Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50443 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Stardock's upcoming turn based fantasy strategy game
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:08 pm »

I'll wait until we get more details before I get too excited. I've had enough disappointment for one year.

Heh I know what you mean. [Hint: Spore  :-X]
..but this is Stardock game. So I doubt that we will be disappointed.  ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 12:19:01 pm »

WOOOOOOOOOOOT!
Finally!
HELL YEAH!
 ;D

http://forums.galciv2.com/328245

On Tuesday Stardock will be announcing the fantasy strategy game it's been working on.  (November 4).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »

When I look at that screenshot snippet, I have two words ringing in my head. Cel Shading. If you look real close at the "minimap", you will realise it's a form of PnP, and the mountains are ever so slightly edgy, hinting at cel shading. The angle is odd because it's a PnP camera showing the unit (like in Majesty), and probably manually configurable.

I never saw the original MoM (I'm actually inclined to go and find it now), but I suspect that it wasn't all serious-style. Also, the somewhat cartoonish graphics style makes "integrated modding" a lot easier, on the textures and whatnot. So, that's my opinion.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2008, 03:52:11 pm »

The original MoM was pretty basic, and had terrible AI, but it was groundbreaking.  In style, though, it was very serious.  I expect the same here.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 03:57:38 pm »

The original MoM was pretty basic, and had terrible AI, but it was groundbreaking.  In style, though, it was very serious.  I expect the same here.

What? Terrible AI in a Stardock game? You gotta be kidding. [Not to mention that this game will have multiplayer btw.]
Also Brad Wardell has listed some of his ideas in the last year, that what would he like to see in this upcoming game...if those ideas will be implemented, this game will be legendary.
Ah well, 1 week and we will know much more. Hopefully they gonna post some screenshots also.  8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:59:40 pm by Tormy »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:41 pm »

Honestly, when I see a new game coming out that has dated graphics (especially coming from Stardock), it makes me even more excited.  It makes me wonder, "if they are not spending much time on graphics, what are they spending their time on?!"

I REALLY like the idea of using 2D graphics (at least for the world map) as it would me much easier to mod your own maps and make loading times much faster.

Also, taking into consideration that everything will be destructible, having lower-end graphics would be much easier to do this.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 04:17:47 pm »

lumin, the problem is, that they stated, that they are working on a new 3D engine for this game. So that is why I am confused about this "screenshot". Example: The spell system will be extremely well developed, spells will be able to completly change the terrain and it's features even. So I don't know that how would this work with a 2D engine...not that I care, because gameplay >>>>> gfx anytime.  ;)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:13 pm »

Well maybe they mean, "changing terrain" with the battle map (which would be 3D), not the overworld terrain.

So if your troops are behind a boulder or a wall, a wizard could blast it out of the way.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:29:15 pm by lumin »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 04:38:44 pm »

Well maybe they mean, "changing terrain" with the battle map (which would be 3D), not the overworld terrain.

So if your troops are behind a boulder or a wall, a wizard could blast it out of the way.

Nop.
Here's Brad's post on the Quarter to Three forums from last year.

1.) Character building. The player is a character in the game. Nearly all magic in the world actually flows from the player. If you've ever read The Silmarillion (Tolkien) all the magic in Arda basically comes from the spirit of the things created by Eru. So in this sense, the player is a kind of Valar of sorts who can choose to invest their growing power into their creations/minions or into themselves (or a bit of both). That's an over simplification but the point is, part of the game mechanics is having to choose between making your forces more powerful or actual character.

2.) The game is very spell-centric. The 3D engine is being designed so you can do Populous style spells to the world. Since it's turn-based (as opposed to real-time) that also means you can have some ridiculously fancy spell effects.

3.) Very distinct magic schools.

4.) You cannot build heroes. They have to be recruited and there's no Inn. Ones ability to attract heroes is one of the game mechanics and "interesting choices" players have. Those heroes can be wimpy or powerful depending on how the player chooses to use and invest in them.

5.) There is massive scaling in this. At the beginning of Fellowship of the Rings (the movie edition) you could see just how powerful Sauron is. In this, if you manage to get a dragon, that dragon can wipe out hundreds of units. And by scale, we mean there's thousands and thousands of troops. One ancient dragon is taking out hundreds of troops.

6.) Cities are built and improved and local geography matters. I won't say more on this right now.

7.) Multiplayer will involve all players moving at the same time.

8.) Battles zoom in so that tactical combat can occur which is also turn based.

I do want to stress that the goal for this isn't to be a MoM clone. It has its own game mechanics, many of which are in common with MoM since, in a sense, both want to have a lot of Civilization-style elements.

One advantage of being designed in 2007 is the hardware requirements are probably going to be higher than our other games. I want to see large battles. I want to see creatures that can wipe out massive numbers of foot soldiers and such. I want to see magic spells that can flood terrain, raise mountains, ruin worlds. I want to see the land sicken and die when evil takes it over.

If we'd done a MOM2, we would have been faithful to the Master of Magic mechanics. But since we're doing a new game, hopefully we'll be able to make a game that combines favorite elements from many games plus adds our own on innovations to the genre. But it'll be some months before we start putting up any previews or anything (or even announce the game officially).

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »

Hmmm, then I am really bewildered with that screenshot as well.  Unless they're using pixel shading very well to hide the 3D, you could have fooled me that it isn't 2D.

It almost sounds like Populous style gameplay, where you're not actually controlling a "side", but just manipulating it with epic spells.  He says the player is like the Valar in LotR, which would mean he doesn't directly influence things.

Very ambitious.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 05:49:28 pm »

Remember the properties of reality. Cut out 50% of those things promised and we should be closer to the final product. It does kinda sound like Dwarf Fortress though...

... What a sad world we live in. We only have Toady One to trust in.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2008, 06:40:23 pm »

Remember the properties of reality. Cut out 50% of those things promised and we should be closer to the final product. It does kinda sound like Dwarf Fortress though...

... What a sad world we live in. We only have Toady One to trust in.

Hopefully they gonna post the full feature list, but I am not sure about that. Perhaps this will be just a "formal" announcement + some screenshots, and they will release new infos on a monthly basis, or something like that. I have big hopes for this game. Also don't forget,
1. if there is a game dev. company which is constantly enchancing/upgrading their game...that is Stardock.
2. modding will be absolutely supported.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:30 pm »

Speaking of Master of Magic, does anyone know of a good multiplayer mod for it or a remake with multiplayer?

I found this one.  Anybody tried it, or know if it is any good?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 08:03:31 pm »

Speaking of Master of Magic, does anyone know of a good multiplayer mod for it or a remake with multiplayer?

I found this one.  Anybody tried it, or know if it is any good?

wow, I never thought that there's a multiplayer "mod" for that oldie.  8)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 10:05:01 pm »

I got a 2 player game running on my laptop and pc.  It's nice since the game runs right in windows without dosbox.  Has some nice resolution options as well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24