Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll  (Read 65871 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Zombie Troll
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2008, 05:12:27 pm »

MOAR! FUCK REASONING! WE'RE DWARVES!

Heeeeey.

This post has content!

what? explain!
i meant to continue posting when i said what i did btw

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:17 pm »

I'll explain so long as nobody else continues to divert us from praising the fellow whose thread this is.

I responded to his saying FUCK REASONING because I am called Reasonableman, and it seemed like it may have been an insult directed at me. Possibly. I then covered the fact that my entire post was a single word with meaningless filler.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »

Cog: Who is this Euclid fellow, and why does he keep trying to contradict me?
That's the guy with bad breath and horrible skin that Cog used to beat with a ruler back in physics class. Bloody teacher's pet. No vision!

Fantastic illustration in this update. Try to keep him\her on the team.
Unfortunately, the lad who made that picture is a professional cartoonist, and I don't know how much time he has to waste. Unlike me and Heffa who live solely on leeching off the Swedish government.

I never squeek.  EVER.   People are staring at my like I'm crazy.   Course, the too loud laughter AFTER the squeek isn't helping.
This is a good thing!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2008, 01:19:59 am »

I'll explain so long as nobody else continues to divert us from praising the fellow whose thread this is.

I responded to his saying FUCK REASONING because I am called Reasonableman, and it seemed like it may have been an insult directed at me. Possibly. I then covered the fact that my entire post was a single word with meaningless filler.

ooooooooh

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2008, 04:41:26 am »

Year four, according to Mûthkat Ardesbomrek, suddenly the best damn armorer in this civilization for some fucking reason noone really understands but hey, whatever, it's not like I've worked all my life to improve the quality of my work until she suddenly swept in with her silver and took over, I hope her children get eaten by groundhogs the fu- oh right

The winter of 53 ended in disaster. While Cog was rushing around giving digging orders and demanding silver corkscrews, we lost three to horrible, sober deaths. The others were ordered to stand on duty indefinitely, to avoid further sparring accidents. Of course, the guards can't muster up half a brain between them and went on as usual, with completely obvious results.

By spring we had our first prototype of the perpetuum mobile up and running. The plan was rather simple, as can be expected from a cognitive trainwreck like Cog.

Some magma was pumped up into a pocket just beneath the glacier, with enough heat to make the melted ice run into a water deposit in the relatively warm mountain. On top of that, a waterwheel was built and connected to a screw pump. The screw pump created a flow that actually managed to drive both the waterwheel and the pump itself, with excess energy to spare! This of course defies all science as we know it, and I hear that it created quite the stir in the mountainhome.

Since my mood, everyone's doing it. Fuck them, I was there before it was mainstream. Back when I was young, we had to crawl five miles through a snowstorm to get a turtle shell, up-hill both ways, naked with troglodytes eating us alive and with no feet nor hands.

Although one has to give him credit for managing to carve out an entire trap from a gem as large as my thumbnail.

Our prayers were answered at the end of spring, when the miners found copper in the soon-to-be-magma room. It enables me to finally start making some real armor. Of course, to balance everything out, our worst nightmares came true when the mountainhome sent an immigration party led by a noble.

Stukos, they call him. Famous for making the crappiest fucking metal mugs in the known universe, and known for spending way too much time with animals that could potentially eat his family in their sleep. In his ordinary amiable way he greeted us all with a friendly "WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY ROOMS?"

As summer came around, we ran out of wood. The elves brought a small supply, but not enough to build axles all the way to the magma pipe, so with nothing else to do, we actually made some rooms for Stukos.

He finally stopped kicking babies down stairs.

The humans came around with wagonloads of wood, probably saving our lives, and the rest of summer was spent building pumps and axles, with only two major interruptions.

The first one was handled so well by Kogan that she was declared good enough to actually use my silver armor.

The other one turned Reg into a hero.

Together with Atír, he's turning our piles of worthless silver into the stuff of legends.

Now, the perpetual motion device had several problems. The first one was that the flow of water was too uneven. It turned out that with the ambitious magma pumping Cog had in mind, we needed no less than 300 power. The water flow created by the screw pump only managed to create the right flow for three water wheels to be powered simultaneously about 50% of the time, and thus it was impossible to make the wheels power the pump. So the pump was eventually moved to the side to be handled manually. It's no longer a perpetual motion device, but it's still a fucking beast.

As autumn came around, the liaison arrived to find Cog maniacally manhandling the pump, screaming with joy. It actually worked. It actually worked. Thirty logs worth of axles, more silver corkscrews than I want to count and only a puddle of water combined with a woman too stupid to see how fucked up her ideas are. That's all you need to pump magma from the depths of the mountain up to an unsuspecting, innocent glacier.

I don't want to, but I love her.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2008, 04:58:15 am »

lol physics.

I need to work on my perpetual motion machine.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2008, 08:21:23 pm »

this is absolutely fucking hilarious. why does all the best DF stories take place in a glacier?

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:05 pm »

this is absolutely fucking hilarious. why does all the best DF stories take place in a glacier?
*ahem*

Boatmurdered did not.

However, I do know of two exceptional stories that do take place on a glacier: Nist Akath, and this.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:06 pm »

I disagree. I say that many good, current and previous stories do take place in a glacier, but all of them? Nay. Nay, I say. There are legends that we dwarves have, and we shall not forget them, lest we take in the new and leave out the old. What say ye? Why not just live among nature then, while we're at it? Maybe then you'll appreciate our stories, our ancestry! You sir, disgust me.

On a more related note, excellent job on the story. I really enjoy reading it.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51:28 pm »

I got compared to Nist Akath! I'm gonna let everyone know at the next pub I go to. I'll never sleep alone again :)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2008, 10:22:46 pm »

Hmm... Cog needs destroy more 'science'.  What will she think of when this water starts to run low?  Maybe she'll pump the magma out then back in to try again?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2008, 04:28:14 am »

Presumably she's going to destroy gravity next.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2008, 07:19:07 am »

Presumably she's going to destroy gravity next.
It can be done! Someone managed to make ice blocks float up, but I forget the thread.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2008, 08:33:24 am »

My guess would be cold fusion.

Cog: Moar ice blocks!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2008, 09:00:15 am »

Poor Urist McWrong.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8