Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195175 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #630 on: May 26, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »

And when you get to the 6th scenario, you can access the knight's training center!  I find too much of that sort of thing very frustrating, but we could just talk now about how much people want to be hand-held.  You've seen the movies.

For startup, there could be "warning: no trees!" in big red letters if you happen to tab over to the start location screen and fiddle with it.  It's on a different menu, so somebody blazing through the startup wouldn't even see it.  If they don't spend their skill points, I could warn them with a popup window.  The default starting equipment and location are friendly.

X also wants to get rid of the build menu completely.  I'm not sure what he wanted to put in its place, or if it's possible to program it in 30 years.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #631 on: May 29, 2006, 11:48:00 am »

But X is a lunatic! Don't listen to the X, listen to the Y!!!

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 29, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »

Toad's really been trucking along lately. Four Reqs, two bugs, and a Core thing yesterday. I'm impressed.

Now that the manual and the init file are done, is there anything else left that absolutely has to go in before the release?

(Personally, I hope Req39 gets done before then. Dwarves being able to cut trees without axes is a little thing, but in a game as deep as this, it's a suspension-of-disbelief shattering little thing. And Req87 would be nice also. Poor Norndarnòrn... And also I want Bloat61, and Bloat128, and Core11, and Req129, and, and... uh, yeah. I'll stop now. Sorry about that.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 29, 2006, 06:31:00 pm »

The last two days were mega-days.

As far as what absolutely has to go in, TT and I have basically worked out the proper path up to the release, and of course, it goes through Core31, Core38 and Core32.  Nuthin, nuthin and nuthin.  The other definite thing is Req292.  "Get names to associate properly with connotations."  For example, one of my masons had a name that translated to "Gutterpants".  No matter how elusive dwarven women are, the mother could not escape the child's wrath.  The connotation lists are already done, they just need to be applied.  That's coming soon.  Then dwarves can be called "Orrin
Stoutboulder" and so on.  Dwarfly names.

That said, there will be time left over.  I'll probably do Core36 (burrows) if I get a chance, since large fortresses are hard to manage.  Req129 (the cooking stuff) was slated somewhere in there, since I hate having seeds as the main substrate for a meal.

I could do Req39 sometime.  I just have to do it the same way I require picks for mining, and wood-chopping and mining are both designation jobs, so it's easy.

Drowning was toned down a bit.  When I looked at Req87 it turned out to be more related to drowning vs. suffocation kill cause notifications, although it also had a note about allowing them to spit out some water and survive easier.

Bloat128 is totally a bloat, so it's not up on the list, although it'll be amusing no doubt.

Core11 is high on my list, but with the amount of time left I might not get there, and I should probably do magic before I flesh the leaders out.  And magic requires fire...  Fire was after burrows, if I get there.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 29, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »

"Gutterpants." Oh god... ah ha hah ha. Yeah, I think I see why Req292 is such a high priority. It would be a perfect name for a low-level goblin, though.

Thanks for filling me in on all that stuff. By the way, wasn't the burrow thing a Req and Core36 something else not that long ago?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

Yeah, when I was looking through it, I discovered that Core36 was moot/duplicated and after playtesting, burrows was elevated to the slot.

This was partially because it is then easier conceptually to center a number of Reqs around its completion, like all of the pile/hauling ones.  So when I do Core36...  Req1, Req18, Req22, Req24, Req28, Req47, Req67, Req128, Req146, and Bloat32 are slated for consideration as well.

I guess tabbed browsing is handy for these discussions.

Kinghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2006, 11:20:00 pm »

So... I see that the manual is done. Can I have it? Please?
I had a good idea for a signature so I decided to use it but then I forgot it. This wasn''t it, but this is pretty good too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2006, 11:23:00 pm »

It's currently an in-game manual.  We've been discussing the best way to convert it to html.  It's also very unclear when that will happen.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 30, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »

Looks like yesterday was another mega-day. I think eight Reqs in one day is a record, at least since the progress page went up. And you did Req39! Thanks.

What does Bloat93 involve? I had sort of thought amorous relationships were already in- at least I think I remember two dwarves of the opposite sex in the movies who shared a bed and eventually the female dwarf had a child. Is it courtship-type stuff? And what is dwarven courtship like, anyway? I suspect this could be a pretty amusing part of the game...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 30, 2006, 08:23:00 pm »

Yeah, it's more the courtship portion leading to couples.  Couples can arrive at the fortress, but dwarves that don't know each other can only become friends and invite each other to parties currently.  I want them to either be able to pair off if it works out, or to start to dislike each other possibly.

I haven't really thought about what dwarves courtship involves, but it could be entertaining, like you say...

Nothing but names today.  We've moved beyond gutterpants.  A bit more dignified now.  Though a squad of dwarves did just name itself "days of fat".  Another was "the awe-inspiring prowler-hooves of rampage".  And "the swift sick sisters"...

[ May 30, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 01, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »

The swift-kick sisters sound rather scary  :)
etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 01, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »

Was Treason the scifi book where "he kicked the soldier hard enough to castrate a bull" or something to that effect?  It's like that.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #642 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »

If it does become possible, I will name a squad "Please guild mates, send me more copper ore" or maybe "I sure wish that silver vein has some nice gems in it"...   :)

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 03, 2006, 11:06:00 am »

Check out the Excellent progress!!!
Knocking out reqs like my Legendary miner hunts for gold deposits!

Of course I have been playing lots of WoW too.  Dangerous!  fun!

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 04, 2006, 11:22:00 pm »

Might we have a hint regarding an aspect of this Req that is taking so long?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57