Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll  (Read 65901 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2008, 12:14:29 pm »

Waterwheels, mayhaps? Set up a perpetual motion machine with some water, it fits Cog's crazy schemes after all.
Good idea! I've played through winter already, but I'll play around a bit with it, thanks for the advice.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2008, 06:38:32 pm »

Just thought that I'd pop in to say that I approve of this thread most thoroughly. Nice illustrations, they really do add a lot to the story.

Also, Boksi: you see any Frungy matches lately? I missed the championships.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008, 11:44:57 pm »

Yes, it's Icelandic. And I suggest pumping the magma up from the lowest part of the pipe.
The biggest problem there is that machinery seems to freeze. When I tried building a windmill, it did produce 20 units of power, but no machinery I attached to it worked. The windmill said "frozen here" and the gear assemblies said "frozen elsewhere". If I were to pump from the lowest level, that would require 15 dwarves actually managing to pump simultaneously :D

You have to cover the windmills, with floors above them.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Ibrukromlam Oth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2008, 06:30:20 pm »

Just thought that I'd pop in to say that I approve of this thread most thoroughly. Nice illustrations, they really do add a lot to the story.

Also, Boksi: you see any Frungy matches lately? I missed the championships.
Don't want to be rude, but I'd like to know as well, seeing how occupied I was trying to show my dwarves how to find the hot light in the darkness.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2008, 11:50:24 pm »

Some hilarious stuff here, keep it coming.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:51 pm »

Off-topic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On-topic: I'm still waiting for your first siege. I wonder how well that will go. Also... is your bridge hooked up to a lever, or can you not seal your fortress? Personally, I don't make my fortress seal-able anymore, as it's not nearly as Fun.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 05:56:10 pm »

On-topic: I'm still waiting for your first siege. I wonder how well that will go. Also... is your bridge hooked up to a lever, or can you not seal your fortress? Personally, I don't make my fortress seal-able anymore, as it's not nearly as Fun.
Yes, the bridge is hooked up to a lever in the dining room. I rarely seal off my fortresses neither, it's just in extreme cases, otherwise I like to see how much Fun my soldiers can take :)

Oh by the way, special thanks to Ragathol for the illustration this time!

Winter as told by Logem Luslemudib, swordsdwarf

10th Moonstone

Mûthkat suddenly lost it today in the statue garden. She started screaming about "The man won't let me make armor out of silver! Fuck the system! Fuck the man! I won't surrender to a system based on exploitation of the peasants for the benefit of a small elite! Deregulate this, suckers!", at which point she locked herself in the magma forge with some silver, a bit of leather and a lot of bitterness. I don't know if this is a good thing.

21st Moonstone

The chained war dog started barking in panic today, and suddenly we were aware of a half-dozen goblins just outside. Kogan quickly led us outside to deal with it, but it wasn't until we reached the dog that we saw the most terrifying sight - a goblin crossbowman!

They were quickly torn apart, but not before Dumat and Minkot had been filled with bolts. This has been a terrible loss to us, and this day will forever be remembered as the day when innocent blood was spilled for nothing except evil and greed. By all of us. Except Kogan of course.

She will always remember this as "The day I got to chop five heads off!" Some consider it vital that Kogan always manages to keep her spirits up in the face of anything. Personally, it creeps me the fuck out. We've given her a suitable name as a way to honor her and, most importantly, to warn anyone who gets close.

25th Moonstone

Mûthkat finished today. She came out with the finest chainmail I've ever seen. It's so fine, in fact, that noone in the army dares to use it, not even Kogan. She also says that making a silver armor is a once in a lifetime accomplishment, and even though she got extremely skilled in the process, she still has nothing to work with.

5th Opal

Since the goblin assault, Tulon and two guards have used up all the water that was left. We're working on making another water room, but if this keeps up, we will never be able to satisfy the thirst of our wounded unless we come up with something completely different.

27th Opal

The water is already running out. This is a disaster, but Cog says that she has a plan that will allow us to create immense amounts of water. I overheard her talking with Deduk the other day, Deduk seemed troubled and even more so when she screamed "Fuck physics, we're dwarves!"

I want to get out of here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:27:00 pm by Vaftrudner »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »

Did you read my bit about the windmills? =/
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »

Did you read my bit about the windmills? =/
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to reply. When I read Boksi's suggestion, I'd already played this update, and when I read yours, I'd already played half a year working on different designs that I was quite happy with. Thanks for the suggestion, but even if I got windmills working, they would simply take too much wood, since one can only power a pump and two gear assemblies by itself. I need to pump magma from the depths to get enough. Perpetual motion devices are of course very gamey, but until Toady allows the dwarves to simply take a bucket of snow and put it next to the forge, I'm willing to bend the rules a bit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 02:33:06 am »

MOAR! FUCK REASONING! WE'RE DWARVES!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 04:30:25 am »

This is... just so... wonderful.

I can't wait to read more.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

Fantastic illustration in this update. Try to keep him\her on the team.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 08:51:09 am »

Cog: Who is this Euclid fellow, and why does he keep trying to contradict me?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2008, 03:01:55 pm »

MOAR! FUCK REASONING! WE'RE DWARVES!

Heeeeey.

This post has content!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2008, 03:22:38 pm »

Oh my....

Cog just makes my day.

I squeeked when I read the "fuck physics, we're dwarves!"  Bit...

I never squeek.  EVER.   People are staring at my like I'm crazy.   Course, the too loud laughter AFTER the squeek isn't helping.

You, are too funny.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8