Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50444 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Stardock's upcoming turn based fantasy strategy game
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2008, 02:11:59 pm »

Who says that screenshot isn't in 3d? It has a style we remember from old 2D games, but there is nothing that keeps a desinger from making the game so that it'll look like 2D but be fully 3D when it comes to camera angles and rotations. It would certanly be interesting to have a 3D game that looks like that ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:34 pm »

Who says that screenshot isn't in 3d? It has a style we remember from old 2D games, but there is nothing that keeps a desinger from making the game so that it'll look like 2D but be fully 3D when it comes to camera angles and rotations. It would certanly be interesting to have a 3D game that looks like that ;)

Yeah that's for sure. It would be an interesting display method. Ah well, 4 days to go 'til the announcement.  ;D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:56 pm »

wow! The game isn't even announced yet officially, there's a small preview @ gamespy already!
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elemental-war-of-magic/926527p1.html

Anybody out there remember Master of Magic? Those who answered "no" need not be ashamed. This mostly forgotten turn-based strategy classic from now-defunct Simtex and MicroProse was first released back in 1993 in a heavily bugged state that caught heavy critical and reader flak and no doubt kept it from achieving the kind of success it deserved. Those who stuck it out through many, many patches, though, discovered a wonderful Civilization-style turn-based "4X" game based on the notion of dueling wizards trying to conquer a fantasy world. It's a fair bet the folks at Stardock haven't forgotten the game, because while they can't officially embrace the heritage, the company's just-announced Elemental: War of Magic is looking like the rebirth of Master of Magic, something any strategy fan should celebrate.

The game's basic premise is that the world of Elemental is recovering from a devastating apocalypse resulting from a war between magic-wielding gods who were wiped out in their final battle. A few centuries later, the all-but-lifeless and magically dead planet has started to recover. This process is accelerated when a few people -- called "channelers" -- find they can still access these ancient magical forces via magical crystal fragments that were spread across the world during the apocalypse. Naturally some of these channelers wish to help the world recover and rebuild civilizations. Others have motivation that aren't quite so benevolent, setting the stage for a conflict.

The basic gameplay of Elemental, like Master of Magic and Civilization, is a classic 4X conquer-the-world empire builder. Players begin by creating their "channeler." Unlike many "4X" games, the player's avatar isn't a distant unreachable sovereign: The channeler will be an incredibly powerful unit within the game. By him or herself, the channeler will be able to easily take on an entire enemy army and cast spells of devastating power; at the head of an army of men and fantastic beasts they'll be a military force to be reckoned with. The channeler may also remain within one of his or her cities imparting bonuses to the town, casting overland spells that aid in conquering the world, and researching new and more powerful magic spells.

The balancing factor in the power of the channeler is that the avatar's power is not unlimited -- in fact, the avatar basically acts as the power source for the empire. In order to found a city, the channeler will have to funnel a bit of power into the land to make it habitable. There are powerful NPC adventurers who wander the world delving into lost dungeons and forgotten ruins to discover powerful magical artifacts from the past. The player can recruit these heroes and use them as generals, imbuing them with a portion of the channeler's own power to cast spells in combat.

All of these functions will drain energy from the channeler, reducing his or her personal power in favor of using magic to spread the power of the empire. The choice for the player then becomes how much of their own personal power they're willing to sacrifice for the growth of their magical empire. Players may, for example, choose to found a lot of cities at the beginning of the game, but the cost is making each one extremely weak and leaving the player vulnerable to getting killed.

As the player works on building up their civilization, various other strategic factors will come into play. The world's magic is divided up into five "schools" representing the four classic elements of Air, Earth, Fire and Water, along with Life magic. Each of these obviously comes with its own benefits and drawbacks. Life magic, for example, will assist a player economically, helping to make cities grow, while Fire is the obvious choice for those looking to create strong, aggressive armies. Players also have a choice about whether they're going to be a positive or negative channeler. Positive channelers are benevolent magicians looking to heal the land, while negative channelers will create a Mordor-like landscape of destruction. Each type will receive various military bonuses or penalties based on the kind of terrain they're fighting on and which school of magic it's most connected to.

The world map also plays a significant role in the way the game plays out. One of the design team's mantras is that everything the player sees should be "real." That is, everything in the game should represent a real strategic factor the player must take into consideration. Cities aren't just single-tile icons. Instead players can grow their cities according to specific strategic dictates. As cities expand, players can choose how to spread their cities across the map and can locate individual city elements within those tiles. This can lead to cities being used as fortresses to block specific mountain paths or a situation like the classical Greek cities of Athens and Piraeus in which the Greek city-state's naval power was extremely dependent on maintaining a thin, vulnerable strip of land that let them control the port city of Piraeus.

The best thing that strategy gamers have to look forward to is how fifteen years and the advent of the Internet have changed what's possible in a turn-based strategy game like Elemental. The game will come complete with several different multiplayer modes, including classic skirmish and a persistent universe mode that will allow players to develop long-term open campaigns.

Elemental will also mark Stardock's entry into the realm of Spore-style game broadcasting. The game will do much more than offer support for modders, as the company is developing a back-end infrastructure through its proprietary Impulse service that will let players seamlessly integrate new races, units, spells, technologies, buildings and much more into their game. Every time a player starts a game of Elemental, they'll have the opportunity to seamlessly incorporate new content straight from the fertile minds of the game's biggest fans. Elemental: War of Magic is currently scheduled for a February 2010 release.

The first screenies:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:13:33 pm by Tormy »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:53 pm »

Stardock is heading towards another disappointing direction? Stardock making a mom-like game will get my hopes high up and then crush it to bits.

:(

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2008, 07:56:06 pm »

Hmm...looks promising. Can't say I like the art style all that much, but I could probably get used to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2008, 08:03:22 pm »

Hmm...looks promising. Can't say I like the art style all that much, but I could probably get used to it.

Yeah it's a bit weird at first look [I am talking about the combat scene, the overland map is decent], but keep in mind, 1. the game is in alpha at best, 2. we will be able to modify all graphics + the (unit) models even.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2008, 09:12:35 pm »

Stardock is heading towards another disappointing direction? Stardock making a mom-like game will get my hopes high up and then crush it to bits.

You know, I don't usually do this in internet forums, but I don't think I've ever seen you say something positive.  I could be completely wrong about that, but you always end up saying something negative.  Opinions are opinions, but do you mind if I ask why you think it's going to crush your hopes?  I know from earlier in this thread (or another) that you're not a fan of GalCiv, but Stardock is known for quality if anything.  Sorry, it's just strange.

As for the game:

Elemental will also mark Stardock's entry into the realm of Spore-style game broadcasting. The game will do much more than offer support for modders, as the company is developing a back-end infrastructure through its proprietary Impulse service that will let players seamlessly integrate new races, units, spells, technologies, buildings and much more into their game. Every time a player starts a game of Elemental, they'll have the opportunity to seamlessly incorporate new content straight from the fertile minds of the game's biggest fans. Elemental: War of Magic is currently scheduled for a February 2010 release.

That sounds awesome.  The fact that all of those things are moddable, let alone that they can be seamlessly integrated into games is great.

The basic gameplay of Elemental, like Master of Magic and Civilization, is a classic 4X conquer-the-world empire builder. Players begin by creating their "channeler." Unlike many "4X" games, the player's avatar isn't a distant unreachable sovereign: The channeler will be an incredibly powerful unit within the game. By him or herself, the channeler will be able to easily take on an entire enemy army and cast spells of devastating power; at the head of an army of men and fantastic beasts they'll be a military force to be reckoned with. The channeler may also remain within one of his or her cities imparting bonuses to the town, casting overland spells that aid in conquering the world, and researching new and more powerful magic spells.

The balancing factor in the power of the channeler is that the avatar's power is not unlimited -- in fact, the avatar basically acts as the power source for the empire. In order to found a city, the channeler will have to funnel a bit of power into the land to make it habitable. There are powerful NPC adventurers who wander the world delving into lost dungeons and forgotten ruins to discover powerful magical artifacts from the past. The player can recruit these heroes and use them as generals, imbuing them with a portion of the channeler's own power to cast spells in combat.

All of these functions will drain energy from the channeler, reducing his or her personal power in favor of using magic to spread the power of the empire. The choice for the player then becomes how much of their own personal power they're willing to sacrifice for the growth of their magical empire. Players may, for example, choose to found a lot of cities at the beginning of the game, but the cost is making each one extremely weak and leaving the player vulnerable to getting killed.

I'm on the fence about this.  I like the idea that you'll be forced to make choices that will change your game, but it's difficult to pull off the avatar-based strategy game well.  IIRC Master of Magic had your leader be an actual unit in your capitol meaning if the capital was taken you lost.

The world map also plays a significant role in the way the game plays out. One of the design team's mantras is that everything the player sees should be "real." That is, everything in the game should represent a real strategic factor the player must take into consideration. Cities aren't just single-tile icons. Instead players can grow their cities according to specific strategic dictates. As cities expand, players can choose how to spread their cities across the map and can locate individual city elements within those tiles. This can lead to cities being used as fortresses to block specific mountain paths or a situation like the classical Greek cities of Athens and Piraeus in which the Greek city-state's naval power was extremely dependent on maintaining a thin, vulnerable strip of land that let them control the port city of Piraeus.

Yes, yes, a million times yes!  That's all I have to say about that.

I'm confident that Stardock will pull this off as they're one company that actually looks at their gameplay as a way of turning profit, not dumbing things down to the "casual gamer" level.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:14:53 pm by wallish »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:51 pm »

You know, I don't usually do this in internet forums, but I don't think I've ever seen you say something positive.  I could be completely wrong about that, but you always end up saying something negative.  Opinions are opinions, but do you mind if I ask why you think it's going to crush your hopes?  I know from earlier in this thread (or another) that you're not a fan of GalCiv, but Stardock is known for quality if anything.  Sorry, it's just strange.
I mentioned it in this thread already (I think). Stardock makes games that get me worked up about them but they turn out to be ultimately boring in a couple days.

MoM was a great game in my opinion and if they are trully doing a mom-like game, I get mixed feelings. There are the past stardock experiences, that are downing, and there's the past mom experiences which are grand for most part. Mind you, I'm not questioning their quality or care for customers, the games are usually polished and tend to be crash free, but for me, all of them turned out to be boring.

Even so, it's hard for me to be positive when most games that are being made nowadays turn out to be hype-to-crap like spore or far cry 2. There are some darn good surprises tho, but those games aren't often spoken about, like Dead Space or even DF, which was a surprise to me back when I found it and the way it evolves still surprises me.

Fallout 3 was a partial surprise for me, at one point I thought it would be complete crap but it's a game I will buy once there are enough mods and at least an expansion.

Anyway, if you want me to be positive about a game, start a chat about x-com. =p

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:37 am »

Quote from: Soulwynd link=topic=25374.msg318748#msg318748
Even so, it's hard for me to be positive when most games that are being made nowadays turn out to be hype-to-crap like spore or far cry 2. There are some darn good surprises tho, but those games aren't often spoken about, like Dead Space or even DF, which was a surprise to me back when I found it and the way it evolves still surprises me.

In another forum I read, there is a big thread about far cry 2, and people seem to like it a lot.

Also, I recommend removing the review and possibly screenshots above for copyright reasons. It's all just a link away anyway.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:20:31 am by dreiche2 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:43 am »

[

I'm on the fence about this.  I like the idea that you'll be forced to make choices that will change your game, but it's difficult to pull off the avatar-based strategy game well.  IIRC Master of Magic had your leader be an actual unit in your capitol meaning if the capital was taken you lost.

Yeah, this will be a very important part of the game as I see, hopefully they can balance this feature perfectly.
Either way, the official announcement day is TODAY! Hopefully they gonna post more screenies and infos also!  8)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:28 am »

New preview @ edge-online + some tiny screenshots also:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/elemental-war-magic-unveiled

Some interesting new infos:

"On the technical side, the game runs on an internally-developed 3D engine that’s been in the works for “a couple of years,” according to Wardell. It’s made specifically for strategy games. In Elemental, gamers will be able to zoom out and view the world as a cloth map that strategists can play on or zoom in for greater detail."  8)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2008, 11:24:24 am »

In another forum I read, there is a big thread about far cry 2, and people seem to like it a lot.

Also, I recommend removing the review and possibly screenshots above for copyright reasons. It's all just a link away anyway.

It's not bad bad, it's just disappointing in some ways. Mostly in the ways I'd like it not to be disappointing. Oh well.

And no need to remove any screenshots, it's called fair use.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2008, 11:38:42 am »

Wow!

I for one am totally excited about this game.  I liked the quality of GalCiv 2, but didn't like the space setting all that much.  Now this is something I can get used to!

I like the whole "cloth map" feel too it.  It makes it feel more like a fairy tale.  Also, I don't expect units to be all that incredibly detailed since players, themselves, will be able to create their own creatures.  It's got to be intuitive.  Also, it still has a year and a half+ of development, so I'd expect things to look better later on (Although, that's too long to wait!).

What stood out to me the most in the GameSpy article was this:

The game will come complete with several different multiplayer modes, including classic skirmish and a persistent universe mode that will allow players to develop long-term open campaigns.

That would be so awesome to be able to join a server with a long-term campaign going on.

Thanks for all the news links Tormy, keep us posted when new info arrives!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:40:13 am by lumin »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »

You are welcome, lumin. I am also totally excited about the game.  8)
Yet another new article!
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20916

"...That engine allows the game to ship with native support for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, taking full advantage of the latter. As with all of Stardock's games, it is targeting low system requirements, but also features an engine that dynamically scales performance to the number of CPU cores on a given machine.

As more cores are available, says Wardell, "the world just becomes richer. In the most extreme sense, this engine's been designed as such that at the lowest end with a really old machine, you can play almost with icons. But at the high end, you can zoom in and see squirrels running around in the trees. It all depends on your hardware."

Stardock is even toying with the idea of taking advantage of 64-bit machines, which allow in excess of 2 gigabytes of RAM, to support "huge, epic maps -- I mean, truly epic," Wardell noted.

"People play campaigns in Dungeons & Dragons in the real world that last for years. We could do that with 64-bit. We couldn't do it with 32-bit because you can't make the landmass that big -- that's been a big memory limitation," he claimed. "If someone wants to play a game that lasts for three years, who are we to stop them?"

*EDIT*

THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE IS UP!
http://www.elementalgame.com/

The first screenshots:
http://www.elementalgame.com/media.asp
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:50:27 pm by Tormy »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:27 pm »

Woa, what's up with this "screenshot"???  It looks like a still image.  Are they saying that's the game engine, in action?

Link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:17:56 pm by lumin »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24