kind of did.  AC's made you want to research every tech eventually, and you come to know the quotes by heart.  GalCivII's made me more apathetic than if there were no descriptions at all..

Heh, then I suggest to do your best to avoid Space Rangers 2.  The Russian "Engrish" in that game blows any problems GalCiv II has out of the water.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:12 pm »

No, I bet it doesn't.  GalCiv2's tech descriptions were frequently copouts like "Uh, the marketing team was out to lunch, so we guess Laser IV is better than Laser III" or "Laser V is better than Laser IV...somehow".  Literally, that was the quality level.  There were a LOT of variations on that theme.  They read like sample text descriptions that were meant to be replaced later.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2009, 03:49:30 am »

I don't like the fallen building style at all. Far too orky.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2009, 07:23:20 am »

I don't like the fallen building style at all. Far too orky.

Well, if you don't like it, you will be able to change it.  ;D
The game will be very mod friendly you know...I am pretty sure that there will be hundreds and thousands of unit&building models/overland gfx stuff/spell effects etc. released by the modders...just think about Civ 4. for example.  :)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:17 am »

No, I bet it doesn't.  GalCiv2's tech descriptions were frequently copouts like "Uh, the marketing team was out to lunch, so we guess Laser IV is better than Laser III" or "Laser V is better than Laser IV...somehow".  Literally, that was the quality level.  There were a LOT of variations on that theme.  They read like sample text descriptions that were meant to be replaced later.

You were talking about those!?  Those descriptions were great!  I won't go so far as to call them Monty Python-esque, but I will say they tried.  They injected some humor into a space game, and there can't be anything wrong with that.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:39 pm »

Elemental: EARLY test of the engine
http://forums.elementalgame.com/338979

"This was an early engine test. The guys made me promise to put a disclaimer that the final game will not look like this and that it’s MUCH better looking than this." Posted by Frogboy

-------

Whoa, this looks pretty awesome already.  8)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »

Indeed. Awesome cel-shaded graphics.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2009, 05:04:22 pm »

Now imagine a huge multi-tile megalopolis in that style. Damn. That game would be beautiful even to look at, not only play. When was the planned release date, 2011? Majesty 2 is coming a little sooner, so I guess we'll have at least something to pass the time with until then...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2009, 06:45:56 pm »

Do you think a Quad-Core with 4 gigs of RAM would be able to run this game?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:13 pm »

Now imagine a huge multi-tile megalopolis in that style. Damn. That game would be beautiful even to look at, not only play. When was the planned release date, 2011? Majesty 2 is coming a little sooner, so I guess we'll have at least something to pass the time with until then...

Nah, Elemental will be released in Q1 2010. Majesty 2. will be released pretty soon: Q1 2009.  :)

Definitely.  :)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2009, 07:10:40 am »

Knowing stardock you could probably run 6 instances of the game on your pc ;)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2009, 09:05:40 am »

Who needs realistic graphics when you can have graphics like that? They're less resource intensive, stylish and pleasant to look at.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24