Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Elves only sell crippled, retarded animals now.  (Read 884 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Elves only sell crippled, retarded animals now.
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:41:11 pm »

I happened to mouse over a grizzly the elves sold to me, lungs, guts, upper and lower spine, heart, brains and neck are all brown. I mouse over a cougar, exact same injuries, exact same colour. I mouse over every animal they sold me, one by one and yes, as far as I can see they are all crippled in exactly the same way with exactly the same amount of damage. None of these animals have been in a fight, and even if they had, each and every one of them taking all those exact same injuries is kinda not very likely. I'll save scum when the next caravan turns up, buy some critters, see what condition they are outta the cages.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:43:21 pm by King Doom »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Elves only sell crippled, retarded animals now.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:48:45 pm »

this was happening before, i'm not sure the reason it happens, i always assumed it had to do with taking them out of their natural habitat, or not being able to eat their normal food.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:57:21 pm »

I don't think it's supposed to happen - it hasn't affected the offspring of the animals, and there's a forest biome across about a third of my map anyway, so it isn't like they are in a totally alien environment.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:05:22 pm »

I think others have had this problem in previous versions. Something about them being in a climate with temperatures in too much of an extreme for them, thus giving them damage.

That or Elves are a mafia-type race-wide organization that wants a monopoly on trees.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:14:37 pm »

Yeah, that seems like it could be it - I checked a few other animals, and they have varying degrees of damage as well, in the same locations. I suppose my question becomes how do I edit this out?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:07 pm »

Turn off temperatures?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »

Ah, that makes sense, but I was expecting to have to edit a bunch of stuff. Thanks!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:03:28 pm »

How odd... I have the same problem. However, it wasn't an environmental problem (as I can tell). The animals I started with have no problems health-wise, yet these new animals have all these internal damage. Some of them have healed, but the Elves are sicked, twisted freaks.

The Elves must think it's hilarious to beat animals before they're traded... Or to

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 01:58:35 pm »

How odd... I have the same problem. However, it wasn't an environmental problem (as I can tell). The animals I started with have no problems health-wise, yet these new animals have all these internal damage. Some of them have healed, but the Elves are sicked, twisted freaks.

The Elves must think it's hilarious to beat animals before they're traded... Or to

go on, say it!

I've noticed similar behavior with my elves.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.