Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to play Dwarf fortress.  (Read 3569 times)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: How to play Dwarf fortress.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 09:25:04 pm »

Turn Based Interaction
    All entities in the game world are queued in an endless loop and get their independant discrete turn to act.
even if in the fortress mode we dont see it it is turn based  ::)
I disagree with this assessment. The game time is divided into frames, and each entity within the game acts during each frame, all basically at the same time. We don't see the elven caravan taking its turn to move, then our dwarves get to take their move. Everyone moves in real time. There is absolutely nothing discrete about the movement or any actions taken by entities within Fortress mode.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 04:04:17 am »

i don't know in adventur mode it is surely turn based, and if your fps drops to 1-2 you actualy see that it is the same in fortress mode to, just we aren't fast enougth to see it. anyway in computer there is no notion of 'real time' it is like 'random' it just don't make sense if we speak about computers.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 05:10:06 am »

Turn Based Interaction
    All entities in the game world are queued in an endless loop and get their independant discrete turn to act.
even if in the fortress mode we dont see it it is turn based  ::)
I disagree with this assessment. The game time is divided into frames, and each entity within the game acts during each frame, all basically at the same time. We don't see the elven caravan taking its turn to move, then our dwarves get to take their move. Everyone moves in real time. There is absolutely nothing discrete about the movement or any actions taken by entities within Fortress mode.

I guess it depends if you include being too slow to move for a turn a discrete action or not (and how much movement you count as a discrete action). However if you go that way then pretty much every game is turn based just the ticks get smaller and smaller.

Personally I define turn based as waiting for a turn input before processing the next round of moves rather than continuous ticks. (which is tick based, or real time depending on your point of view)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 05:13:30 am »

If we're claiming that all games are turn-based because computers operate in discrete cycles, then we've ceased all meaningful discussion in favor of lawyerly word games.

EDIT:  Also, noun agreement FTW.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:15:54 am by Earthquake Damage »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 11:37:56 am »

http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/ I find that to be the best definition of the genre, and the most in-depth. Going by this definition, even fortress mode hits all but one of the 'high value factors', 2 of the middle, and arguably all of the low value

They forgot "it's like Rogue in a basic aspect" which Dwarf Mode is not
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Kreega

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:21 pm »

http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/ I find that to be the best definition of the genre, and the most in-depth. Going by this definition, even fortress mode hits all but one of the 'high value factors', 2 of the middle, and arguably all of the low value

Exactly. Roguelike means "Like Rogue". That's the only definition of it, and people arguing that are just going "ASCII graphics? Oh, so it's a roguelike?"

I normally don't get annoyed by this kind of stuff but god damn, it's not a loose term. It's not open to interpretation. Just the fact that you don't directly control any character on screen rules it out of being a roguelike.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 04:26:59 pm »

Exactly. Roguelike means "Like Rogue". That's the only definition of it, and people arguing that are just going "ASCII graphics? Oh, so it's a roguelike?"

I normally don't get annoyed by this kind of stuff but god damn, it's not a loose term. It's not open to interpretation. Just the fact that you don't directly control any character on screen rules it out of being a roguelike.

Exactly, but I guess we can drop this topic, perhaps I shouldnt even mention it before, since this is not so important at all.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:40:37 pm by Tormy »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 04:39:52 pm »

[...] god damn, it's not a loose term. It's not open to interpretation. Just the fact that you don't directly control any character on screen rules it out of being a roguelike.

Says who?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 06:04:23 pm »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 02:28:46 am »

Says who?

You make my brain hurt.

Im with McDoomhammer on this one.

But i'm also with Tormy, I don't think either side of the argument is looking like listening to the other side, in a topic discussing 'how to play dwarf fortress'.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 03:45:04 am »

Its a roguelikelike.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 08:54:21 am »

Its a roguelikelike.

One of those Zelda creatures turned against Ganon?

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 10:30:38 am »

darn....i haven't play oregon trail for soooo long......even thou actually i only played like 2 times and got mauled by bears or someything like that

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:24 am »

Its a roguelikelike.

One of those Zelda creatures turned against Ganon?

Mouahahahahaha
Pages: 1 [2]