Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195177 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #660 on: June 15, 2006, 10:34:00 pm »

The process continues.  14 various bugs went away today...  I'll be on that for a few more cycles, and then...  stuff.  There will probably be a lack of specific information for the last stretch here, since there are particular things that I wanted to put in the game that are going in now.  Things with names that can't be shared.  In any case, everything is still on schedule.  Speaking of which, 54 days.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2006, 03:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aristharus:
<STRONG>I love IVAN's graphics. The tiles are very well made and the way you see your equipment on your character is cool. So are the blood spatters and other liquids (sweat, vomit etc). It's strangely satisfying to hit a zombie with an axe only to see the zombie's arm flying off and your clothes and all the adjacent tiles covered in blood.</STRONG>

It's never quite as satisfying when your own arm however, is what you see going flying when you thought you could take that zombie, only to find out that he just struck you with a meteoric steel mace. or worse, an artifact.

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Things with names that can't be shared.</STRONG>

I take it that these are things we'll be pleasently (or in some cases, not so pleasently.) suprised to see, then?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »

Yeah, the last several weeks here will be full of surprises, so that your dwarves can have a bit more fun than what you all saw in the movies.  Poor dwarves.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 17, 2006, 01:41:00 am »

I'm starting to realize just how complex this game is going to be. I hope it's a very good manual you're writing...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2006, 01:49:00 am »

It's better than the manuals for my other games, which isn't saying anything.

I can post the manual when X finishes the html converter thingy, but he's a busy guy working for free.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 27, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

[dings the little six week bell]

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 28, 2006, 12:44:00 am »

[dances the little six week (minus one day?) jig]

2nd EDIT: Damn, I removed my signature from the post so it would look like the previous one, but now there's the edited by line, so that didn't really work...

And now there's this edit, too.

[ June 28, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 28, 2006, 10:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>[dings the little six week bell]</STRONG>

Did you notice that this post was the 666th post of the thread, by the way? Coincidence?

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 28, 2006, 10:57:00 am »

I didn't notice that.  I guess the countdown to Judgement has begun.  Were there dwarves in the Book of Revelation?  I wonder which side they'll be on.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #669 on: June 28, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »

The side of EVIL for sure.

I mean, just look at them. They are short. They are angry, and easily irritated. They kill the poor Tauren Hunters that accidently wander into their capital while said hunter is armed to the teeth with guns and explosives...

Eeeeeeeeevil!

And don't get me started on gnomes!!! ... Hmmmm, Gnome Fortress anyone?

Edit: I just realized, this game has been in the making for quite some time. I just looked at the first page, and there is me! Back in 2004!

[ June 28, 2006: Message edited by: Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Reinc ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 28, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

He he he.  I actually started it in October 2002, but I thought it would be out in a few months so I didn't say much about it.  As usual, it became bloated and lost among the rest of them.  Then I went back to it in the second half of 2004 and it has been the main focus since then.

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 29, 2006, 10:00:00 am »

It is a tremendous effort T!  There have been so many good projects that caught the bloat-disease.  Remember Space? Damn!  That was quite good.  Such a classic.  Runner too.  Its been a long time!
Do you realize that we 'in theory' have a high school reunion this year?

Perhaps the next project should be an "ASCII Movie generator" to reminisce the Adventures of Chun Kin Chu!!

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 29, 2006, 10:35:00 am »

Is "dwarven art" all that stuff about engravings into walls or something more like adjustment of ASCII characters?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2006, 11:05:00 am »

Man, I'm an ag-ed creature...  Runner ruled.  The first vga flying limbs game we did...  what was it?  50 each of knights, ottomans, zulus, samurai, goblins and skeletons hacking each other to pieces in vga?  You controlled one of them.   Then we tried to add a world map and it all fell apart.  Space was also triumphant.  It had pieces too...  burning chunks.  It's always about pieces.

Yeah, right now I'm fleshing out the engravings and item art work in terms of what the dwarves are actually making.  ASCII is going to be ASCII for the time being.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 29, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »

Okay, what was "The Adventures of Chun Kin Chu"? I think I saw it mentioned somewhere else on the boards, and now my curiosity is piqued. It sounds like it was an ASCII game? And that old flying limbs game sounds like it's ripe for a remake...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the item art is getting fleshed out. I remember you posted some of your plans for that earlier in the thread, and it all sounded really cool.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57