Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 191253 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2004, 12:09:00 am »

A gnarly bush that grows nuts, a small herb and a poisonous bulb.  I have vague plans for these things, but they didn't come up in fermentation.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2004, 08:04:00 am »

I so know what those 3 plants do. The nuts are explosive, giving the dwarves bazookas when they use the nuts as ammo for slings. The herb is part of the Potion of Omnipotence, and the bulb thingie is the one thing Balrog hates... gives them the hiccups. Do you know how annoying it is for firebreathing (not to mention semi-made out of fire) creatures to have the hiccups?
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2004, 08:12:00 am »

is there any chance for dwarves to spill their chosen intoxicating beverage, fly into a berserk rage, kill everybody in the immediate vicinity and then mourn for the loss of their drink?
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2004, 08:34:00 am »

I dont think dwarves are *THAT* alcoholic. After all, is there yet to be a dwarf that hasn't spilled a drink in his or her life? And what effects would that have on the gameplay? Just think of one of your most skilled battle-dwarves spilling his drinks and going on said berserker rampage killing spree... No more dwarf fortress for sure!
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »

I didn't make any individual accidents like that.  Drunkeness isn't done.  I'm not sure how it will manifest itself.

Remember, no Balrog.  Just "Demon" or...  some other name.  Like Snuggypoo.  Or Tubbubbubble Sunshine.  It'll be good.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2004, 07:55:00 pm »

It should definately be "Demon" in honor of this guy.    :D

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2004, 08:33:00 pm »

It's fine, just release a safe version with green blood and all the rest of the PC shit, and I'll release and unofficial patch that makes 'em Balrogs again etc.

X

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2004, 03:47:00 pm »

just use suitable hebrew-ish names and you've got Demons all sorted, name wise. i could probably PM you a site or two that would have names to give you ideas from, if you wanted.
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2004, 03:03:00 am »

Nah, Blizzard is prolly using em... Remember seeing both Mephisto and Baal on such a list, so instead of tolkien suing you'd get blizzard instead... which is worse!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2004, 10:19:00 am »

You're safe with the Bible, no one has tried to copyright that yet. However, I'd be quite offended if Toad did use biblical demons, as the are mostly just the gods of rival tribes, or earlier civilisations. The winners write history, after all.
Ba'al - early Semitic origins, see also Berith, Beelzebub etcetc.
Lucifer - mistranslation of the bible!
Mephistopheles - made up by germans.
Diablo, of course, is just spanish.

X

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »

Or do what dungeon crawldoes.

Make random names for the various demonic lords.

[ December 14, 2004: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »

Crawl used to have a lot of DND/Dante type names.  Maybe they changed it around.

My general policy before has been to use random names for things.  All the individual creatures have them (except for deer, etc.), in 4 different languages (humans, elves, dwarves and goblins).  Pets of a creature are named in that creatures language.  Rather than the weird names from Armok, I'm using syllables that mean things and gluing them together, then I display the name with the translation.  Sort of Tolkie again, but I'm not using his languages.

Edit: I think the point is not to come up with individual names, unless that serves as a replacement for all things you'd call "Balrogs" (ie you'd only meet a few, so we don't need a creature name).  A Balrog is a class of creatures, hence the suggestion Demon.  It's not that important though, as long as it isn't Balrog, or anything that can be construed to be a sufficiently Balrog-like within the legal framework.

[ December 14, 2004: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »

For the 4 hells Crawl does have traditional names for the Major Devils.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2004, 08:26:00 pm »

Ah, that's what I was remembering.

1074.  The next 10 or so are actually more like 30...  just lists within lists of tweaking to do.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2004, 09:06:00 pm »

I'm curious Toady. What is the ratio of bugs/code do you write? I'm at about 33%

[ December 14, 2004: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57