Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50525 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:41 am »

And it looks more and more like Remember Tomorrow. In that game, when you designed a ship, you had to make choices (though the data for it was cunningly hidden away on the underside of a small screen) for component placement - you could kit your ship with the newest available generators and reinforced riidium armor, but if you're doing that when your riidium reserves start drying out, you're going to have to wait a darn large amount of time until resources are accumulated to start building your project.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2008, 08:30:42 pm »

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

My biggest fear: on April 1, 2009 they'll do a press release that just says "Hey guys, Elemental:War of Magic was a prank.  April Fools!  ...Also, we're sold ourselves to EA, not an April Fools..."

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2008, 01:16:16 am »

the fantasy strategy game i  most fondly remember is Master of Monsters fro the sega genesis.  it was clean (except for the Stupid Animated Cut Scenes for each and every attack---AAARRRRGGGGHHHh!)  and deep(well the ai was weak and it needed a random map generator).  That is the kind of game would like to play.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2008, 10:06:33 am »

My biggest fear: on April 1, 2009 they'll do a press release that just says "Hey guys, Elemental:War of Magic was a prank.  April Fools!  ...Also, we're sold ourselves to EA, not an April Fools..."

Uh, that option is non-existant thankfully.  ;D
PS.
I hope that some of you guys will be interested in multiplayer matches also. I will be able to host epic campaigns even, since I am on a 64bit OS already, plus this computer is quite decent. [But it's also possible that I will buy a new high-end system in the next year anyway.] :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:08:19 am by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2008, 08:08:55 am »

..a bit more about dragons:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/329873/page/2

"In Elemental, dragons are a very very big deal.  For most players, they're more like forces of nature. You won't be easily able to get them on your side because they're just too powerful.

1 Elder dragon could wipe out 1000 soldiers easily.

Until you've built up your charisma/diplomacy skills, best to stay the heck away from a dragon.  There are other creatures in the world (lots of different types) that you can make use of either in terms of domestication or easier to recruit."

----

It looks like that Brad is obsessed with Dragons...  ;D

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:32 am »

All the info looks promising but that trailer kinda sucked.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2008, 09:39:53 am »

All the info looks promising but that trailer kinda sucked.

Eh, it wasn't a "trailer" actually. We won't see any "real" trailers in the near future...probably they gonna release one before the open beta.

More infos:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/329478
Q: "I have a follow on question ... will we be able to equip our troops with magical attributes?
So my soldier would have a sword, plate armour, horse, helm and shield. Could I also give him magic resistance and healing and call him a Paladin. ?"
A: "Yep. You could equip them with magic swords, armor, etc.  It would be expensive but yea, the player can decide just how nasty they want their troops to be.
Channeler imbues some of his essence in having an enchanted armory. The enchanted armory produces +2 plate. The plate is then shipped to your various cities (players can control priority).  Player can create a unit and equip them with this magic plate.
It sounds more complicated than it is."

http://forums.elementalgame.com/330108
Q:"User generated content seems to be a key element of this game, but will the AI actually be able to make real use of the new content on its own or has the AI to be modified for each new content?"
A:"The AI will automatically make use of user generated tech."

http://forums.elementalgame.com/330111
Q:"As the game progresses, do other ways to found cities that do not require essence expenditure, become available?"
A:"Yes, you'll be able to lay seige to neighboring settlements, or perhaps you find a abandoned village that, once freed of the infestation of monsters, is free for you to inhabit and rebuild.
At the start of the game, building a new city should be a major decision."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:46:56 am by Tormy »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:23 am »

Yay for troop costumization! Oh the fun i had with galciv2's ship editor in my quest to make the perfect suicide drone swarmer(tiny hull, biggest gun available and an engine). In sufficient numbers they wreck everything.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:14 am »

More infos again!:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/329813/page/3

"The world is heavy in types of magic creatures.  But your civilization's ability to make use of those magical creatures depends on the skill of the player.

The world has dire wolves, dragons, drakes, trolls, etc.  But the ability to get these things into your army requires a great deal of skill.

It's not like you get to conquer a city and start cranking out trolls or something. 

Let me explain this because it's worth discussing because I think a lot of you feel the same way as I do:

There are sentient and non-sentient creatures in the world.  If it's sentient, you have to negotiate them fighting on your side. If they are non-sentient, then you ultimately have to have a sentient creature controlling it. 

So let's say there were unicorns in the world. Are unicorns sentient? I'd say no.  So maybe there's a herd of unicorns that exists on the map. You would see a Unicorn icon on the map. You would need to build a city near it and then build a Unicorn type building on it (insert cool name here). That city would then start producing unicorns trained for battle.  You could then design a unit that makes use of a unicorn but the Unicorns don't just ride on their own any more than horses do.

On the other hand, let's say there is a village of trolls somewhere. If you conquer the city, the trolls will disperse (no, the trolls aren't going to be hanging out at the pub or working in the armory, they're trolls!).  If you negotiate with the trolls, you might be able to get them to send you a few trolls on occasion to integrate into your army. Trolls are sentient.

The variety of magical creatures in Elemental is probably as much or more than what's been seen before. It's just that in terms of your wars, you're choosing  men or fallen and they're going to be the vast majority of your forces.

That said, players will be able to create their own creatures (sentient or otherwise).  So for instance, we will NOT have vampires in the game. The term "canon" Elemental will become significant as the beta matures because the integration of player created content will alter the world dramatically over time.  Players might create a race of vampires. Maybe you'll be able to play as the vampires or maybe they'll set them up so that they're like the troll example I gave above.

My thought is that I just don't want to see magical creatures cheapened. Magic should be a pretty big deal and so if you see an army with a troll in it, it should be a big deal.  If your army encountered another army with a dragon in it and you're not incredibly powerful at this point, the player should get the feeling like they did in Civilization when their musketmen suddenly encounter the mongols with tanks."  8)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »

I wonder how complicated they'll allow the scripting system to get.  It would be awesome if you could, using the example of vampires, require a certain payment of citizens every so often to get them to fight for you.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2008, 04:34:25 pm »

That said, players will be able to create their own creatures (sentient or otherwise).  So for instance, we will NOT have vampires in the game. The term "canon" Elemental will become significant as the beta matures because the integration of player created content will alter the world dramatically over time.  Players might create a race of vampires. Maybe you'll be able to play as the vampires or maybe they'll set them up so that they're like the troll example I gave above.

My thought is that I just don't want to see magical creatures cheapened. Magic should be a pretty big deal and so if you see an army with a troll in it, it should be a big deal.  If your army encountered another army with a dragon in it and you're not incredibly powerful at this point, the player should get the feeling like they did in Civilization when their musketmen suddenly encounter the mongols with tanks."  8)

I like the idea that magical creatures are rare and special in this game.  It's much more in line with Tolkien's mythology.  In fact I never liked games that had magic thrown around like it was nothing.

Reminds me of the line from "The Incredibles":  When everyone's super, no one will be
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:36:29 pm by lumin »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:04 pm »

I wonder how complicated they'll allow the scripting system to get.  It would be awesome if you could, using the example of vampires, require a certain payment of citizens every so often to get them to fight for you.

Well, as we know already, the modability of the game will be @ pure awesomeness level, plus that we gonna have a scripting system also.
I am pretty sure what you've mentioned in your example will be possible to mod in even. :)

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2008, 09:17:27 am »

Yay for troop costumization! Oh the fun i had with galciv2's ship editor in my quest to make the perfect suicide drone swarmer(tiny hull, biggest gun available and an engine). In sufficient numbers they wreck everything.

Hmm good strategy, I'd never have thought of it.  Enemy ships' volleys would take out 1 ship at a time, while you have a mass of ships attacking.  And even small colonies could pump them out decently.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24