Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50431 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Stardock's upcoming turn based fantasy strategy game
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 06:56:38 pm »

Galciv2 is the best turn based space strategy game.  ;) There is only one negative part of the game: it does not have tactical battles. If you don't like the genre, thats understandable. Im pretty sure that not everyone will like this upcoming game also, but thats all cool.  :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:59:08 pm by Tormy »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:02 pm »

I'm sure you're just confusing them with Starforce :)

What did you hate about GalCiv, and are you into 4x at all?
No, starforce deserves a whole higher level of hatred.

Mostly everything actually and I'm into 4x *points at MOO/MOO2 still installed and occasionally played in his old box*

I can understand the hate for GalCiv2, it's not for everybody.  But hating Stardock?  Who the hell hates Stardock!?
It's not for anybody if you ask me. My experience with galciv2 was sad to say the least. Even Stars! appealed me more than it did. I guess it's just my opinion. Stardock happens to make games which get me excited about them, then utterly bored and disappointed a couple game plays later. It's like this sexy girl who feels like a plain blowup doll when you manage to screw her. Kind of like when you manage to push a whale back to the ocean and it swims right back onto the beach.

Right, I think those analogies are enough. =p

Reason why I don't want to try Demigod, even if I'm really tempted to.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

Yeah, GalCiv II just a generic. Like AoE to RTS or Civ to TBS. GalCiv is them to S-TBS (Space TBS).

Now if only we could control the ships, and the planar battle is good, or we can use tactics. Oh very good. That's why I anticipating the F-TBS game (Fantasy TBS).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 07:08:10 am »

Yeah, GalCiv II just a generic. Like AoE to RTS or Civ to TBS. GalCiv is them to S-TBS (Space TBS).

Now if only we could control the ships, and the planar battle is good, or we can use tactics. Oh very good. That's why I anticipating the F-TBS game (Fantasy TBS).

Yeah I really missed the tactical battles in Galciv2, but other than that, the game is just awesome. Well we will have tactical battles in the the upcoming fantasy game so I am excited.  :D

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:50 am »

Yeah, the diplomacy is great. But I always getting genocided [by the terrans most of the time, when I didn't play them) if I raise the difficulty to normal (A.I intelligence.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 07:53:17 am »

Yeah, the diplomacy is great. But I always getting genocided [by the terrans most of the time, when I didn't play them) if I raise the difficulty to normal (A.I intelligence.)

Yeah the AI is kicking ass at harder levels. Stardock is always focusing on singleplayer, and I like it...but I also like it that the upcoming new fantasy TBS will have multiplayer!
I just cant wait for the announcement in November. Probably they will release the first screenshots by that time, plus I want to see the full feature list also.
What I am really wondering about is this: Customization..how will that work? We can "design" new creatures like we can in Spore? Dont forget, user created content can be uploaded to a master server. Maybe we will be able to create civilizations even, or spells, items etc. Arghhh..need...more...informations..fast!  ;D

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 09:16:11 am »

I don't like the centralized server Idea. I remember when you would have those weird links from forums to some German developer of models in Op. Flashpoint, that was fun, you felt like a treasure hunter. Plus this way they get to say what is useful and what is crap (which is not always a good thing- look at apple and their iPhone applications)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 01:13:17 pm »

I just find Galactic Civilisation to have a insane tech tree... it really puts me off

After that... Sometimes I wish it would be able to automatically update my units...

Ohh well... I am not sure I like it yet even though I had it for years... I havn't played while feeling like I have any semblence of competence yet... it is a very Noob unfriendly game... even more then Civilisation

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 02:05:28 pm »

Iit is a very Noob unfriendly game... even more then Civilisation

What the hell?! .. and you say this on the official DF forum?  ;D

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:48:12 pm »

Play the 2nd expansion. It adds much more complex tech tree  ;D.
Still, I haven't been able to get it.

Well, Stardock definitely the most good International dev./publisher out there. Compare them to E.A. and you're set!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 02:50:40 am »

I bought Galciv 2 on ebay a while ago....bad idea.  I couldn't download any patches because the game had already been registered to the original owner.

Also, the AI was pretty good, but insanely difficult, even on the lowest setting.

Considering that it was available via both direct-download and ordering..  I gotta wonder why you would e-bay it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 09:26:19 am »

I bought Galciv 2 on ebay a while ago....bad idea.  I couldn't download any patches because the game had already been registered to the original owner.

Also, the AI was pretty good, but insanely difficult, even on the lowest setting.

Considering that it was available via both direct-download and ordering..  I gotta wonder why you would e-bay it.

That is a good question indeed...even if its cheaper on ebay...a few dollars should not matter. Always buy original games, especially if it requires to have an online account.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 10:52:06 am »

Demigod looks cool, even though it reminds me of

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is the devil of games.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 11:36:27 am »

It is because the difficulty settings ONLY set what resources the computer has at its exposal and doesn't effect how ruthless or destructive it is.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 11:09:55 pm »

It is because the difficulty settings ONLY set what resources the computer has at its exposal and doesn't effect how ruthless or destructive it is.

That's my biggest problem with GalCiv.  The AI was supposed to be one of the major selling points and what it actually is is this brain-dead crank-out-units machine that doesn't have the slightest concept of planning or strategy or tactics.  The difficulty setting basically changes how fast it cranks out more units.  I know the claim is that at higher difficulty settings it also has access to smarter things to do but I never once saw it behave in a way that would lead me to think that means very much - it was always just build tons of ships, threaten me, flood my space with ships, lose every single goddamned one to minimal casualties on my part, and not ever understand "hey I'm doing something fuckass dumb".  At which point the solution was always extermination because the AI couldn't be brought to understand that it was losing any other way.  At lower difficulties the game is too easy, at higher difficulties the game is too boring because of the mindless grunt work of killing off all the paid-for-with-cheating extra ships the AI gets.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24