Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50470 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #300 on: June 03, 2009, 06:52:10 am »

It's a way of making sure people who like the game and want to play it MP, buy the game. There will be no server code available as they will be hosting every game, so no multiplayer hax until someone creates an emulator. It's the MMORPG DRM scheme, but without monthly fees, sort of like guildwars.

Am I the only one who likes this MP concept?  ???

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »

It's a way of making sure people who like the game and want to play it MP, buy the game. There will be no server code available as they will be hosting every game, so no multiplayer hax until someone creates an emulator. It's the MMORPG DRM scheme, but without monthly fees, sort of like guildwars.

I'm not saying it is bad, but unless they have hosts scattered across the globe, some people will have to face major lag.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 03, 2009, 12:23:00 pm »

I doubt I'll bother with multi-player, so I really don't care one way or another. *shrug*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »

Bleh, it's definitely DRM. At least it's not some intrusive DRM and this isn't a game I really, really need to play online anyway.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2009, 01:44:32 pm »

I'm not saying it is bad, but unless they have hosts scattered across the globe, some people will have to face major lag.

We shall see...either way, it's weird. There should be options like host a LAN game or something. [I assume we won't have options like this? Ah well, perhaps I should ask this on the official forum... ::)]

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2009, 05:43:42 pm »

We shall see...either way, it's weird. There should be options like host a LAN game or something. [I assume we won't have options like this? Ah well, perhaps I should ask this on the official forum... ::)]
If it's trully for DRM, then nope. No LAN. They don't wanna people to cheat using hamachi.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »

Elemental Alpha Plans
http://forums.elementalgame.com/354834

"As some of you know, the Elemental Beta 0 got nixed due to us needing to throw developers onto Demigod to help GPG and Raknet with the online experience.  The team is starting to migrate back and we’re all glad to be back on Elemental but we did lose some time.

But we are still pushing to have an Alpha build on June 25th to give out.  It’ll be cloth map only (so what you see in the above screenshot won’t be in the alpha series and the betas will look a lot better than what you see above too). 

For the alpha series we’re only going to select around 100 people to be in it.  It’ll be a lottery.  Picture a big hat with players getting for each Stardock game they' have – GalCiv, Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod who have also pre-ordered Elemental.  The team is also pre-selecting about two dozen people who have been really helpful in the past from the community to be in it as well. 

We’re pretty excited because we plan to do this somewhat differently than other builds."

---

Elemental team dinner  ;D
http://forums.elementalgame.com/354860

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:08:40 pm by Tormy »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:10 pm »

Thank you for reposting those here, Tormy, I appreciate it a lot.  I would keep forgetting to check the site otherwise, and I like staying updated!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 05, 2009, 06:56:48 pm »

Despite my borderline obsessive checking of the official site, you always seem to get the journals up before me.

Quote from: Frogboy
Quote from: some other guy
And not to be a pain, but could you shed a little light on whether LAN/Hotseat/PBEM multiplayer will be available? You made a lot of people concerned in your getting back to Elemental post.

LAN almost certainly.  Hot seat maybe.  PBEM, not sure yet.
http://forums.elementalgame.com/354571

The post is 3-4 from the top. I actually like this multiplayer mode, so long as they ensure it doesn't totally kill multiplayer after they stop supporting it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 06, 2009, 03:35:51 am »

Quote from: Frogboy
Quote from: some other guy
And not to be a pain, but could you shed a little light on whether LAN/Hotseat/PBEM multiplayer will be available? You made a lot of people concerned in your getting back to Elemental post.

LAN almost certainly.  Hot seat maybe.  PBEM, not sure yet.
http://forums.elementalgame.com/354571

The post is 3-4 from the top. I actually like this multiplayer mode, so long as they ensure it doesn't totally kill multiplayer after they stop supporting it.

Ah! Awesome news! Thanks for posting about this.  :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2009, 04:16:00 am »

from the blurb on the homepage this game is reminiscent of 'Birthright', which I enjoyed vewy much... even though the 3d 'dungeoncrawl' engine and especially the sounds in FP sucked. :P

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 06, 2009, 05:27:57 am »

from the blurb on the homepage this game is reminiscent of 'Birthright', which I enjoyed vewy much... even though the 3d 'dungeoncrawl' engine and especially the sounds in FP sucked. :P

The gameplay concept of Birthright was awesome. It's a shame that the game was a bugfest basically.  ::)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 06, 2009, 05:43:44 am »

I'm definately going to sign up to stardock and eagerly await it's release, now that i've studied this some more. (OOOo! maps!)
Also I'm currently playing 'Master of Magic', which is really old and fairly unbalanced for a strategy game.

I'm not going to pre-order though: EA might buy them up and spoil things. :P

...now how to apply for the alpha trials?
edit: ah crud! need to pre-order to DL betas.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:20:19 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 06, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »

What was the last time the net code for a stardock game failed spectacularly, rendering the game unplayable for everybody except hamachi pirates?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »

What was the last time the net code for a stardock game failed spectacularly, rendering the game unplayable for everybody except hamachi pirates?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually the developer of Demigod is Gas Powered Games, and not Stardock. Stardock is the publisher. Elemental is being developed AND published by Stardock.  ;)
Trust me....Elemental's net code will be perfect. Why do I think so? Just read this forum post: http://forums.elementalgame.com/345203
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:52:57 pm by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24