Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man  (Read 13402 times)

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:24:52 am »

http://www.amnestyusa.org/troydavis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Anthony_Davis

Georgia is going to execute this guy based on eyewitness testimony from 9 people, 7 of which recanted. There was no physical evidence whatsoever- no gun, no prints, nothing.

He is scheduled to be executed on September 23d, this coming Tuesday.

Follow that Amnesty International link to get a form-generated fax. It goes to the Georgia Board of Pardon and Paroles, who has the power to stay the execution up until the moment it happens.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:27 am »

Hmm. 

The Judicial System is executing an innocent man for killing another member of the Judicial System, who happens to be named McPhail.

There's some cosmic lulz in there, but it's too early for me to find them.
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:23:25 am »

this collection of signatures has no judical power at all.

However it gives me some kind of sadistic kick to deny a signature that could save the life of someone innocent, so I am not going to sign.

Also hey, think about it, what is more merciful ?
A swift death, or spending your entire life in a prison where soon your front theeth will be missing because you happen to be the submissive ?

A life sentence is nothing but a death sentence. Death by aging.
With a proper death sentence he will at least not have to suffer for years.

Keep in mind that, if he is relieved from death, he is still deemed as "guilty" and will receive the next highest punishment, which is a life sentence.

Anyone who honestly believes they are saving this guy is not objective.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:29:52 am »

Execution's tomorrow.

He's boned.
Shoes...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:54:45 am »

The problem is that many people on deaths row can be innocent, but a death sentence gives only a two weeks grace or so, and it is pretty extreme to go this far based on the evidence. I blame the jury.

A life sentence offers something that a death sentence does not, hope. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time that a decision has been reversed.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:18 am »

The Judicial System is executing an innocent man for killing another member of the Judicial System, who happens to be named McPhail.

That horribly funny, right there.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:02:30 am »

Hmm, if its death by electrocution then he's in luck. Cause you know how they're supposed to give every man on death row one last wish etc etc. Why not ask for a rubber suit?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:05:17 am »

The thing most people don't seem to realize is that online petitions are useless. When it comes down to it, this is a petition. It won't get anything done. This is why the people who the emails are going to have spam filters.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:19 am »

Hmm, if its death by electrocution then he's in luck. Cause you know how they're supposed to give every man on death row one last wish etc etc. Why not ask for a rubber suit?

This is Georgia.  Think Deliverance.

Edit:  I'm from Georgia, and basically every decent lawmaker has given up hope of saving this man from the broken justice system here.  Hell, In just this county we are trying to fire a judge who made an "unruly" black man get on his knees to show the him respect he felt that all he deserved.  In Twiggs county the sheriff was so corrupt as to become a legendary internet tale.  These people don't care about the truth or justice.  There are unfortunately a large number of people still in power who just want to kill a few niggers
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:51:59 am by Anfold »

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:13 am »

The thing most people don't seem to realize is that online petitions are useless. When it comes down to it, this is a petition. It won't get anything done. This is why the people who the emails are going to have spam filters.
Actually this site faxes them with the thing so they can't spam block it.

this collection of signatures has no judical power at all.

However it gives me some kind of sadistic kick to deny a signature that could save the life of someone innocent, so I am not going to sign.

Also hey, think about it, what is more merciful ?
A swift death, or spending your entire life in a prison where soon your front theeth will be missing because you happen to be the submissive ?

A life sentence is nothing but a death sentence. Death by aging.

Keep in mind that, if he is relieved from death, he is still deemed as "guilty" and will receive the next highest punishment, which is a life sentence.

Anyone who honestly believes they are saving this guy is not objective.

Screw your objectivity, the death penalty is barbaric and should be stopped whenever possible.

This isn't an online petition, you aren't signing anything. You're sending a fax directly to the Georgia Board of Pardon and Paroles asking them to reconsider.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:08:55 am by Thunderwoot »

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:43 am »

ATLANTA, Sept 22, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Attorney Carol Gray, who assisted the Troy Davis defense team by interviewing and taking statements from key witnesses, is urging that Davis' Tuesday 7PM death sentence be stayed to allow time to interview a critical witness to the murder who has never been spoken to by the prosecution or defense.

"But no one has spoken with perhaps the best witness of all: the clerk at the motel across from the Burger King parking lot. According to another witness, the clerk screamed when the shooting happened. Her office had a large window facing the lot, so she likely saw the shooting. There is a way to find her: subpoena the tax records for that motel for the year Officer MacPhail was killed. State and federal tax records for the Thunderbird should have this woman listed as an employee, along with her social security number. She can be located.
latest news

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 03:01:31 pm »

She can be located.

We have the technology.
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 03:14:07 pm »

cough

suddenly an important witness shows up only days before the execution ?

excuse me, but that sounds fishy.

anyway, that is not what i wanted to say.

A death penalty is barbaric ? And what do you call a life sentence ?
Go and get incarcerated with hundreds of violent active aggressive guys that get more and more frustrated every day because, well, they are fuckin incarcerated. It is hell when it lasts 3 months, it is hell when it lasts 3 years, and it will be hell when you are there for 50 years, waiting for your death.

In the end, both convicts are equaly dead, only that one of them died swiftly, while the other has to stand against, what can be called "indirect torture".

What is so barbaric about a death sentence ? The "an eye for an eye" idea ?
Well excuse me, but a life sentence, by deffinition, is a sentence on your life. A sentence that sais, go to prison, and then die there.

a Life sentence IS a death sentence, only with a slow and cruel method.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 03:25:16 pm »

cough

suddenly an important witness shows up only days before the execution ?

excuse me, but that sounds fishy.

anyway, that is not what i wanted to say.

A death penalty is barbaric ? And what do you call a life sentence ?
Go and get incarcerated with hundreds of violent active aggressive guys that get more and more frustrated every day because, well, they are fuckin incarcerated. It is hell when it lasts 3 months, it is hell when it lasts 3 years, and it will be hell when you are there for 50 years, waiting for your death.

In the end, both convicts are equaly dead, only that one of them died swiftly, while the other has to stand against, what can be called "indirect torture".

What is so barbaric about a death sentence ? The "an eye for an eye" idea ?
Well excuse me, but a life sentence, by deffinition, is a sentence on your life. A sentence that sais, go to prison, and then die there.

a Life sentence IS a death sentence, only with a slow and cruel method.
A life sentence is preferable to a death sentence, because the odds against this person being guilty seem pretty slim, as all evidence is testamony, not fact, and nothing physical. A life sentence may have parole, and gives them a chance to have his innocence proven.

Besides, it is also inhumane to the excecutioner, especially if the charges were cleared after the excecution. Psychological trauma to the innocent seems like a horrible trade off here.

The point is that he wasn't given enough time, and he was presumed guilty untill proven innocent, and proven guilty by about two people and nothing else. His sentence should have been delayed untill something more solid is found.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »

Wasn't there a discussion about the death penalty a few months ago?

Anyway, it's debatable whether or not execution is actually fast and painless.  The anesthetic used in lethal injection, sodium thiopental, doesn't last long, it's meant to be used to keep surgical patients under while the slower-acting but longer lasting anesthetics start to work.  In fact, the amount of sodium thiopental used would be considered inhumanely low if it were being used on an animal.  It's very possible that the person only looks peaceful while the poison is killing them, and they're fully conscious, but completely paralyzed.  If I were some thug straight out of the ghetto, I'd take a prison sentence with other thugs before I'd risk an agonizing death via suffocation.

Go and get incarcerated with hundreds of violent active aggressive guys that get more and more frustrated every day because, well, they are fuckin incarcerated.

You're saying that like the incarcerated person isn't one of them.  If no one could handle being around hoodlums and thugs, there would be no hoodlums and thugs in prison.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:40:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6