Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rate the fort above you. (Map archive)  (Read 2131 times)

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
Rate the fort above you. (Map archive)
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »

Like the title says. Just rate the fort above you, on a scale from one to ten. It dosn't have to be a good fort, or have impressive megaconstructions, it can just be a new fort, like mine, that has great potential. Feel free to comment on anything, it's not a formal competition.

Here's mine, Ner Lorsith, the lake of Eagles, located on a terrifiying mountain, a benign lake, and some untamed hillands. It's only special feature is the lake/sand.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3568-nerlorsith-thelakeofeagles

EDIT: D'Oh. Forgot the link!

And you don't have to post a map. You can comment/rate a map untill another one is posted.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:21:08 pm by Sareth »

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the fort above you. (Map archive)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:15:11 pm »

Your avatar scares me :'(

;D
Nice idea, I will maybe do it sometime.

Aesthetic: 6/10 Its not very opulent, I really enjoy massive museums dedicated to the insane ruler of Cogville.

Functionality: 8/10 It looks pretty functional to me, good job.

Defense: 8/10 From what I can tell its pretty tough against attackers.

Overall: 7.5/10 Its pretty good, if it had some decorations and maybe some buildings it would score higher in the aesthetic.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:40 pm »

I would give efficiency a little less. Do you see where his farms are? Then again, they are purely for beer. Then again, they are purely for beer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:01:34 pm »

Your avatar scares me :'(

It's Dr. Roxo, the Rock & Roll Clown.  He does cocaaaine!

Seriously, dude.  A lot of cocaine.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:21:33 am »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-2639-oldtrumpet

I completed it a while ago back in .38c. Yes I had to place every single block separately by (b)uild -> (C)onstructions -> (w)all -> Green glass block. The worst thing is that i didn't get to drop it, I tried to load up 3Dwarf, while I was saving the file. It corrupted the save.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:47:53 am »

That sucks Fey Dwarf. (Not the map, the save corrupt)

Aethestic 9.5/10. Awesome vertical engineering. Good job on that.

Functionality 9/10: Having most things acessed easily on different z-levels seems like a good idea to me.

Defense 10/10: It's a box of glass. Impenetrable.

Overall: 9.5/10 Sick fort. Keep up the good work.

In response to magikarcher, those massive muesams and giant bridges are all planned, although it is just year 2 and we have just recieved the first immigrant wave. The military has a few champions and one axedwarf we brought along for embarkment. And the farms are where they are because that's the only area soil is in, and I can't irrigate for my life. First mountain fortress. I tend to stick to plains fortresses.

EDIT: Amoursmith with a fey mood; no anvil.  :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:51:09 am by Sareth »

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:13:59 am »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-2639-oldtrumpet

8/10, What could go wrong with a giant glass cube suspended over the sea/lake?  The small original fort is also neat, especially the entrance

My old, oooold fort:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1823-lashchant

I worked hard on the symmetry, but unfortunately this one wasn't a keeper.

EDIT:  Great idea for a thread!
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:56:07 am »

Bloody awesome.

I mean wow. That's huge.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:38:03 pm »

How do you plan stuff like that Krash?

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 05:22:44 pm »

How do you plan stuff like that Krash?

A little bit of crazy and a little bit of manical perfectionist :D

This was the third fort where I tried to perfect the design, that helped a lot.  I did a bit of mix and match from older designs, combined with a few improvements.  The idea was really old; sketched out crudely in a block I still think I have somewhere.  Trouble was getting things to be exactly symmetric.  Counting every square almost drove me crazy.

I actually had a save several years later, but unfortunately, my comp crashed (corrupted windows install), so the 14 millon bucks version will never be seen (this one was about 3-4 mill).

But this isnt even the worst.  I made another fort, maybe less gigantic but even more insanely opulent.  It had a king's housing three stories high, surrounded by magma, several hundred statues with two gems set in each, and an insane amounts of tombs and wealth (26 mill), but then I got a virus and lost everything... again.

I'm thinking/planning something ever more extreme when the new version hits though.  Who knows, i might post it here.  It's not gonna be as symmetric though, more natural, and I'll try to get to a 100 mill
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:30:35 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:20 pm »

Architecture?  9/10 for the original design, wow.

8/10 for efficiency from what I can see, since it'd take forever to get around.

Defense is 7/10, a good start but just the one fortification and the bridges means that apart from a fast level pull you don't have the greatest built-in defenses, and anything on the bridge when it rises would have an easy entry from the doors a level below.

overall: 8/10 or so, hampered mostly because of that defensive flaw.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3543-cavepacks

I'd have posted the latest version of this fortress instead, but the map archive is telling me .fdf-map files are not allowed on the server, go figure.  Anyways, I'll post when I actually get the fort uploaded
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »

Figured this would be a good time to ask the question why the map archive doesn't have a feature to rate the maps?  I found it quite odd there was no ratings for the maps.  It would be nice to be able to browse the top 10 or something.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »

^Agreed.^

Also, wait till you guys see my map in a few years. I made some really cool docks, and my fort has windows everywhere, so that the whole place is naturally lighted. (With abit of a green tint, pearlash is just too hard to make with my limited wood.)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:14 pm »

Okay, got the updated map up.  Apparently, the DFMA uploader doesn't work with Chrome
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 08:06:53 pm »

I would post a map but my forts are modded.  They also arent really spectacular to look at.  I like making big construction projects but in my current fort they all failed.

I had a constructed coloseum floating 6z levels above a river canyon that looked very impressive... until I screwed up and deconstructed the wrong tile after neglecting to doublecheck my connections during the "scaffolding" removal. Then it turned into a fancy design made of boulders at the bottum of the river.

I accidentally penetrated the aquifer from the side...twice...during the construction of the happiness center.  All I got out of that was a waterfall in the fancy statue garden that doubles as a garbage dump pit(the water pushes the garbage to the river through the drainage channels I hastily built)

And the only thing that looks at all impressive is a simple covered bridge with sides made of green glass.  Unfortunately even that is marred.  Because it happened to have been built underneath the old garbage dump.  And it got a nice covering of damaged food and body parts before I noticed.

Not even the wall is finished. But I guess I'll post it because I made this big speech. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3573-skywater

EDIT:Figured somebody would rate cavepacks before I posted but since nobody did.

Defence:10/10  I don't see anything easily getting in there.  Wouldn't take much of a military to hold what weaknesses there are.  Even if the goblins could build bridges and break walls.

Comfort:9/10 All the residences are engraved and there looks to be plenty of booze and prepared meals.

Style:9/10 Bet it looks cool in 3Dwarf

Overall I give it 9/10  Looks better than anything I made.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:14:17 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2