Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195171 times)

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #600 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:00 am »

Lies! I only do that when there is a new page involved!

« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:00 am »

Like now!   :D   :D   :D

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 12, 2006, 02:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Ancient Sleeping Dude double-posts all the time, so it must be okay!</STRONG>

Oh..

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 12, 2006, 02:16:00 am »

...Okay then.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 13, 2006, 04:13:00 am »

Finally got round to registering to say how excited I am about this game (and to tell you to watch out for that Aristharus bloke, he's a wily one...) :P
etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

« Reply #605 on: May 13, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »

Once again I've managed to corrupt a forum to the art of double posting... Now there is only one thing left to do before all of yalls mind snaps...

*brings out the Micheal Jackson and various boybands CDs*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #606 on: May 13, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

Hello Beef.  Finland as well?  It is my impression that people from Finland can appreciate text games, unlike many people from my own country.

ASD...  so...  you're into that kind of music?  It's good to have interests.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 14, 2006, 05:26:00 am »

Beef! Good to see you here! Come and join the worshipping of The Great Toady One! Let me hand you today's sacrifice...

Actually he isn't Finnish, we just know each other from another forum, where there's lots of people who appreciate text games, too.

Just noticed that I regulate three forums in addition to that one and now on every one of them there's someone I know from the Abandonian forums... Hmm.. Are you guys spying on me?

[ May 14, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 15, 2006, 12:35:00 am »

Of course we are.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

Hey, one of the mysterious bloats I was hoping for went in. Neat.

When the game comes out, how easy will it be to figure out what that bloat is? Is it pretty obvious, or is it something we'll have to guess at?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 15, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »

I think it'll be fairly common, and pretty easy to run into, especially in the mid-game, though you might have to follow the signs a little to understand fully.

I just revised the list a bit, including all of the new reqs and bloats to come out of the post OO-testing.  Many of them are blank, of course.

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 16, 2006, 04:25:00 am »

quote:
Hmm.. Are you guys spying on me?

Of course - how else would we make sure you're worthy of having around?

etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 16, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »

84 days left?  That's 12 weeks...  time is flying for me.  I've written up many chunks of the manual and am writing up more today.  I'm also going to try to chase down every stray key press so that if you reeeally need to, you can just use letters and numerals.  Right now, the game uses 1-9 to scroll around (and the numberpad is mapped to 1-9), but if for some reason that doesn't work, then you could pick 9 conveniently placed letters to do the scrolling and cursor controls, and map those letters over to the digits 1-9.  This would be easy to do from the interface text file with find-replace, or you can slog through it from the in-game interface.  There's an additional problem in that sometimes two scroll bars are active, and you use the /*-+ keys (convenient on numberpads) to use the secondary scroll bar.  If you don't have these keys, you'll have to map them over to something else, depending on your keyboard.  I might need to do some more work with virtual keys and all that to get windows to pick up every combination you can throw at it, and I don't know how to do some of that right now.  Sticking with letters and numbers will be best for now, but on some screens there are a lot of options.  We'll just deal with the exceptions as they arise after some point.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 17, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »

i presume this dictionary code you just finished is a in-game glossary of some sort, listing all the stuff you've discovered?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:00 pm »

The civilization knowledge base is more like what you described, but there isn't an associated interface for it right now.

By dictionary, I meant the list of english words with their translations into dwarvish, elvish, goblin and whatever the human language is.  Before I had something like 100 words, but I took a list I had sitting around from another half-finished game, and now I have 1017 words (not counting noun/verb/adj permutations), and a little program that I can use to add new words in quickly.  There are also "symbol" lists that say which words relate to 'violent', 'flowery', 'death' and so on, so when it chooses the names of prominent good and evil figures and locations the names won't be too jarring.  The words that don't fit can be removed in advance.  Some of those words have the 'ugly' and 'untoward' symbols.  You are now warned.

The translations were generated at random.  Aside from using the right letters for the language (which is done by the computer), most of them have not been checked for the right feeling.  I hope I'll get a chance to do that, but who knows when.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57