Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to play Dwarf fortress.  (Read 3566 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
How to play Dwarf fortress.
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:11:28 pm »

Dwarf fortress. Probably the best rougelike game ever fabricated. It's pixels and vast detail warmed the heart. Of course, one could not just play Dwarf fortress without following a set of rules; oh no, there were standards and regulations that had to be followed while mining your way to the greatest fort ever made with your dwarfs.

1) You have to choose a noble's profesion for every dwarf, except one. No exceptions.

2) Mine every river in order to save time on building a well. No exceptions.

3) When leaving the home mountains, buy only the bare minimums for everything, except for bolts. Buy as many bolts as possible. This is important.

4) Hunt as often as possible. Kill everything. Nothing is to be left behind alive, not even the groundhogs. Kill them ALL. You are a pioneer. Your JOB is to rape the land as thoroughly as possible. Even though you can only store ten units of meat in a barrel, don't stop killing after one fox. This is an act of weakness, and your fellow dwarfs will generate so much bad thoughts, and eventually sell each other to the goblins as slave labor in exchange for more bolts.

5) Always work at a grueling pace. Your dwarfs can handle it. It's what they do best.

6) Have as little alcohol as possible. Lowest rations at all times. Your dwarfs should have at least half a drop of alcohol at all times, anyway.

7) Never trade with forts. You will never find what you're looking for (which should be more bolts).

8) Whenever someone dies, make fun of them by dumping them into a garbage zone. That way, all the new imigrants will know how much your dwarfs hated their dead friend. You hate them, hate them, hate them. Hate them so much. You would have them all dead if you didn't need them in case you had to resort to cannibalism during hard times.

9) Name your dwarfs after your friends, so that when they inevitably die of starvation, you can turn to them and say "Oh shit, you just died, ha ha", to which they will shake their heads in disapproval and silently curse your name for being so lame.

10) You are not permitted to buy wood. Never. Not even if you chose a dwarf to be the carpenter (which you should never do in the first place). It doesn't matter that if lack of buckets increase the chance of death in your fort. There are two reasons for this- A) Because it is funny to make dwarfs travel from home mountains to fort destination totally unprepared, and B) towercaps cost money.
Now that you know the rules, be ready to lead the adventure of your life!

But not really.

I kinda took this,(plagiarised) from here, which talks about oregon trail.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to play Dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:08 am »

#1 on Oregon Trail made sense, you couldn't win (i.e. not everyone died) unless you started as a banker (i.e. the guy with the most money).

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:55:22 am »

Dwarf fortress. Probably the best rougelike game ever fabricated.

Redlike game? Lip red game...  Ah, you mean roguelike  :P
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:42:22 am »

Wrong, DF is NOT a roguelike. Perhaps the adventure mode is, but the main game is not.  ;)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:14:59 am »

#1 on Oregon Trail made sense, you couldn't win (i.e. not everyone died) unless you started as a banker (i.e. the guy with the most money).

Lies, I always picked a doctor, but I won with a farmer once.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 07:21:33 am »

Wrong, DF is NOT a roguelike. Perhaps the adventure mode is, but the main game is not.  ;)

That all depends how you define the term.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 07:52:53 am »

That all depends how you define the term.

I am not exactly sure about that. What is a roguelike?
"A roguelike is a member of the role-playing video game genre that borrows its name and gameplay elements from the 1980 computer game Rogue. Superficially, a roguelike is a two-dimensional dungeon crawl with a high degree of randomness and an emphasis on statistical character development."
Adventure mode is roguelike indeed, but like Ive said, the main game is very far from the roguelike genre. Fortress mode offers strategical/tactical gameplay and it is not focusing on role-playing at all.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:04:22 am »

Where did you get that quote?

Also,  I think Adventure mode is actualy not very random. World-gen is, but after that, its not very random at all. Except combat.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 11:34:08 am »

I'm not getting at you here Tormy, you are entitled to state your opinion as you see fit, however statements like are a bit like the story I read in the paper today about a welsh hill.

A small group of people were SURE that this wasnt a hill. It was 1998ft high, you see, according to UK ordnance survey data. They werent convinced however, for whatever reason. They took there fancy GPS measuring stuff up the hill, and by the time they got to the top, realised that the hill wasn't a hill at all! it was something like 6 inches over 2000ft! It was a mountain! would you believe it!

What did that task achieve? It didnt achieve anything. They just got to call it a mountain in public without someone as equally pedantic and timewasting as them getting the opportunity to correct them.

I say therefore, if for convenience someone deems DF a RL, go ahead and call it one.

If not, you know what, it don't really matter. Its not even as cut and dry whether it is cos the definition of a rogue-like is based on a thousand different games and opinions.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 12:03:04 pm »

There is no conceivable definition of "roguelike" which Dwarf Mode even comes remotely close to falling under
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:17:51 pm »

http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/ I find that to be the best definition of the genre, and the most in-depth. Going by this definition, even fortress mode hits all but one of the 'high value factors', 2 of the middle, and arguably all of the low value

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 04:41:16 pm »

http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/ I find that to be the best definition of the genre, and the most in-depth. Going by this definition, even fortress mode hits all but one of the 'high value factors', 2 of the middle, and arguably all of the low value

Well thats quite an interesting definition I must say...the problem is that even civilization 4 could be a roguelike according to this. Just check out the descriptions and think about civ4..you got the picture.
Either way, it doesnt matter, this is a subjective opinion, nothing more. If we talk about "roguelikes" I am always comparing everything to rogue and ADOM. Incursion is a perfect example to me, that is what I call a roguelike.  :)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »

ok just to annalise this one:

High Value Factors

Random Environment Generation
    The game world and its contents are mostly procedurally generated with each game.
if we take the world gen in here and i think we should this critair is ok.

Permafailure (including Permadeath)
    You must pay for your mistakes and choices, sometimes at the cost of life. Restoring games is discouraged and only provided to allow continuing split games.
Ohh yeah this is really DF

Turn Based Interaction
    All entities in the game world are queued in an endless loop and get their independant discrete turn to act.
even if in the fortress mode we dont see it it is turn based  ::)

Single command set
    You can access all game commands from any place into the game. There are no artificial restrictions on what actions are available in a given game situation
alomost, but i think the fact that no magma smith availabel without magma is not really against this "rule"

Freedom
    Your game is not directly enrouted into a linear progression. You get to choose what you want to do, how and when
it is ok

Middle Value Factors

Discovery mechanics
    You must research or find out the nature and usages of the items into the world.
nope all item is the same in all world, but later more randomness will be involved

Single player
    You control a lone character
it is philosophic, is a fortress spirit a lone character?

Lots of content
    There are lots of monsters, items, locations.
i think here DF is ok

Complex non-trivial world and object interactions
    Items have non-trivial usages, you can do some things which may not be obvious for the item nature.
o hell i even don't understand it now how basic things works ...

Low Value Factors

High ramped difficulty
    The game gets hard very quick and you are very unlikely to win until you have acquired enough experience.
No possible winning is enougth for that one?

Monsters are players
    The nature of the monsters is similar to the player, they can have equipment, player-like stats, artificial intelligence and are subject to the same world rules.
i think it works so

Character-based display
    The player interacts with the world via a user interface based on character symbols that represent UI artifacts and entities into the world.
just for adventurer mode

Hack and Slash
    Gameplay involves around killing things and acquiring treasure
always, in adventurer you kill monsters, in fortress mode these are your dwarfs that you kill, slowly :evil:
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 07:07:01 pm »

Roguelike is a matter of perspective, and it's more important to recognize the raw features of the game.
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03:40 pm »

There is no conceivable definition of "roguelike" which Dwarf Mode even comes remotely close to falling under

"Top-down perspective game featuring multiple-level grid-based ASCII graphics".
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: [1] 2