Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50509 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2008, 05:40:50 pm »

I am still confused about what the persistent world is all about though, so I posed this question

Persistent world means just that: they'll have a single "game" set up with a persistent world.  Players will compete to conquer that world, probably forming guilds and alliances and so on. 

Yeah I suppose it will be something like that. Once an alliance/guild etc. conquers the world, that game is over. I guess so at least.

PS. Lot of questions have been posted so far, and the devs ignored lot from those. Hopefully we will get more answers soon enough.  :)
PS #2. Double post, sorry.  :-X

PS #3.
Even more infos about the random map generator:
"The game not only will feature random map generation but our current internal build does feature random map generation. It's nowhere near perfect yet; one of the biggest problems with our approach to map generation is that we want to be able to create really rad looking maps like, say, that of Middle Earth or some of the old-school Final Fantasy games with as little precreated assets as possible. The problem, though, is that getting consistently awesome results takes a lot of tweaking and rewriting of the map generation algorihtm.

It's definitely coming along, though. We will have a map editor (one of our many editors) for the creation/modification of entire maps but we will also have a system in place to create smaller map pieces that can be included in the generation process. So if you want to make a really well thought-out and recognizable island but not an entire map you can save out that island for later use in custom maps or you can add it to the map generation process for inclusion in a random map."

Sounds awesome.  8)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:59:46 pm by Tormy »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »

They should just License Toady's world generator. That should give them sufficiently cool maps that could be translated into their format.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »

IGN and Gamespot have previews up, although not much new here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:02:12 pm by lumin »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2008, 09:39:54 pm »

Probably not going to buy this, my 2ghz processor is getting a bit too old for new games.

That and stardocks forced use of impulse is shite.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:33 pm »

Probably not going to buy this, my 2ghz processor is getting a bit too old for new games.

That and stardocks forced use of impulse is shite.

I don't know, Stardock has always been pretty good as far as supporting older machines.  They even mentioned that the ability to run on old machines is a big issue for this game.

But I agree on the Impulse thing.  For patches I can understand, it's basically their "copy protection" (you can play a pirated game but they're not just gonna hand over the patches).  But unless they vastly improve it I'm not sure how much I'm going to like having to log into it to play multiplayer.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2008, 08:41:40 am »

IGN and Gamespot have previews up, although not much new here.

Yeah. The game has an own irc channel btw, we can talk with the developers there! That will be an excellent source of news, hehe.
I guess it's time to reinstall IRC again.  8)

irc.stardock.com
#elemental

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2008, 04:47:05 pm »

Dev Q & A:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/329219

[Some new infos! Enjoy!  :)]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »

What's wrong with Impulse? Works fine for me. Is it a resource hog? Because with just a 2Ghz processor.... it's kinda unfair to call it that.

edit: Man, I nearly got a heart attack when I read this:
It's using a combination of SecuROM and Starforce so that the game will require a CD in the drive, a USB key to be inserted and the reading of a particular word on a particular page of the user manual (which won't be hard since it'll only have a 2 page manual naturally).

The docs, which we expect to be written by fans, will be online only which will be fine since the game will require players to be on-line at all times due to the by-the-hour activation checks the game makes to the single player mode.

Also, the game won't work if you have any CD-ROM burning software including the built in media player software (users will naturally need to uninstall any media players including iTunes in order to play).

All of this will be integrated into the game by our eastern-european CD manufacturer (the copy we send there will be completely clean of course) so we're confident that no pirates will get it...

Then I read the end:
(incidentally, this Q and A was a joke)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2008, 02:39:41 am »

The spells are going to be intentionally de-balancing in late game. I.e. by late game, you'll be able to do Populous level damage to the world. A lot of the reason we had to create a new engine was because we needed one where the world could be truly wrecked.

Yes!  There are so many good features mentioned in that Q&A.  I really like the instant-resolve, auto-resolve, and full tactical battle options.  Also, the city construction aspect.  That will be a big deal, having a civ-like game with multi-tiled cities. 

And I really can't wait to see just how large those maps can get in the 64-bit version.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:41:18 am by wallish »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2008, 03:22:55 am »

What's wrong with Impulse? Works fine for me. Is it a resource hog? Because with just a 2Ghz processor.... it's kinda unfair to call it that.

It's using a combination of SecuROM and Starforce so that the game will require a CD in the drive, a USB key to be inserted and the reading of a particular word on a particular page of the user manual (which won't be hard since it'll only have a 2 page manual naturally).

The docs, which we expect to be written by fans, will be online only which will be fine since the game will require players to be on-line at all times due to the by-the-hour activation checks the game makes to the single player mode.

Also, the game won't work if you have any CD-ROM burning software including the built in media player software (users will naturally need to uninstall any media players including iTunes in order to play).

All of this will be integrated into the game by our eastern-european CD manufacturer (the copy we send there will be completely clean of course) so we're confident that no pirates will get it...

Then I read the end:
When I read that bit, I was surprised he didn't mention a limit of 2 installs per license. :P

I also can't help but notice that the answering person (ergo, one of the dev team) is "Frogboy". See a resemblance here?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:24:56 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:31 am »

Then I read the end:

Ahahaha!!! Yeah I was like "WHAT THE HELL?!?!", but thankfully it was a joke.  :-X ;D

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2008, 09:18:46 am »

Well the first time I used it, it took 3 hours for a download to even begin, thats not counting the shitty installation process for impulse itself.

I hate digital distribution, I prefer downloading a hard copy of patches so I can download them and bugger off while they download and install afterward, pieces of dog crap like impulse don't allow this.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:11 am »

Well the first time I used it, it took 3 hours for a download to even begin, thats not counting the shitty installation process for impulse itself.

I hate digital distribution, I prefer downloading a hard copy of patches so I can download them and bugger off while they download and install afterward, pieces of dog crap like impulse don't allow this.

This game will have a central server, it will work like Spore sort of. You can download new content from there, and you can upload your created units/spells/buildings/maps/whatever to that server also.  :)
Besides I never had any problems with Impulse...

*edit*

Brad Wardell is quite active on the Quartertothree forums. Here is the topic about game:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?s=ed8ae0da381109c3149b607f2da31842&t=48528
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:09:19 am by Tormy »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:55 am »

This game will have a central server, it will work like Spore sort of. You can download new content from there, and you can upload your created units/spells/buildings/maps/whatever to that server also.  :)

*edit*

Brad Wardell is quite active on the Quartertothree forums. Here is the topic about game:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?s=ed8ae0da381109c3149b607f2da31842&t=48528

None of that has anything to do with my post.
Steam Profile

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2008, 12:52:15 pm »

*edit*

None of that has anything to do with my post.

I just wanted to point out, that the master server of the game will be somehow integrated into impulse itself IIRC.
..at least I read something like that a while ago.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24