Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS  (Read 50549 times)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:45 pm »

will the ai bots be heuristic?
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2008, 07:17:37 pm »

Update!  8)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/332712

Integrated physics

"In Elemental there is no such thing as a knight or a wizard or an archer.  Instead, players design their own units.  If you wanted to call a unit a knight, you might take a man, equip him with some armor, give him a helmet, arm him with a sword, and pair him up with a horse.

The armor, helmets, swords, etc. are things you manufacture and thus have some control over how they look. Normally, customizing an individual unit falls only in the realm of role playing games. And what they tend to do is called texture merging. That is, they simply blend various textures together.

In Elemental, what we're doing is actually giving each item its own heft with its own physics.  The trick is to find a way to do this that still lets it run on lower end hardware so it has to be done smartly. At the same time, you want the guy with that new Core i7 with the latest nVidia or ATI card to look at it and go DAMN that's cool.

The example we have going is a knight that we've equipped with armor, a sword, a helmet, along with a horse with its own armor.  When they move, each item moves as if it were real. That is, the armor on the horse when the horse is running moves like you would expect.  The knight riding the horse moves on the horse as you'd expect and even the sword dangling from the side moves as you would expect. 

Normally, to get such an effect, you would have to model/bone/rig/animate the entire unit together.  The breakthru here is that these elements are all independent and created by the players and they just work together.  I'll try to get a little video or something to show this in action next time.

This will really make the tactical battles really compelling. Since so much of the game revolves around the premise of massive unit differentia, you will see some really breathtaking battles I think."

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2008, 07:43:17 pm »

I think I'm having an unstoppable joygasm from this game. :D
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2008, 04:53:49 am »

Finaly a game where horizontal impulse cannons are a valid weapon other then gmod.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2008, 05:30:14 pm »

Finaly a game where horizontal impulse cannons are a valid weapon other then gmod.
I'd love to hear how you accomplish that.
And on topic, any release date yet?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

I want a knight that rides men into battle with his thong flail.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »

So.... we could make a race composed entirely of.... MICE WITH TINY BATTLEAXES! RAWRR!

Bear. Cavalry.
Me wanty gaem nao.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2008, 08:26:40 pm »

Can we make giant orbital cannons? Because my entire army will be composed of those.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:27 am »

Update time!  8)

I. Full Medallion list

http://forums.elementalgame.com/333216

II. Elemental Artwork styles

http://forums.elementalgame.com/333264

"One of the challenges in making Elemental has been to create a game with a very distinctive look. A lot of land-based strategy games tend to look pretty similar to one another. 

What we want with Elemental is an art style that someone will instantly be able to identify with this particular game.  To that end, we have developed an art-style that is kind of a water-color look.

One of our challenges is that we want players to be able to zoom in on units as closely as they want or zoom out as well and have the performance be good while still being pretty and have varying degrees of visuals based on the hardware.

At the low end, we want most Pixel Shader 2 cards (ATI 9800 or Geforce 6800 or better or most remotely recent laptops) to run the game fine. But by fine, we don't mean ugly but rather stylized. With stylized graphics, we can do some interesting things to make the game attractive on lower end cards rather than just turning off shadows and lighting and making the game look ugly."

----------

More infos:

- Elemental will use the Havok physics engine.
Proof: http://forums.elementalgame.com/332712/page/2/#1977215

- "Late alpha" will be available before the beta program begins:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/331946/page/1/#1964504
"In terms of the beta, all users who pre-order have access to the beta program.

But we are looking to have a private Beta 0 or pre-beta or late alpha or something available before the beta program begins that will largely go to users with high karma / have GalCiv II / Sins  / Demigod so that we can make sure the first beta works.  There's a lot of new tech going into this that we will need some outside testing with."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:48:43 am by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2008, 07:04:17 am »

Concept: Understanding unit production

http://forums.elementalgame.com/334164

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"In Elemental, you design your own units. Give them whatever name you want to give them, equipment them with weapons, armor, helmets along with deciding how much training they need.

Creating a soldier or a scout or a knight or what have you boils down to how long it takes you to have the equipment on hand and training which is raw time. 

There is still "quick build" but that simply, at a cost, gets supplies to that town a lot quicker. It's like having your "stuff" sent to you via Fed Ex Air rather than UPS Ground.

So we're still playing around with this concept so would love to hear thoughts on it."

"Like GalCiv, we will have templates. Like GalCiv: Twilight of the Arnor, those templates will automatically update as your tech and such gets better.

The tech trees are differnet in Elemental than in GalCiv. They're a lot more like MOO 1 actually (a lot of parts of the game are more like MOO 1 (not 2) than GalCiv so it's not about researching "Super swords" or something but rather investing in a type of sword and it gets better and better over time which is automatically inherited by the units.

To use a GalCiv analogy:

Imagine if ship weapons were missiles, phasers, and photons.  Those are the only 3 weapon techs.  You then put your research into those 3 weapon techs and over time, they get better and better and thus your ships get better and better automatically. You don't have to redesign your units nearly as often as a result.  We might throw in flavor text on the latest tech names but they won't be different components like they are in GalCiv II.

So while you may have a Cutlass versus a Long sword versus a bastard sword (for instance) you won't have Super Cutlas, Super Duper Cutlas, etc. That you have to research and then equip all your units with.  You'll simply research Cutlass and over time the Cutlass will get better.

The reason for this is because we want players to customize their units and there's a lot more opportunity in Elemental to do some cool stuff in this area than there was in GalCiv in some ways."

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 07:06:20 am by Tormy »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2008, 07:16:02 am »

The dev journal has been updated again!  8)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/334445

Elemental Physics part 2

When looking at the graphics in Elemental as we show them, there are two things to remember:

1. We're over a year away from release so we're talking very preliminary artwork.

2. It's a strategy game not an RPG so the units aren't going to have the kinds of detail that an RPG has because we have to display thousands and thousands of these units on screen.

So the other day we discussed how equipment being added to your units would work with the Intel Havok physics engine. The idea is that when you add armor to a unit or  other equipment that it wouldn't just be some sort of texture blend as seen in most traditional 3D games but rather the equipment mixes and matches with physics being applied.

The trick here is performance and obviously this would not be displayed on lower end machines (the graphics would just stay together like in most games). But the idea is to future proof the game and provide some visual candy and greater immersion as people see their created units doing their thing.

It's worth noting that one could just play the game zoomed out in the cloth map and never even see an actual unit so people who don't care about this kind of thing don't have to look at it.  But people (like me) who really like seeing their units in action can watch the units go into battle.

For this video below, we took a horse and equipped it with horse armor to show how it worked together.

Video: http://www.draginol.com/videos/physics.wmv

--------

I must say that the animation is impressive.  :)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »

Elemental Inspirations

http://forums.elementalgame.com/334864

Excerpt from "Guardians of the Telenanth"

Draginol the Mithrilar was not wholly ruined in the beginning. Unlike the other 4 Mithrilar, Draginol was not created in the beginning. He was once mortal and like all mortal men, he sensed the passage of time which, ultimately, would be his undoing.

Where Draginol came from and who he was is covered elsewhere. What is relevant is that for a long while, he found himself alone. The other Mithrilar had no concept or understanding of a physical form. They existed as spirits and did not view time and space in the same way a mortal man would.

In time, Draginol came to understand the Telenanth. This immense crystaline object was the source of all energy in the universe. As the tool of creation, it was the ultimate source of power and Draginol came to yearn for the ability to control that power such that he could order things as he saw fit.

With the Telenanth, Draginol created the Arnor. As powerful as the Telenanth and Draginol were, however, creating a form of life was beyond Draginol’s capability, even with the Telenanth. The Arnor were and still are, merely mechanism that are aspects of Draginol himself.

During the creation of the Arnor, Draginol strove to make them truly alive. It was only after nearly a hundred had been made that he came to understand that he could not truly create lives but merely mechanism that were reflections of himself. As a result, Draginol changed his objective from creating life for the sake of life to creating tools that would do his bidding in help order the universe to his liking. To that end, Draginol created a legion of other Arnor without putting in the time and effort he had put in to the first 5 score of them.

This distinction in how the Arnor were made led to a rift between the two groups. The first group, like Draginol, sensed the passage of time and were filled with a need to right the wrongs of the universe. The second group, unlike Draginol, did not sense the passage of time and were far more passive and malleable to strong leaders.

However, there were a few Arnor that existed in the transition between the two groups. Like the first, they were filled with a need to right the wrongs of the universe. But, like the second, they did not sense a passage of time. Of this transitionary group the best known is Tandis the Arnor.

For a time, it was good. The mightiest of the Arnor, the first group, led the second group to building a great civilization. As with Draginol, however, time was their enemy. The passage of time on a mortal consciousness is a great destroyer.

Eventually, the need to do right led to the need to control. They knew that other life would be appearing in the universe relatively soon but had no way to leave their world. Because they were immortal in body but mortal in mind, they lacked the capability of growing in mind indefinitely. They reached a peak of understanding and could never grow beyond that. As a result, the Arnor were slow to develop technology, to leave their world.

But these Arnor did understand the power of energy very well. The dark energy (what some might call “magic”) that resided in themselves they harnessed extremely well. With enough of it, they could build a device that would let them travel anywhere.

With the only source of this energy being the Arnor themselves, the mightiest of the Arnor began to subjugate their weaker brethren. This caused the irrevocable split between the two groups of Arnor with the former becoming the Dread Lords and their minions, the Dread Knights.

In time, the Dread Lords had nearly wiped out all of the other Arnor in an effort to take their life force and place it into an orb-like object that would contain enough power to let the Dread Lords do virtually anything they wanted.

But the Dread Lords were ultimately defeated. Tandis the Arnor led the other Arnor in a last-ditch defense of their people but the ultimate downfall of the Dread Lords came from Draginol himself in the ultimate act of betrayal.

Draginol had used the Dread Lords to create the orb so that he could take possession of it when the time was right. His path of ruination had begun before the Dread Lords had been created and thus had fallen far further than the Dread Lords had in their rationalization of using other sentient beings for their own ends.

The Dread Lords would bide their time and rise again once sentient beings began to take shape and would scatter across the universe. That tale, however, is told elsewhere.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »

The Dread Lords? I think Stardock is starting to run low on ideas for names. That, or they want to shove an easter egg into the game at some point.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »

It's the same universe as GalCiv. They've already said so, so it's not much of an easter egg or anything.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:52 am »

Wow, I can't believe that they're actually putting such vastly different games into the same universe like that.

And I mean that in a good way.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24