Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 195165 times)

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #570 on: April 20, 2006, 12:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Demon:
<STRONG>Maybe if the hammerer picked the place to be smashed more...  intelligently...</STRONG>

This sounds painful...

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 21, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »

ops...Sorry for being late...happy birthday the same, though :-|
I'm very happy to know things are happening, and I'm somewhat ashamed I don't have a credit card or something to give some economic support :-( Still, I can give plenty of moral and intellectual support!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #572 on: April 21, 2006, 07:37:00 pm »

All of the people who don't have credit cards can just let me crash at their places as I hitchhike around Europe, once I'm broke.  You can let me upload B12 files from your internet connections too.

I fixed a bunch of crash bugs related to the code changes I've been doing, and it seems to be running smoothly again, somewhat.  Since the August 8th date is drawing near, I'm going to SOMEHOW not do fire, and focus instead on things I think definitely have to go in before I release.  The rest can go in afterward once everybody has seen the basic shape of the game.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 21, 2006, 07:54:00 pm »

Me, I'm just hoping the Assyrian shit-talking makes it in before August. Also the two mysterious and special bloats, if possible...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 21, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

I already wrote some Assyrian shit-talking for a side-project, so I think there's a chance it could make it (though it depends on a lot of things, and I think my brother might have the books for that...  or maybe I have some of them).  Both of the mysterious things are quite easy, so...  yes...  yes...  perhaps they will go in...

Is 109 days right?  7 in August, 31 in July, 30 in June, 31 in May, and 10 in April (counting this one).  And it's all building up for a buggy crap-thing which will improve over time!

[ April 22, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #575 on: April 22, 2006, 04:27:00 am »

It's a good thing I have aligned my inner planets with my external chi, combined with a living in hamburger/cocacola stricken poverty while working for aliens on supressing the USA's effort to create the war hamster to conquer antarticta.

This, as a side effect, has given me unlimited patience.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go get this *picks up a big steel club* Bat of Motivation and get people to send B12 money  :)

« Reply #576 on: April 22, 2006, 04:28:00 am »

YES! First post on new page! BAH P(specialcharacter that looks like an O with a line through)WNED

DungeonHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://home.arcor.de/dungeonhunter/Screens/
« Reply #577 on: April 26, 2006, 11:14:00 am »

I don't know if there has been talk about it before (I didn't find anything while searching) but I'm wondering to which OSs Dwarf Fortress will be compatible with.

I'm currently planning a rewrite of my game to another language which can compile to other OSs ... it's like 2 years of hard work again, but no I think it won't be to hard. I should have started with C++ in the first place.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 26, 2006, 11:25:00 am »

Initially it'll just run in Windows.  After that, there is somebody possibly working on a port to Linux (via another game I've mostly finished), although mostly animated gifs lately.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 30, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »

Okay, so April 30th begins the 100 day countdown I guess, in terms of "100 days left", with August 7th as "1 day left".  Gezol's 100 day countdown begins on May 7th.

That's kind of a long time, but it's never enough to finish everything.  I've been fixing a lot of bugs, and it has started running more smoothly again.  I have 5 or 6 major issues left to handle there.  Afterward, I'll try to balance my time between making large fortresses easier to play and doing interesting things on the world map.  The interface hasn't quite settled down yet, but I can begin work on documentation as well.  Right now, I let you press "?" any time to get help (or a user-defineable key, which will hopefully let us get passed some of the interface issues that have been troubling LCS users).  The "?" key pops up a manual section that is relevant to the screen you are looking at, and there are little hyperlinks that let you navigate other manual pages (with the keyboard).  There's no mouse support now since I wanted this thing to run in curses, but we can discuss mouse support later (it would be easy to add to the OpenGL version).

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »

Keep up the good work, Toady!

« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:00 am »

Rather than make some sort of speech on how you should keep up the good work, involving the doom of our enemies, and probably qouting Warcraft3 alot, I will just say:
Keep up the good work, Toady.

And yes, I was original, I didn't qoute Zonk  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 06, 2006, 07:00:00 pm »

Is it 94 days now?  It's much nicer counting down days than tasks left, since days decrease in a uniform way, whereas my task lists tend to grow.  Of course, after 94 days, I'll be much older.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 07, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »

I just wanted to note that my hundred day countdown begins today.

One thing you could do that might shrink the task list down some is to just work on all the easiest stuff on there for a week or so. Things like Req39, Req59, Req113, Req152...(I could be wrong about those particular ones being easy, but they look like they probably are.)

Seems like you've been pretty productive lately, though. New industries?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 07, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »

It's basically been like that, but with a bunch of bugs that came out of playtesting that I didn't bother to Req-up since I've been doing them as they come up.

Yeah...  I've split up the furnace into 4 different kinds of furnace...  basically, potash was being used for too many things, so now I've got ash, lye, potash and pearlash (with the associated wood furnace and kiln), and I've separated smelting and glass-making into two furnaces.  Since you can slaughter animals now, you'll also get fat and be able to do things with it (with lye for instance), after the rendering process (which I'm handling in the kitchen rather than a new building).  Potash will also be used as a fertilizer.  I *think* the evaporated lye stage is when you start fertilizing with it...  I couldn't find (and didn't look very hard) for any sources.  It's easy to change if I'm wrong.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57