Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195168 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #720 on: July 12, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »

You're worried about messages?  ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #721 on: July 12, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »

Only the constant and annoying "this job has been cancelled" messages the dwarves send out...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 13, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »

Okay, so now that I finished Core32, I'm not going to add anything else major for the last stretch here so as to avoid introducing additional instability prior to the first release.  There are a bazillion smaller issues to deal with, so I'll be working those out instead.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 14, 2006, 10:37:00 am »

Gosh! Only 25 days left, which is 3.571 weeks! If you multiply those numbers together you get 89.275, which - startlingly enough - is in fact 12.3% of the number of posts in this thread (including this one)!
 Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 14, 2006, 12:39:00 pm »

If you hadn't included your own post, it would have exposed you as a charlatan.  But I believe in your power now.  What does the future hold?

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #725 on: July 14, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »

Come on, give me the winning lottery tickeet numbers  :)

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 15, 2006, 06:18:00 am »

I predict... hold on, it's just coming to me now... yes... I predict Italy will win the FIFA World Cup!   :eek:

Sorry but I'm completely drained after that. I need to play DF a bit to recharge :P

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 15, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

It's good that DF'll recharge you, because, you know, you're going to have to rewrite parts of your synopsis afterward.  The trials of maintenance...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 17, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »

[rings the little three week bell]

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://home.arcor.de/dungeonhunter/Screens/
« Reply #729 on: July 18, 2006, 02:35:00 am »

Too bad, I'm going to greek for more then 3 weeks now, won't have internet there... A good start for your game, though, but I have no doubt that the game will be liked. Don't forget to leave a post in rgr.announce.

For the lucky bastards who will be able to play the game, have fun!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 18, 2006, 03:40:00 am »

Toady should sell all those little bells on eBay after the game's out.. I'm sure there are lots of people ready to pay dozens of dollars for the little Dwarf Fortress three week bell.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Beleghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 18, 2006, 10:01:00 am »

I fear that the game will suffer the fate of Battlecruiser 3000 AD [and I don't mean the bugs]. I know people that don't like it simply because of it's level of complexity.  And Dwarf Fortress sounds overwhelming to say the least. I'm not complaining. I simply love  games with lots of numbers, variables and whatnot. It's just hard to find people who are into this sort of thing.

Just my 0.160465221 Zloty.

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 18, 2006, 11:40:00 am »

I could understand why some might be trepidatious, but I myself am jonesing for Dwarf Fortress.  My dwarves have already sketched a crude architectural diagram of their planned dig (complete with the traps necessary to flood the outer tunnels) and are looking forward to being eaten by whatever horrors await them in the Deeps...  ;)

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 18, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »

Speaking of the Deeps, and since no one has bothered you for information for a while, almighty Toad...

It's clear that the deeper you get, the more dangerous things become (as evidenced by repeated references to Balrogs in old posts, plus the giant frogs that leap out from under rocks and attack in some of the later movies.)  I'm wondering, apart from the riverine cave, are there any other naturally occurring chambers deep in the mountain?  These could have advantages (being basically free space the dwarves don't have to mine out, and perhaps more notably, don't have to haul all the rock away from) and disadvantages (swarming with terrors from below.)  ;)

Also, is there any provision for taking your dwarves out of the fortress to raid or destroy goblin/kobold/orc settlements?  I'm given to understand from previous posts that successive games all transpire within the same world, so I was thinking it'd be pretty awesome to pay a visit to your previous fortresses once they're overrun by demons or goblins or what have you.  Probably good for a little loot, too.

Finally, my own thought for a bloat -- books and libraries.  (Probably inspired by recently playing Dungeon Keeper again.)  Lots of options for creation -- papyrus (from reeds or similar plants), paper (from wood), or parchment (from animal skins) for writing surfaces, glue for binding (probably from bones), maybe some leather for a cover.  Then you'll need ink, and quills.  Why go to all the trouble?  Well, I can think of lots of reasons.  Bookkeepers and brokers might be less effective without ledgers to keep track of their dealings, laws could be recorded, there could be some proto-educational system for children or the unlearned, whereby skilled dwarves could write books on topics they know something about ("Fer on Carpentry") and others can pick up their skills.

The most interesting possibility might be histories... the system probably stores enough info already for a dwarf to write a good history of a fortress.  "In 1021, in the reign of King So-and-So, Turråshemer didst establish a colony at Bèrnòrn.  Their leader was Ghükghük..." -- you get the idea.  These would probably be popular trade items, and might attract scholars (to learn) and scribes (to copy).  Plus, if, say, the history of Bèrnòrn was traded to merchants, it might be preserved even if the fortress falls; later fortresses might be able to trade for the histories of earlier ones, heightening the sense of continuity.

But these are merely idle thoughts, so feel free to ignore them.  You already have quite a bit on your plate, I can see...  ;)

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 18, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »

I don't know how popular Dwarf Fortress will get, but I think the main reason people didn't like Battlecruiser 3000 AD, as I understand it(I haven't played it), was that it was just boring. (well, that and Derek Smart's personality.) It was the sort of thing where there was much more focus on making the most realistic, in-depth space simulator imaginable than actually making it fun.

Dwarf Fortress is also incredibly complex, but from the movies it looks like it'll also be fun and addictive and all that good stuff. And that's pretty much my gaming ideal, at least. I think there's a chance it'll get a cult following- I mean, Nethack is an extremely complex game in its own right, and it's pretty popular.
In any case, we'll all get to play it and find out in three weeks, or in my case about a month.

Oh, and The_Hawk- I'll let Toad decide how much he wants to reveal, but I know that at least some of your ideas are going to be in the game. I'm not sure how much will be in by the first release, though...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57