Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50558 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2008, 10:38:30 am »

Dev Journal has been updated!
http://forums.elementalgame.com/330749

Elemental's persistent world

"Elemental, like Galactic Civilizations, will have a very in-depth single player world.  In fact, in terms of the single player game, it will have a lot more "stuff" to it than GalCiv had (such as a virtual persistent single player opponent which we'll talk more as time goes on).

But it will be in multiplayer that we really hope to bring new fans to the genre.

I love multiplayer games. But I am not an advocate of them in terms of taking resources up from the single player game for most types of PC games.  That's because, as a practical matter, relatively few people play on-line.  Not because they can't but because it's just usually not worth the hassle.

Playing on-line can take a long time, it can be frustrating and it can often end up as a total waste because of dropouts, crashes, whatever.

To address this, Elemental is going to add some new multiplayer options that we think will really help expand the interest in multiplayer.

One of those options is the persistent world: Empire vs. Kingdom.  In it, players choose a side - The Empire or The Kingdom.  Having chosen that, players then play on-line with various other players who are trying to help their side - The Empire or The Kingdom conquer the world of Elemental.  Each battle takes place on a tiny part of the overall world of Elemental.  Their opponents and friends are a mixture of real users and AI users based on what is necessary.

The AI work in Elemental is a little bit beyond what we've done before.  We are aiming to provide virtual AI players who are competing in the game like a real player would.  These virtual AI players would be able to join games (if no one else is available, real people get first dibs on joining games) and would play much like real people do (GalCiv players have an idea of what we mean).

Part of my work, as the AI developer at Stardock, would be to create lots of these virtual players, each with their own personalities and strategies, so that they're prepared to join up in games and provide varying degrees of a challenge to human players.

The idea here is to let people be able to get into games on-line and play without a lot of hassle remembering that this is an additional option to the other multiplayer modes available.

We'll be talking more in the future about how the Kingdom vs. Empire persistent multiplayer experience works later."

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »

So, is the single player a sandbox, or no?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:14:36 pm by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2008, 04:08:06 pm »

So, is the single player a snadbox, or no?

There will be more singleplayer modes -> Sandbox & Campaign. You will be able to create a campaign also of course.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:48 am »

The dev journal has been updated again! [nothing serious this time  :)]

http://forums.elementalgame.com/331127

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2008, 12:55:03 pm »

Dang, that's aiming high for AI design.  The game looks good, but that's not an easy AI target..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »

Dang, that's aiming high for AI design.  The game looks good, but that's not an easy AI target..

Yep that's for sure. The game will be very complex...not to mention the player made contents..but according to Brad, the AI will be so intelligent, that it will use all of the player made stuff [races, units, spells etc.] properly.  :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2008, 05:53:36 am »

I really like the economy system thing. In addition to being more or less revolutionary (it's not unique, but rarely used), it makes the game more like the single most underappreciated 4X game out there, Remember Tomorrow. It wasn't all that good altogether, but it had all these right ideas that couldn't be correctly implemented back in those days in Russia. It didn't have separate blaster factories, but it did have this material supply/demand thing, albeit a little simplified. And the unit construction was very detailed, and forcing you to take available materials into account. I'm wondering what research system will EWoM have, but I'm fairly sure that at least in this regard it won't be like RT, unless the guys over at Stardock brew up something crazy.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2008, 07:48:29 am »

Yeah, I was also wondering about the research system...but we don't know too much about it right now. I am pretty sure that the devs will release lot of new infos in the upcoming months. Oh and this Elemental beta will be epic. They won't end the beta until they feel that the game is in "perfect condition". Amazing.. 8)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2008, 12:46:11 pm »

I've got to see if I can get in on this beta.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2008, 04:39:29 pm »

I've got to see if I can get in on this beta.

If you pre-order the game, you will be in the beta, just like everyone else. However IIRC there will be an open beta also later on.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2008, 04:59:51 pm »

I guess I won't be in the closed initial beta then, but then again, someone will probably leak the thing. :D I'd love to partake in the open beta though. As much as I'd like to purchase the game, I have no feasible way of obtaining it (I doubt Impulse lets you use Download Master, and I need that to use my 8-hour free traffic window, as well as resume downloads), so I probably won't bother until someone releases it here. I do have a Visa now though, so I may as well try. I just need to figure out a way to losslessly convert RUR to USD. >_>
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2008, 10:53:35 pm »

I guess I won't be in the closed initial beta then, but then again, someone will probably leak the thing. :D I'd love to partake in the open beta though. As much as I'd like to purchase the game, I have no feasible way of obtaining it (I doubt Impulse lets you use Download Master, and I need that to use my 8-hour free traffic window, as well as resume downloads), so I probably won't bother until someone releases it here. I do have a Visa now though, so I may as well try. I just need to figure out a way to losslessly convert RUR to USD. >_>

Impulse allows you to resume downloads.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2008, 01:51:08 am »

will the AI learn?
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2008, 08:50:35 am »

will the AI learn?

I have no idea..but according to Brad, it will be the best singleplayer AI what ever made.  :)
I was lazy to install irc, but I will install it...so that I will be able to ask the devs about various stuffs.  8)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2008, 09:52:35 am »

will the AI learn?

I have no idea..but according to Brad, it will be the best singleplayer AI what ever made.  :)
I was lazy to install irc, but I will install it...so that I will be able to ask the devs about various stuffs.  8)

Use chatzilla? It's free, easy to install, and comes WITH firefox. Not too powerful but meh. It still gets stuffs done.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24