Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man  (Read 13436 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »

Meh, what ever you say, the death penalty is a very ethical way of dealing with guilty criminals. It saves the millions taxpayers pay for keeping a person in for 50 years. Recently it was estimated that it costs about £1000 a week per criminal to keep them in jail. (This figure may be wrong, but its still alot no matter what anyone says). It also reducing the worlds population, even by one, to save resources in the long run.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 04:10:40 pm »

It saves the millions taxpayers pay for keeping a person in for 50 years. Recently it was estimated that it costs about £1000 a week per criminal to keep them in jail.

It costs more to use the death penalty.  More trials, more jurors, sequestering the jurors, many, many appeals, there are a lot of factors that make the cost greater, and then add to all of those the fact that chances are, they'll never even get around to executing the guy.

It also reducing the worlds population, even by one, to save resources in the long run.

That's absurd.  There are approaching seven billion people in the world, killing one hoodlum or sociopath isn't going to fix anything.  If he's in prison for the rest of his life, he can at least pay some of his debt to society, by cleaning up highways, making license plates, and all of the other stereotypical things inmates do.  I don't know about license plates, but I've seen inmates doing community service projects quite a few times.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »

It costs more to use the death penalty.  More trials, more jurors, sequestering the jurors, many, many appeals, there are a lot of factors that make the cost greater, and then add to all of those the fact that chances are, they'll never even get around to executing the guy.

That's mostly why I'm an advocate of a newly reformed Justice system, where currently the Guilty are in trial for tens of years and the innocent are killed in life setences.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 11:31:28 pm »

Just an FYI, unless the sentence has a without a possibility of parole clause, at most all you will spend in prison is about 25 years before being released on parole (which does last for the rest of your life), so life imprisonment/=imprisonment for life.  In the US that is.

I would be for the Death Penalty if it really served any other purpose than to make some people fell better.  As it is, putting people to death is more about revenge than justice.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 11:40:24 pm »

I believe that the death penalty should replace life in prison.
Life in prison is basically the same thing as the death penalty, only it takes longer and we have to feed them with our tax money.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:36 am »

Life in prison is basically the same thing as the death penalty, only it takes longer and we have to feed them with our tax money.
It saves the millions taxpayers pay for keeping a person in for 50 years. Recently it was estimated that it costs about £1000 a week per criminal to keep them in jail.

also, the death penalty is state sponsored murder and if you think for one second that slightly smaller taxes would justify that then you are a sociopath.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:03 am »

also, the death penalty is state sponsored murder and if you think for one second that slightly smaller taxes would justify that then you are a sociopath.

Erm... I think you are in the wrong forum. Didn't you know that this place is filled with sociopaths? Have you even played Dwarf Fortress? It is the most sociopathic game ever.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:40 am »

Everyone thinks the death penalty is a good idea until it's them that's facing it.

Here's a question. Suppose that the death penalty becomes super commonplace, as in the most common form of punishment is death. Jaywalking, mandatory death penalty. Littering, mandatory death penalty. Typing like an idiot, mandatory death penalty. Let's ignore how this is even possible and just say that this system of mandatory execution for everything (even accidental peeing on toilet seats) has been in place for 200 years.

What on EARTH would society be like in such a world? Would everyone not give a damn? Would everyone be robots? Would everyone be dead?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 06:07:47 am »

No. Everyone would be rebels. Ya. They will be.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 06:19:31 am »

Everyone thinks the death penalty is a good idea until it's them that's facing it.

Here's a question. Suppose that the death penalty becomes super commonplace, as in the most common form of punishment is death. Jaywalking, mandatory death penalty. Littering, mandatory death penalty. Typing like an idiot, mandatory death penalty. Let's ignore how this is even possible and just say that this system of mandatory execution for everything (even accidental peeing on toilet seats) has been in place for 200 years.

What on EARTH would society be like in such a world? Would everyone not give a damn? Would everyone be robots? Would everyone be dead?

Well, thats just rediculous. I'd be dead so it wouldn't really matter in 200 years. I think capital punishment should only be used in the most extreme circumstances, a murder for example. An eye for an eye as they say. Or maybe, making them work then killing them... That'll pay their debt back to society.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:16 am »

Well, thats just rediculous. I'd be dead so it wouldn't really matter in 200 years. I think capital punishment should only be used in the most extreme circumstances, a murder for example. An eye for an eye as they say. Or maybe, making them work then killing them... That'll pay their debt back to society.
an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. the justice system isn't about revenge for the people the criminal wronged.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 11:02:12 am »

the execution date is set for 7 PM tonight. looks like we didn't accomplish shit but thanks to those who tried

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 06:45:35 pm »

the execution date is set for 7 PM tonight. looks like we didn't accomplish shit but thanks to those who tried
haha yes the execution is stayed booya thanks again to everyone who helped out we may have helped save a mans life

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 07:35:11 pm »

By your standards so is life in prison. (Also you shouldn't triple post.)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »

This topic has given me an extraordinarily tasteless idea:

Roll To Dodge: Help Stop Georgia From Executing an Innocent Man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6