Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50537 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2008, 01:04:49 pm »

I really don't understand your problem then. Perhaps it's a geographic problem? Or a timeframe problem? Maybe bandwidth problem?

Geographic problem - If you're very, very far away from the servers, that might cause a significant delay.

Timeframe problem - if you only used Impulse on release day when it was buggy as hell (kinda like blaming Vista for being buggy when using it on release day).

Bandwidth problem - your internet tubes are clogged.

Because it's fast enough for me. While I prefer not having to use something like Impulse, it's certainly not doomsday.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2008, 02:26:47 pm »

You guys gotta stop, this is building too much hope for a stardock game!

*covers eyes and avoids the thread*

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »

Because it's fast enough for me. While I prefer not having to use something like Impulse, it's certainly not doomsday.

Yeah same here. Impulse is very fast, and I am from Hungary, Europe, so not even from the US.

You guys gotta stop, this is building too much hope for a stardock game!

*covers eyes and avoids the thread*

You gotta be kidding. Everything what the Stardock devs said will be in the game, when it goes live. You can also be sure that they will keep upgrading the game for years. If there is one gamedev company, what is not bullshitting, that is Stardock. Have you seen the features of the upcoming 2.0 patch for Galciv 2.? It's amazing. It's like a mini expansion pack.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »

Yeah, Stardock is one of those few mainstream companies that is still trying to do things right (not trying to fill their wallets).  There stuff is pretty high quality and if there is a problem with it, they're good about updates/improvements.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2008, 05:22:26 pm »

You gotta be kidding. Everything what the Stardock devs said will be in the game, when it goes live. You can also be sure that they will keep upgrading the game for years. If there is one gamedev company, what is not bullshitting, that is Stardock. Have you seen the features of the upcoming 2.0 patch for Galciv 2.? It's amazing. It's like a mini expansion pack.
Doesn't make galciv 2 less boring or less of a crappy x4 game. No point in being mega active and caring when you create carp's food. But you already know my opinion on stardock and I have that opinion because of their games, not their attitude which I wish every game company had.

This one is actually looking -good- and it's giving me hopes of a fun game to buy after that spore-let-down.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2008, 05:35:42 pm »

Doesn't make galciv 2 less boring or less of a crappy x4 game.

Well you've said this already, and that is your subjective opinion. Imo Galciv2 is the best 4X turn-based space strategy on the market...but that is my subjective opinion.  ;)

Please try to be constructive in this topic. It's pointless to say that "bleh, Galciv sucked, this game will suck also!", because...
1. We are very subjective about these things, I like it, you don't..and vice versa. Not to mention that arguing like this is very immature imho.
2. We don't know too much about the upcoming game at all, only a couple of features are known so far.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:40:51 pm by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2008, 07:29:30 pm »

News!
http://forums.elementalgame.com/329355

Elemental Civilizations: 12 of them
While Elemental comes with two races -- Men and Fallen, each of these races are split into 6 factions each (12 total). Each of these factions has its own technology tree and own spell book to make each faction play very very differently.

The thing to remember here, these are groups that have been split off from each other for a long time now and they have evolved in very different directions.

----

Note: We will be able to mod in new races, only the sky is the limit!...so don't even start to say something like: "omg only 2 races?!".  ;D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2008, 09:49:41 pm »

Doesn't make galciv 2 less boring or less of a crappy x4 game.

Well you've said this already, and that is your subjective opinion. Imo Galciv2 is the best 4X turn-based space strategy on the market...but that is my subjective opinion.  ;)

Please try to be constructive in this topic. It's pointless to say that "bleh, Galciv sucked, this game will suck also!", because...
1. We are very subjective about these things, I like it, you don't..and vice versa. Not to mention that arguing like this is very immature imho.
2. We don't know too much about the upcoming game at all, only a couple of features are known so far.
It's a forum's thread for Family Guy's sake.

Long version, deleted to avoid annoyance;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:46:17 pm by Soulwynd »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2008, 11:23:06 am »

I am really wondering that how can we make new units for example. There is a topic about it on the official forum also, but the devs haven't replied in that so far. Someone says that some Galciv2 style unit editor could work perfectly. Maybe...but somehow I have a feeling that creating new unit models will work like in Civ3 or Civ4 for example. IE. You will have to use some 3D modeller software...I can just only hope that I am wrong.  :-X
I will try to contact some devs on IRC if they won't reply in the thread itself. They tend to ignore lot of posts somehow.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2008, 08:38:05 am »

Scripting engine is confirmed.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/329482

"The game is planned to have a scripting engine, though at this point it's still too early to tell exactly what it will allow for."

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »

This is probably the best news in gaming in several years.  When was the last time that a turn-based game of this potential magnitude of total quality was in development?  This could be a Civ-"killer", potentially.  Really, really looking forward to this one.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2008, 01:55:33 pm »

I'll be a lot more satisfied if it will be a "Spore-killer". But, really - a developer that pays attention to quality and customers and does not use stupidly obsessive DRM, together with a game design including unit design that matters, integrated modding, dynamic system requirements, integrated mod sharing, and an original setting? That's probably as good as we can get these days barring some multimillionaire indie developer.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »

This is probably the best news in gaming in several years.  When was the last time that a turn-based game of this potential magnitude of total quality was in development?  This could be a Civ-"killer", potentially.  Really, really looking forward to this one.

I agree. This will be the dream game of the fantasy TBS fans...and not only that! These awesome modding features will guarantee, that the game will live for a very long time. Also the multiplayer will be amazing. Epic campaign you say? HELL YES! This is the game what I was waiting for, since I am playing with computer games, plus DF v1.0 of course.  :D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »

Quests are confirmed!  8)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/329066

"The sand box mode will have tons of story in it because there are quests and such triggered by player actions."

---

..a bit more about Epic multiplayer campaigns:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/329407

"Co-Op campaigns are one of the things we'll have.

One thing to remember is that this design is being made for the long-haul.  So we envision settings where a group of friends could play together against the Fallen on maps so large and so many techs and spells that it would take months of weekend get togethers to finish if they want (or they coudl play a smaller map and be done in an afternoon)."

----
..and finally an excellent post by Frogboy [developer]:

Re-thinking 4X economics
http://forums.elementalgame.com/329473

"One of the things in Elemental we've been thinking hard on is how the economic system in the game should work.  Elemental is, first and foremost, about building a civilization that happens to exist in a world filled with magic.

So when it comes to building things, we are trying to get away from the classic "N production units".  There are, for instance, no factories in Elemental. We want players to really understand just how big of a deal it is for a civilization to be able to produce mounted warriors who have metal armor and metal weapons. It's not just knowing how to build such a unit, it's being able to put together the infrastructure to produce such a unit.

Players don't research types of units, they research technologies. Players then design their own units and those designs require certain resources.  A basic soldier with a club is pretty easy. You take a guy, arm him with a big stick. A better soldier might involve same guy, armed with same stick but trained. Now he's much much better but it will obviously take longer to get that unit. It's not about production then, it's about time. 

A still better soldier might be equipped a bronze sword instead of the stick. But that bronze sword didn't just come out of nowhere. The metal had to be mined and then forged and then delivered.  Of course, the challenge from a game-design point of view is that you don't want players to be forced to micro-manage such things. It's supposed to be a strategy game, not an inventory management game.  And so, you make that issue something for your civilization to deal with - not the player.

A given land tile may have a metal resource on it. The player builds a mine on it. That mine then produces N units of metal per turn. That metal then flows to the keep's inventory (in the city). When the keep's inventory gets filled, it then starts getting sent out to other cities (little caravans start appearing on the map delivering this stuff). All of this is automated but evidence of a growing civilization. Players can build warehouses to store more inventory of a resource. A player can also build an armory which produces weapons which flow again into the keep's inventory and then into warehouses if built and then out to the country side to other cities.  Players can build roads to increase the speed in which these resources make it (and incidentally, these caravans only go out sporadically so the map isn't going to be full of these units running around and they're not true units, they'll be almost like decoration except when attacked).

So when I go to build a unit, the amount of time it takes to build that unit is going to be based on decisions I made -- what am I equipping him with. How much training am I giving him? And of course, since populations of "cities" range from 100 to 1 million or so, one of the resources units require are people. A village of 100 people obviously can't conjure up a legion no matter how much money and resources you have.

How will all this actually be implemented? That's where the open beta will come into play. Our development tools allow us to quickly implement many different concepts and UI's. that's where a lot of our work has gone into so that we can make changes like this.  Players saw hints of this in Galactic Civilizations where we could make dramatic changes to the game based on player feedback but it's nothing compared to what we've built for Elemental.

So for instance, do players want to prioritize where these caravans go? How much control do players want of this kind of thing? Would it be more fun to actually have technology branches dedicated to having governors (not AI, just bonuses to supply) that "manage" this.  These are some of the many things that players will be involved in.

The main thing I wanted to get across is that we are not going to have the traditional "N units of production".  Players will be able to design their units, design how much training (a small squad of elite soldiers or a huge mob of untrained brutes or somewhere in between?), decide how well equipped you want them to be and so on.  It's not about sending out a knight. There is no "knight" unit unless you choose to call a unit you designed that has a horse, a soldier who has been trained, plate mail, sword, helmet, etc. a knight when you save it.  How long would this knight take to create? Possibly very little time at all if you have the plate mail, sword, helmet, and horse ready to go. Then it's just a matter of the training time.  Otherwise, it could take quite a long time (the game will estimate the time based on arriving supplies). 

Hopefully this gives you a glimpse at the strategic depth we want to provide players. The choices for players in how they want to play this game are endless."

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:04:53 pm by Tormy »

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2008, 07:24:21 pm »

It just gets better and better, doesn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24