Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man  (Read 13401 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 10:06:30 am »

exactly, moral elitism.

You bitch at other people because they do not share your ethical viewpoints.
How dare you put yourself above someone just because he dares to has his own fricking mind ?

Hey, you dislike death penalty, and I accept that. Go and be against it.
But the moment you use your morality and other peoples morality as a measurement of human worth, you are crossing a line.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:36 am »

exactly, moral elitism.

How dare you put yourself above someone just because he dares to has his own fricking mind ?

But the moment you use your morality and other peoples morality as a measurement of human worth, you are crossing a line.
I never said they were worthless or of lower value. If they were I wouldn't have responded to them or tried to convince some of them that it is wrong.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:10:40 am by Thunderwoot »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:13 am »

I have lots of empathy, hey, I just spend 2 hours preparing food for a birthday party of a friend. I know that these two hours will not only make him smile, but will also supply all of his friends with awesome food, making his birthday party not only a blast, but making his day a bit brighter.

So you'd rather make a birthday cake than possibly help save a man's life? That's nice.

Do you think people should stop donating blood because the person who will likely get it is a stranger and thus not worthy of caring about?

We live in a society. A society has to work together for the betterment of itself. Sometimes you have to help strangers. Sometimes you have to stand up for other people's rights because next time it might be you sitting on death row for a crime you may not have commited.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:16:38 am by Wiles »

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 10:14:37 am »

I have lots of empathy, hey, I just spend 2 hours preparing food for a birthday party of a friend. I know that these two hours will not only make him smile, but will also supply all of his friends with awesome food, making his birthday party not only a blast, but making his day a bit brighter.

So you'd rather make a birthday cake than possibly help save a man's life? That's nice.

Do you think people should stop donating blood because the person who will likely get it is a stranger and thus not worthy of caring about?

We live in a society. A society has to work together from the betterment of itself. Sometimes you have to help strangers. Sometimes you have to stand up for other people's rights because next time it might be you sitting on death row for a crime you may not of commited.
this is about what i was trying to say but couldn't find the right words for it I think. thank you

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:38 am »

Oh dear, an argument. And it's over the internet.

Neither side is willing to budge either. Come to think of it, I never shed a single tear because of 9/11 so I'm probably on Akroma's side. Heck, all 9/11 did was annoy me because of the massive fuss kicked up by people, even those who didn't even know anybody who lived there and had never even known those towers existed before. Terrorism is all about causing terror so they achieved that goal alright. I still dislike the death penalty and prefer life sentences. Yes, they're pretty much the same, but life sentences mean a chance of parole and if not, they are worse than death penalty. Nobody said penalties had to be nice, but they could at least give you a small margin of error.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:28 am »

exactly, moral elitism.

ah just found some of the right words. How could I think that some lives are worth less than others and still be anti-death penalty? A criminal life is worth just the same as a regular mans life and we should try to preserve that life and rehabilitate the criminal.

Edit: on the other hand, some criminals are irreparably broken people. I think that those are the ones who should be given the life sentence to keep them from harming themselves or others and also keep them in relative comfort.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:24:30 am by Thunderwoot »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:17 am »

Well, I do not think we live in a society of actual human beings at least. The ones we recognize as actual persons are a very limited number, the rest are faceless stereotypes. That is why people think politicians do not care about what you want.

Do YOU care about what the politician wants ?
Of course not, how should you know what the politician actually wants ?
Vice versa, how should he know what you want, or what the other 7836876438 people who voted for him want ?

If there is anything like a society, it is anonymous. Time spent to make a cake for your friends is infinitly better used than the time you spent putting random data into a pre-made set of fields.

If you are not going to shed a tear for a person, the only reason you are helping him is "just because".

for further information on my viewpoint on society, please read this text before answering, because it saves me the time to type thousands and thousands of words here into this small white square.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:49 am »

Well, I do not think we live in a society of actual human beings at least. The ones we recognize as actual persons are a very limited number, the rest are faceless stereotypes. That is why people think politicians do not care about what you want.

Do YOU care about what the politician wants ?
Of course not, how should you know what the politician actually wants ?
Vice versa, how should he know what you want, or what the other 7836876438 people who voted for him want ?

If there is anything like a society, it is anonymous. Time spent to make a cake for your friends is infinitly better used than the time you spent putting random data into a pre-made set of fields.

If you are not going to shed a tear for a person, the only reason you are helping him is "just because".

for further information on my viewpoint on society, please read this text before answering, because it saves me the time to type thousands and thousands of words here into this small white square.
the reason i am helping him is because it is right. the reason i cannot shed tears is because there aren't enough tears

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 10:32:44 am »

and the reason why you only spent 3 minutes filling out a pre-made set of questions is because deep down, you do not want to waste effort on a stranger

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 10:37:26 am »

and the reason why you only spent 3 minutes filling out a pre-made set of questions is because deep down, you do not want to waste effort on a stranger
if i lived in georgia i would be out protesting

edit: here, you obviously missed the point of that post. I cannot shed enough tears because I would never get anything done. I can't drive to every protest and try to stop every death because i can't drive long enough. so I do what i can.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:43:20 am by Thunderwoot »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:53 am »

empty claim, cannot be proven

as of now, it is merely a convenient way to try and "disprove" my claim.

Sure, of course, if you lived there, you would be protesting. And if i lived on moon, I'd be mining cheese.

Edit: I was not refering to actual tears. I was refering to the pain we feel when someone we know dies. You wouldn't feel anything close to it. You might feel sad, but that is because you failed at something. It's the same way you feel sad when you lose at volleyball.

Famous news talking guy Tim Russert tells a charming story about his father, in his book Big Russ and Me (the title referring to his on-and-off romance with actor Russell Crowe). Russert's dad used to take half an hour to carefully box up any broken glass before taking it to the trash. Why? Because "The trash guy might cut his hands."

That this was such an unusual thing to do illustrates my monkey point. None of us spend much time worrying about the garbage man's welfare even though he performs a crucial role in not forcing us to live in a cave carved from a mountain of our own filth. We don't usually consider his safety or comfort at all and if we do, it's not in the same way we would worry over our best friend or wife or girlfriend or even our dog.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:46:49 am by Akroma »

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 10:47:01 am »

empty claim, cannot be proven

as of now, it is merely a convenient way to try and "disprove" my claim.

Sure, of course, if you lived there, you would be protesting. And if i lived on moon, I'd be mining cheese.

Edit: I was not refering to actual tears. I was refering to the pain we feel when someone we know dies. You wouldn't feel anything close to it. You might feel sad, but that is because you failed at something. It's the same way you feel sad when you lose at volleyball.
and if i felt that pain for every single death, what then? I would be an insane bundle of depression and anger.

edit: hold on, misread that post

edit2: no wait i think the above works actually
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:50:01 am by Thunderwoot »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 10:48:42 am »

I still would rather not have anyone die. It is a waste of human resources, and if he is innocent then that implies that a murderer walks among us. Small actions can have adverse effects, and people who spend time in jail can change.

I know a guy who has been to jail for hacking into bank accounts, he was even on the FBI's most wanted list at one point. Right now he is helping his mother run a weight loss website. In a way, you can say he is saving other people's lives.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:38 am »

You're right in saying that I wouldn't shed a tear for a stranger. It's true that I care about the people I have an emotional attachment with more. However, I do care about what happens to people I don't know. Just not in the same way.

We are part of a whole. By caring and helping other people you are in turn helping yourself and your friends.

If you need a blood transfusion, you are getting blood from a stranger who cared enough to help others. If you fall and break your leg in the woods, would you be upset that a stranger decided to ignore you because he doesn't know you? I know these are extreme examples, but I'm trying to illustrate a point. It's not just about caring. You are helping yourself when you help others. You are helping your friends when you do something for a stranger.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 10:56:10 am »

this thread is over. what we tried to get done got done whether we helped or not and akroma is obviously going to keep saying we shouldn't be helping people because we don't care enough or whatever he is trying to get at. Is there a way to close this thread?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6