Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195167 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #735 on: July 18, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

I guess since the release is like, only 20ish days away, I probably shouldn't talk too too much about it...  but yeah, I've created large pages detailing almost all of the reqs and bloats we've come up with, and some of those things are there in varying degrees (and some aren't!)

As for the first release, I think I can say that while a lot of the best things won't be there for months, there will be a certain sense in which that potential is highlighted in such a way as to create a sense of optimism about the future, beyond what was in the movies...  he he he...  vague!  I'm definitely into the idea of continuity and so on, and it's really the reason I started this project.  Just writing another RTS DK thing would be a waste of time.

Anyway, keep in mind this is an alpha pretty much.  There will be problems and frustrations, and all of you will grow to hate me and life.  But I'll keep trying to fix it and hopefully it will be good at some point.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 18, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »

No worries, I already hate life.  It can only be improved by the addition of a little Dwarf Fortress.  ;)

*sits back on haunches and returns to quietly rubbing his hands together with anticipatory glee*

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 18, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »

I think the addiction factor of Dwarves is similar to that of games like SIMs or Fish for that matter.  You have your dwarves and you can tell them what needs to be done.  They may or may not do it depending on their mood (good thing dwarves are generally orderly... Elf fortress could be annoying that way).  I find myself wanting to protect my dwarves and help them to be more productive in thier little tasks.  It gives joy the first time you can flood an area so that crops will be made from here on out... and your dwarves will always have food!  
Its a good feeling to put traps down so that evil monsters will be destroyed if they attempt to attack your peaceful little creatures.  Axes and crossbows can be made for hunting and dealing with the enemy that would attack you. (racoons included!)

Each of the dwarves has character.. you can learn what they like... and put a crystal studded marble statue in thier room to make them happy.. if they are good little dwarves!

Its great!

New ideas are also great!  I love the books/scholars idea.  That will definetly play in for magic and alchemy in the long run.  I love the idea of books teaching skills to new dwarves too!

That means that some dwarves could spend time in the library learning thier skills better so that they can make more money.. afford more stuff... and eventually better appartments and such!

Woot!

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 18, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

It's a wonderful game, but Toad will never admit it.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 19, 2006, 12:43:00 am »

I always figured that the dwarves would write/engrave the one thing they understand the most. STONE! Think clay tablets.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #740 on: July 19, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

Or metal sheets. There's already galena, for instance - you could choose to smelt it for the lead first to create plates, and then obtain the remaining silver through further refining. I'd imagine dwarves are already toughened against the toxic conditions found in mines; most ores have at least some potentially nasty impurities, and you don't want to breathe -any - kind of rock dust if you can help it.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »

Or just dig out a large chamber and cover the walls with the secrets of being a great mason.  That would probably be the easiest.

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:00 am »

Come on guys!  You know how this works...
Good ideas!!  They will probably ALL get put on the list!!  hehe..  When they will be come a priority is hard to say.  Writing is really tied into esoteric knowledge in fantasy worlds.. I figure it comes with magic or advanced religion... of course advanced religion then disposes of all other types of writing........  

Think NOT ye little dwarves!  For in thinking lies the root of evil, the route to the infernal pits!  Bless the mighty Armok for his benevolent hand, for your home is wrought of blood and stone!

[ July 20, 2006: Message edited by: Alanor ]

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 20, 2006, 10:31:00 am »

You know, a friend of mine, who I was describing DF to, inquired at some length about Dwarven religion.  Specifically, he wanted to know if they could create a cult worshipping the terrors from below, perhaps feeding them sacrifices to prevent them from boiling into the fortress.  Yet another use for kobold captives...  ;)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 20, 2006, 11:42:00 am »

Maybe then I'd look forward to elf visits...

I'm planning on writing a strategy guide, but as Toad learns the strategies he often ruins them.  Maybe you guys should just learn the tricks yourselves and Toad can work on other things...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

[is a gentle, warty pond-dwelling creature no more than six inches long]

How could I possibly ruin anything?  I'm not a cane toad.

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 21, 2006, 10:18:00 am »

Toad just wants propper consequences to exist... "oh.. think you can get away with hoarding tons of food?  What about the rats??"
Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 21, 2006, 11:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted on the daily progress page:
<STRONG>...fixed a crash bug involving people going insane during meetings.</STRONG>

*chuckles to self*

Surely that's not a bug, merely a natural effect of all meetings, everywhere?

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 21, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Prospero:
<STRONG>Surely that's not a bug, merely a natural effect of all meetings, everywhere?</STRONG>

My thoughts exactly...  ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 21, 2006, 12:25:00 pm »

He he he...  so, what actually happened was if they were at a meeting, and they were already having a crappy day and had been throwing tantrums, and they finally snapped during the meeting...  then due to the bug, instead of leaving the meeting, they forgot who they were and sat in their rooms crying, and because the world thought that all dwarves should know who they are, it exploded when it tried to clean their information.

Cleaned up a big lag today, and have one more in my sights...  now you'll only need 8 gigahertz to play it.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57