Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 191266 times)

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #780 on: August 01, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

yay! 2 years of beta testing for all! Finally my dreams will come true.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:00 am »

You know, the last time I was this psyched up about a game being released was way back in the Amiga days when a rolling demo of Frontier: Elite 2 appeared on a coverdisk. I must've watched that through dozens of times before the game eventually came out  :)

Out of curiosity, how often will the game releases come after the 8th? I can understand you're not going to want to do new versions daily, but... once a fortnight?... month?... 2 months?... as and when we complain enough?   :D ...

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #782 on: August 01, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »

I've been sending new copies to my brother and the others every few days.  That might be a bit extreme, but depending on what I'm working on at the time anywhere from, I dunno, 1 to 2 weeks, especially if I've fixed some naughty naughty bugs, because I hate having them up on the web.  It's an OCD thing or something.  It makes my skin itch.  Unless they are LCS and Armok bugs, apparently those can be on the web for a long time.  If rapid releases end up causing too much confusion with save file versions and so on it might be stretched.

That's something to consider anyway...  there are world files which can accommodate many successive fortresses.  Ideally, these files could last a long time.  But it's still a bit early in the development process, so both bugs and the rapid addition of new features are working against world longevity.  People probably shouldn't become too attached to particular worlds at the moment.  It's also good to back up frequently, since a bug can corrupt one of the many files and then slowly cause the degeneration of your universe.  Now, you'll be able to load old worlds with the new versions (with rare exceptions), but since world generation often incorporates new features your old world will be missing some things, especially new creatures and objects and so on.  It'll be up to the individual how often they want to re-gen.

I imagine the process will work itself out a bit once we've tried it.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 01, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »

Personally, I'm hoping there will be a new version out on August 16, for obvious reasons. Ideally including Req129, or Bloat128, or Bloat42, or... yeah, okay, I'll stop reading the progress page and daydreaming now. I imagine it'll mostly be just bug fixes early on.

It's hard to believe it's so close. I've been eagerly anticipating it since I first found out about it. I know I was lurking here for a while before I started posting- I can't remember exactly, but I think I might have been reading when this thread was first posted. So, nearly two years of waiting. Wow.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 01, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »

There will be longer and color coded development pages for you to read in a week or so.  Not to mention Threetoe's collection of literature.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 01, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »

I actually agree with Prospero. Although of course the game differed for me. I know it won't be polished, but I'm still psyched more about this game than anything else coming out in the near future. Or even the next couple years.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #786 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:00 am »

*hands the 6 day bell to Toady*

Ring it, my good sir.

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 02, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »

I've got a week off work next week, and just realisde that it coincides with the release of DF. Dang. I was meant to be using it to find a proper career and I can see you distracting me Toady  :)

Incidentally, I posted about this over at the DROD forums (you guys should check out drod.net - it's probably the best puzzle game ever made) expecting some interest, and all I got was "Man, that website's ugly!" (or words to that effect) - perhaps a bit of sprucing up will be in order before too long...

etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 02, 2006, 03:18:00 pm »

There's going to be a new web site at release time, but perhaps text games won't be for them if they like the flashier things.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 04, 2006, 07:20:00 am »

Go Toady, go! Only another 4 days!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 04, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »

That's right!  For every 3 crash bugs fixed, 2 1/2 are introduced!  It will stop somewhere!

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 05, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

If fixing 3 bugs introduces 2.5, then the net effect is -0.5 actual bugs every 3 so-called bug-fixes. So you'll just have to work six times as hard as you do now to remove the current number of bugs. I mean, It's only six times, you know.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 05, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »

Happy birthday to Threetoe and Eagleon!  And other people, since August 5th seems popular.

back to cleaning...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 06, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »

We're having serious thunder storms now...  lightning strikes every 2 seconds or so.  Power's out.  Fortunately, the game is pretty much ready to go, so as long as I have net access it should be up on time.  My laptop is running on batteries now, so I'm gonna let it rest for a while in case the power is still out later...  hopefully it'll be fixed in a few hours thoug.  The forecast has thunderstorms through tomorrow night...

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 06, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

best back it up to a cd lest a bolt decide to fry the laptop.

*resumes stockpiling survival supplies for a week or two of dwarfing*

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57