Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50461 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardock's upcoming turn based fantasy strategy game
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:26 pm »

Yeah, I never looked at any of the expansions.  I played the initial Galciv quite a lot for a while and tossed it aside once I was really frustrated with all the things I mentioned.  If the AI has been updated to address these issues, that's good.  I admit when I saw the talk of AI improvements I just didn't believe it, considering how much the initial release had its AI hyped and how disappointed I was in it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »

Yeah, I never looked at any of the expansions.  I played the initial Galciv quite a lot for a while and tossed it aside once I was really frustrated with all the things I mentioned.  If the AI has been updated to address these issues, that's good.  I admit when I saw the talk of AI improvements I just didn't believe it, considering how much the initial release had its AI hyped and how disappointed I was in it.

Eh the AI is much, MUCH better in the latest ToA version. Its just simply awesome. :)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 10:53:35 am »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/920/920420p1.html?RSSwhen2008-10-15_160500&RSSid=920420

Stardock Teases [Not] Master of Magic Game

October 15, 2008 - Stardock is "developing a new fantasy strategy game franchise," Brad Wardell confirmed through a company customer report. Tentatively titled "Strategy Game 2010: The fantasy strategy game," it is being described as a "Not-MOM" (as in, Not Master of Magic) game. Master of Magic was a fantasy turn-based strategy game published by MicroProse in 1995; it is considered a classic of the genre.

While little was revealed about the project, Wardell did confirm that it was a turn-based strategy game that will feature "random map generation, integrated modding, city building, unit design, tactical combat, multiplayer, incredibly powerful magical spells, and much more."

Hm, and here is the first "partial" screenshot from the game? It looks interesting, I must say, but it does not looks like 3D at all.  :o

Well hopefully they will officially announce the game in november, so some screenshots will be released for sure than.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 02:52:36 pm »

Oh I can not wait until they release that game. 

Master of Magic is one of my favorite turn-based games + Stardock makes excellent products + Stardock cares about its customers + random generation + modability == awesome-ness.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »

-stardock lets me down

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:18 pm »

I am still worried about overimportance of Heros or Levels.

It was the reason I disliked Diciple (at least its campaign mode)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 03:39:41 pm »

I am still worried about overimportance of Heros or Levels.

It was the reason I disliked Diciple (at least its campaign mode)

That won't really matter, considering that the game will be extremely modding friendly.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 09:03:52 am »

This is probably my most anticipated game now.  If anybody could do a MoM-clone right it's Stardock.  The customizable units blurb is especially interesting.  Besides magic items for units I don't believe there's been a fantasy TBS with customizable units, if the customization is involved in the creation of the units rather than in leveling them.

1.5 years til they release it.. oh the pain.  :)
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 09:17:20 am »

This is probably my most anticipated game now.  If anybody could do a MoM-clone right it's Stardock.  The customizable units blurb is especially interesting.  Besides magic items for units I don't believe there's been a fantasy TBS with customizable units, if the customization is involved in the creation of the units rather than in leveling them.

1.5 years til they release it.. oh the pain.  :)

Yeah same here, I just can't wait for the official announcement, what will happen in November hopefully. Also, perhaps the game will be released in 2009, since they plan to start the open beta in Q2 2009. I can't be arsed about beta testing to be honest, but this is the game, in what I plan to be a beta tester also.
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that this game will be an all time favourite for me.  :)

What I am really wondering is...well this screenshot. Brad Wardell said that the magic system will be extremely well developed. Spells will be able to change the terrain features even, and all terrain changes will be visible. Now this screenshot looks like 2D to me, and IIRC Stardock is developing a new 3D engine for this game, so I am kinda confused. I guess everything will be clear in November.  :)

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:03 am »

It looks like it might be a combat screen, which would probably be more likely to be a 2D portion of the game.  There are several things that are interesting about the screenshot, like the little grey arrow next to the icons, I wonder what clicking that does, maybe brings up an options or orders menu or something.  But I'm thinking it might be a combat screen, and it looks like maybe the combat encompasses more terrain than the combat in MoM did, so the perspective is from higher up.  This would be my guess.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2008, 09:52:30 am »

It looks like it might be a combat screen, which would probably be more likely to be a 2D portion of the game.  There are several things that are interesting about the screenshot, like the little grey arrow next to the icons, I wonder what clicking that does, maybe brings up an options or orders menu or something.  But I'm thinking it might be a combat screen, and it looks like maybe the combat encompasses more terrain than the combat in MoM did, so the perspective is from higher up.  This would be my guess.

Hm...it looks like an overland screenshot to me, but I'm clueless of course.
Arghhh...I want to see more infos and screenshots...my curiosity is killing me.  ;D
Btw, that text is funny: "Run away, away!". I am wondering what that could be, perhaps its the name of a quest. I am also wondering about the animation method of those waves and birds, since the gfx style is very unique.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 11:01:55 am »

I don't think that's a compass/map in the bottom right, but the icon for the unit selected (in this case the night).  It looks too pre-made to be the map for a randomly generated level, not to mention the fact that from the angle given the information would be hard to read (mini-maps are almost always top-down).  So just it's probably just the knight unit's "portrait", like a picture of a knight in armor on a horse with the landscape in the background.

The first three icons are probably the standard items, magic, and money, but the last one is a bit odd.  If I had to guess I'd say that the icon could be alchemy?  The problem is that the first three are usually on a per-unit basis meaning they'd be specific to a particular unit.  And knights don't generally remind people of alchemy.  The arrow on the right is usually used to shift the icons over and scroll through more, but it could also be a "hide" command for the unit info box.

Below that bar you can see a small sliver of another bar.  Stardock seems to keep to a certain UI design scheme in most of their games, specifically with the bottom-screen bias, so I'd guess that small sliver is the players main information (resources, money, mana, name, etc) status bar. 

It's all speculation of course.  I'm probably completely wrong.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2008, 02:52:29 pm »

I hope this game doesn't end up being in the style of those godawful "Heroes of *" clones that are everywhere, with turns of 1000 moves per army and limited army numbers and apparently non-random terrains fulls with roads and impassable mountains. To be a proper clone of MoM it needs small moves per turn (1-2, max 4 or so for ultra fast units) and totally open terrain map with movement penalties like Civilization or MoM, that allows for "terraforming" roads and such.

Also the combat should feel very similar to MoM, with an actual grid with stuff other than units or empty space (city walls, etc)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »

I hope this game doesn't end up being in the style of those godawful "Heroes of *" clones that are everywhere, with turns of 1000 moves per army and limited army numbers and apparently non-random terrains fulls with roads and impassable mountains. To be a proper clone of MoM it needs small moves per turn (1-2, max 4 or so for ultra fast units) and totally open terrain map with movement penalties like Civilization or MoM, that allows for "terraforming" roads and such.

Also the combat should feel very similar to MoM, with an actual grid with stuff other than units or empty space (city walls, etc)

Yeah, I suppose that this will be a MoM clone and much more. Also don't forget, that you will be able to change everything in this game. [Create races/units, I think that we will be able to modify/create spells even]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2008, 04:02:46 pm »

I'll wait until we get more details before I get too excited. I've had enough disappointment for one year.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24