Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Creatures moved by liquid flow through fortifications/vertical bars  (Read 851 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use pumps quite a lot, and I noticed that water/magma flow can make creatures pass through tiles that are normaly permitted for water, but forbidden for the creatures (fortifications, bars ..).
For example, I had a magma pool on one side of a fortification, then a short short tunnel with a pump on the other side of the fortification. The pump sucked the magma from the corridor, drawing magma from the pool through the corridor, and a fire imp was sucked along, ending up in the corridor. Fortunately, I had a floor grate blocking the access to the pump.
Another time, a goblin was pushed through vertical bars by water.
I haven't seen it happen with wall grates, but I never use them anyway.

Bizarely, creatures are not pushed through floor grates. It seems they can be moved only on the same z-level, not vertically.

Has someone ever experienced the same thing? With creatures or items ?

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Creatures moved by liquid flow through fortifications/vertical bars
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:03:58 am »

It's possible this is "not a bug" but I'm not sure - I remember hearing that creatures could move through pumps before, not sure if that's intended behaviour though. Also, goblins have the "narrow" body type (at least if the number of "narrow rhesus macaque leather vest"s lying around after a siege is any indication) and so they may be thin enough to go through the spacing between the vertical bars.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:57:52 am »

Wouldn't that imply that goblins could walk through fortifications?

Possibly, the force of the pump sends them through the bars? Not likely, but maybe.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »

I think that pumps contain the mystical power to line object's atoms up just right so that they go straight through the bars and fortifications. Normally you would have to wait for trillions of years for this to happen, but they must supercharge the water. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:31:38 pm »

Also, goblins have the "narrow" body type (at least if the number of "narrow rhesus macaque leather vest"s lying around after a siege is any indication) and so they may be thin enough to go through the spacing between the vertical bars.

Goblins don't have [NARROW]. Dwarves have [STOUT]. That's why goblin clothes are 'narrow' to dwarves. Elves have [NARROW] though.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:09 am »

Also, goblins have the "narrow" body type (at least if the number of "narrow rhesus macaque leather vest"s lying around after a siege is any indication) and so they may be thin enough to go through the spacing between the vertical bars.

Goblins don't have [NARROW]. Dwarves have [STOUT]. That's why goblin clothes are 'narrow' to dwarves. Elves have [NARROW] though.

No, I'm pretty sure it's [PIN_HEAD].

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:39 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure it's [PIN_HEAD].

Wait you're right, and dwarves have [BLOCK_HEAD], goblins have [BONE_HEAD] and humans have [AIR_HEAD]. Fascinating.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.