Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: attempting to build floor, blocked?  (Read 783 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
attempting to build floor, blocked?
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:39 pm »

.40d, winxp, multiple systems.

I was making a platform. So I built a walls into a 5x5 square. and ramps leading up to the top. When I try to build a floor over the entire area enclosed by the walls I built below, It won't let me and complains that it's blocked...

However if I build part of the floor in one build order and the rest of the floor with the next, it's fine.  Easily worked arround but probably not normal. Hope the diagrams make it easy to observe/replicate.

Code: [Select]
W = Wall
w = Wall Below
R = Ramp
F = Floor

Z Level X

WWWWW
W   W
W   W
W   W
WWWWW
RRRRR

Z Level X +1
If I attempt to do this in one step it won't let me because the area is "blocked"
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF

However If I do this it works
Step 1.
wwwww
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
Step 2.
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF
FFFFF

I do not need to wait for the first floor section to finish.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:36:32 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: attempting to build floor, blocked?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:39:48 pm »

You're trying to build floors over your ramps? Ramps are constructions, aren't they?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:03:24 am »

You're trying to build floors over your ramps? Ramps are constructions, aren't they?

They're constructions ON THE LEVEL BELOW.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:32:48 pm »

A side view would look like this
Code: [Select]
F = Floor, R = Ramp, Wall
Z + 1   FFFFF
Z      RWWWWW

In anycase the floor is only over the walls  and the space between
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »

I haven't built any floors with the resizable square thingy so I could be way off - but perhaps the problem is that the squares in the middle aren't connected to anything (hanging in mid-air, as they are) and therefor the entire thing fails?

After all, from how I understand it the uhkm thingies only facilitate a bunch of construction orders at once - and they're built individually and can be cancelled individually - so you don't actually order the construction of a square as a whole. So the floor pieces in the middle cannot be built, and therefore the whole square can't be built.

Does that seem sensible? I dunno if it's actually correct, but it makes sense to me... :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:38:43 pm »

Wasn't there a bug report earlier about something like this? The report said that if he designated the entire space minus one row, it worked, but adding that row made it not work, if I recall correctly.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels