Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Temperate vs. Tropical biomes?  (Read 9027 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temperate vs. Tropical biomes?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 01:50:58 am »

Argh?
I reclaim, and then... THe wagon self-destructed, and then all is lost.

What is homeoterm? I modded it to 20000, but isn't that makes dwarves immune to heat?

Edit: Yeah, it is homotherm fault. Now it is OK. Still, it is funny to see your dwarves explode, literally. If you get the [severonbreak]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:10:22 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 08:48:40 am »

Also, I'm definitely going to take a look at that mountain. Good job finding it.

Look around the big tundra in the southern part of the map, I want to say fairly far south (but not ALL the way down, it's in the middle of tundra) and slightly east of the middle.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:52 pm »

Agh! I'm trying to replicate the sort of world you've made but have no idea how to do it.

I've tried messing with the x-variance/meshes on temperature and everything, but tropics never seem to be created, and I can't seem to get the same sort of weird temperature distribution you get within regions. Any ideas?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »

I'm not sure. I ignore meshes, usually, but increasing variance might help you get a crazy map. If you want something cool, set the percent of megabeasts dead for stoppage at 1, and the year to begin checking at 10000. The world will run out all the way to the year 10000. I made a world for another thread like that, the world went from "The Age of Hydra and Demon" to "The Age of Usmza Heatmenace" around 300 and stayed in it for the rest of the world generation.

By the way, you did set the minimum and maximum temperatures, right? I know you did, but I just have to ask to make sure.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 09:34:04 am »

Oh, here was the problem: I was originally asking for tropics on a Medium (standard size) map, and yours was a Large map.

When I tried on a Large map by messing with temp min/max values, it works fine.

Setting all the variances to really high amounts does add to the insanity, as well.

Also, if you mess with meshes and variances too much, you get something a bit different: The way we're doing it (such as in your world), the temperature transitions are at least somewhat smooth, whereas if you mess with that stuff too much, you get stuff like a freezing glacier and a SCORCHING forest on the same map; biome/region transitions end up having extreme temperature transitions with them. Immediate ones. Could be interesting.

Oh, and if you mess with variances and mesh sizes/weights a lot, you end up with a lot of subregions, since you end up with a lot of small biome areas, so you might have to increase the max number.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »

Okay, I managed to create a world with a site I like: A terrifying (!?!?!?!), freezing tropical moist broadleaf forest, savage (untamed wilds) glacier and tundra, and a magma pipe.

God help us all. Here are the parameters:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world is strange, and has lots of clustered volcanoes, caves, and odd elevations/temperatures/everything. Some good civilizations; these parameters make a lot of forests/plains areas for elves and humans to fight it out, and just enough mountains to get at least some dwarves. I made sure the parameters allow for just about every type of biome and such, and is heavily waited towards what I'll call "weird shit". I had to bump max subregion count up to maximum because of how variable all the geographical details are.

The embark location I was talking about is in the southwest; look for a single glacier tile in a big evil (should appear grey/red?) forest. Also, if you look at the north end of the glacier instead, you can get an embark site with mountain features (I think I saw a couple magma features, a cave, and a chasm?), while retaining some of the ones I was just talking about. And the mountain is good+savage, which is pretty interesting I guess, especially if you've also got the terrifying forest in there.

Also, if you aren't looking for that type of site at all, the world might still be interesting, since it has a bit of everything, usually five feet away from everything else.

Warning: I haven't embarked yet, so I have no idea if everybody will freeze to death immediately upon going to that area. But it's near ENOUGH to some plain old "Cold" areas, so I doubt it's that bad.

[EDIT]
Don't be fooled. Those params/seeds will cause two or three rejects before making the actual world; it's normal.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:14:09 pm by G-Flex »
Pages: 1 2 [3]