Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 191254 times)

Fuzzpilz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://asdruihofvnuaeiorsz7iasnodfiaz7sd.com
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #510 on: December 26, 2005, 06:33:00 am »

So would today be Axing Day?

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2005, 08:28:00 am »

But a fat dwarf bringing gifts would be so appropriate!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 26, 2005, 07:05:00 pm »

i think the ten minutes and fifty seven seconds estimate was off, as much as i've clung onto it through sheer denial.

err. i mean...

would the holidays be randomly generated for the dwarves, so that you get the risk of several holidays running back to back and everybody complaining that all the food's ran out, but they won't GATHER any because it's a holiday so they all starve?

would dwarves LIKE getting lumps of coal?

would they potentially train their young to carry out some play against their will on 'special' holidays, despite the children clearly not consenting to being forced into it?

would dwarves drink to excess on these holidays and have hangovers the next day?

is there any chance that you can add a special event where a kobold pirate with two peg-legs and two eye patches tries to sneak into the fortress and steal supplies?

can i get any more unhelpful?

Joe Sixpack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/bndrks/ww1m.html
« Reply #513 on: December 27, 2005, 07:43:00 pm »

Perhaps you could create your own holidays...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 06, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Silleh Boy:
<STRONG>i think the ten minutes and fifty seven seconds estimate was off, as much as i've clung onto it through sheer denial.</STRONG>
Nonsense.  My math was flawless.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2006, 07:08:00 pm »

I am back from the holidays now.  I'm not sure what that means.  Dwarves is still on for August.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 11, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

Still alive! Even if it's months that I don't see anyone on our beloved channel..Anyway, If you are going to release Dwarves to the World on August...that would be a very nice gift for my 18th birthday :-)

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2006, 08:56:00 am »

That's because you always come in early-morning Italian time zonk, which is the middle of night in Texas. Try the evening instead. Though... looking at the logs for what they were talking about last night, it seems most of the time was spent discussing picture.exe brought in by one hot_girl.

X

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »

She could have spelled girl with a u.  Or put two t's on hot.  TT would have liked that.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2006, 03:30:00 am »

A question (maybe answered allready.. but there are so many pages to read)

How do the dwarfs deal with each other ? Let me explain : I had planned a while ago to write a city simulation, with plenty of people who could give you missions...

Every people did behave according to what they know from the world :
-This guy is bad, this one is a friend, this one is an ennemy of my friend, this guy is part of this group. I like that group...
-If I do this, I will earn money, I'have that guy do this, and that guy is rich...
-If I go to that place I can do that

Decisions would have been made according to a  rate of the different option :
-If I do that, I will get that much, but on the other hand, I will make this guy angry, he is very agressive and has many close friends thta I know are dangerous. On the other hand, myself I good too, And I really hate him. SO I would'nt bother do something bad to him.
-I can do this, it is less money, but less trouble

The option with the best rate is executed.

So, all behaviour is ruled according to these basic items of knowledge, that are mixed together, evaluated.

When character meet, they exchange knwoledge (according to their relation ship and trust they have toward each other)

What is interesting, is that they don't necessaringly behave according to what IS, but what they BELIEVE is. So there is room for lies, rumors.

The relationships between groups can evolve (I don't touch that man, because he as plenty of friends. Hey wait a minute ! This group is not any more so god friend with him. Hmm Maybe it is time for me to slap him !!)

Is there anything like this in the dwarf forteress ?
Are these thought of any interess to you ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2006, 03:54:00 am »

There isn't that much power-playing going on in dwarves.  That's more along the lines of how I was going to handle people in Armok, or something with more of an RPG feel.  The new Elder Scrolls claims to have something like this, although I don't know how in-depth it is.  The dwarves do have a lot of petty crap they worry about, like whose room is better and so on, but they don't think out complicated plans of action for how to change their status.  Your enemies do think about what they are doing and so on, but it isn't so elaborate.

You should write your game.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

Yep.

In the one hand, I designed it a few years ago, and I have much more experience now.
On the other hand, I was uneployed, which is not true anymore...

But, re-writing something about it made revive it a bit...

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2006, 04:39:00 am »

Now something I would *really* like to see is an dwarves rpg game. Give the building task to an AI and then play a dwarf who is allowed to do any job in exchange for some money  :)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2006, 05:15:00 am »

An other interesting (?) stuff from an other game I have never done.

For background : There a big city, made of caves and buildings. You play a group of people living as parasites in the city (you steal, and try not to be discovered. If you grow too big, you must not destabilize to much your host city. If it is threatened you must also try to protect it).

The interesting stuff : I have wondered how we should deal with the group. I wanted to emphasize on the fact that your people did NEED the group to survive.
Basicaly, when you decide to control one character (or a group of character which are close one to the other), if this character is cut from the rest of the group, you can't go back to control the other. Imagine this character is capturer and sent to a jail very far away, you can't take control of the other character to come and save him. You'll have to escape yourself, and find your wau to come back home.

The rest of you characters would have keeped leaving by themselves. If the kidnapped character was important, maybe a party would have been made to bring him back.

Eventually, if you want to extend your area of control of character (Which means, area from which you can switch from one character to the other) you can build a tower outised (your sight is much further so you keep seeing that hunter who is far away, a semaphore up a hill to control character who are much further away, or build a system of mirrors in the cave)

To make it even more subtile you can go further :
A semaphore is big, and can be seen all around (except some deep valley, or behind a montain). You can take control of any character seing that sempahore.

But once you control that character, your character who might be lost in the forest can not be seen by the sempahore : You can not go back to control the city around the semaphore. If you want to go back to the city, the character far in the forest must either come back, or for exemple make a fire to be seen from the semaphore.

So to extent you empire, a good network is important, but you can still send parties far away wondering how would your home have evolved when you come back.

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2006, 09:02:00 am »

What is going on, anything new, anything old? anything not meant for mortal men!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57