Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New succession game. As yet lacks fancy name.  (Read 6570 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
New succession game. As yet lacks fancy name.
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »

I've wanted to join a succession game for a while but I am bad at guessing which of these are old and long running and which is new and recruiting so I just said to hell with it and will start my own.

Once I get one or two people on board, I'll begin the fort. I figure to save headaches we'll just use the most recent version of the game. There will be no reversions, but TRY to keep at least one dwarf alive for the next guy.

When you take your turn you'll have a week to play one full year. Ideally write ups should be in-character but if you want to be a giant tool about it far be it for me to stand in your way. When/if we get to the end of the list we'll begin the cycle anew.

So if you are interested post (and include what your dwarf's name will be, and profession if you care).

Alright, list so far:
1. Charlemagne (finished)
2. A_Fey_Dwarf (finished)
3. Qloos (finished)
4. NTheGreat (finished)
5. tigger89 (current)
6. Duke 2.0
7. Muno syoan
8. Snuffs
9. Aardvark
10. Vaftrudner
11. Dizzyelk
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 12:58:30 pm by Charlemagne »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New succession game. As yet lacks fancy name.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:43:38 pm »

I will join... Whats the map like?

For my dwarf,
Name: Xombis
Sex: Any
Skills: Professional Animal trainer, Professional Mason.
Items I bring: a breeding pair of kittens, four dogs
Other: If possible could you make me someone who likes cats?

Ill take either first or second turn.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:49:31 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »

but TRY to keep at least one dwarf alive for the next guy.

What if we TRY to keep *exactly* one dwarf alive for the next guy? Would that work? Genocide ftw!

In all seriousness, best of luck to you. Most Sucessions either fall to bad planning, tantrums, demonic nobles, or negligence. Remember it'll be up to YOU to keep the turns flowing and the succession running. A few things I do need to ask though.

1. Turn time limit. Are you going to limit the turn length to any real-life time? Many sucessions have died from people forgetting turns or from one turn taking so damn long that everyone else forgets they even had a stake in that fort to begin with.

2. Site choice. Chasm/Cave River/Magma/HFS/Evil Biomes/Aquifer? Where do you plan to embark?

3. Transferring files. How/where are you planning to do it? The DFFD is a pretty common place to trade files (Dwarf Fortress File Depot), but I've heard of e-mailing saves and using other hosting sites like Fileplanet and rapidshare. What's your plan?

Those are the big issues, although there are probably other smaller issues that I haven't thought of that may need to be resolved before play.

Either way, best of luck!
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »

I haven't generated the world yet, I'm about to do it now.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »

What if we TRY to keep *exactly* one dwarf alive for the next guy? Would that work? Genocide ftw!

This would be acceptable.

1. Turn time limit. Are you going to limit the turn length to any real-life time? Many sucessions have died from people forgetting turns or from one turn taking so damn long that everyone else forgets they even had a stake in that fort to begin with.

It's kinda buried in my original post, but the time limit is one week. If someone obviously plans on taking their turn, and contacts me this deadline might be extended, but I'd probably skip to the next person and have them take the turn after that. Anyway, I'd deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

2. Site choice. Chasm/Cave River/Magma/HFS/Evil Biomes/Aquifer? Where do you plan to embark?

Somewhere interesting. I haven't made the map yet, I want to see what's there.

3. Transferring files. How/where are you planning to do it? The DFFD is a pretty common place to trade files (Dwarf Fortress File Depot), but I've heard of e-mailing saves and using other hosting sites like Fileplanet and rapidshare. What's your plan?

I was unaware that there was a Dwarf Fortress File Depot, I'd assumed e-mail. What does everyone else think? I could go either way, e-mail just seems like it would get people's attention more.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »

Our wisest dwarven scholars assure us that there are absolutely no monsters here, making it the perfect spot to embark. In fact, they repeatedly said they'd stake their reputations on this fact, so we can rest assured that absolutely no monsters are anywhere near here.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:52 pm »

I've never done a succession game before, but I'm somewhat competent at DF.

My Dwarf:
Name: Heliti
Sex: Any
Skills: 4 in fishing, 5 in swimming, 1 in wrestling.  (not taking any chances with those bloody fish)
Items I bring: 1 rope, (restraint)

I've got the latest version.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:24:10 am »

I wouldn't mind trying a succession game at some point. Put me in the next available space.

Dwarf name: NTheGreat
Skills:5 masonry, 4 engraving, 1 architecture
Items: Nothing I personally need, but I would advise bringing extra wood, as that map doesn't seem to have much.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:28:30 am »

Sure, I'll give it a shot.  Just let me know if an aquifer is present, or else I'll probably end up flooding everything by mistake.  Aquifers and I don't get along. :(

Name: Tig
Skills: 5 mechanic, 5 miner
Items: Just make sure we've got plenty of wood.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 02:43:14 pm »

I started the game last night, so I was unable to give Tig and NTheGreat exactly the skills they wanted, but I did the best I could. I'm just finishing up winter then I'll post my update. In the future I hope we can e-mail the file back and forth, but for now I'll upload it to my webspace and link it here.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 02:56:32 pm »

These turns will take a couple weeks to pass. Thus it would fall in a perfect timezone for me.

Sign me up! And please, no boring perfectly laid-out fortress. I want a chaotic maze of a settlement.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 04:56:15 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25147.0

I started a new thread so that anyone wanting to read the updates won't have to scroll through a bunch of administrative stuff at the top (a pet peeve of mine). I've uploaded the file to my website, it can be found below. A_Fey_Dwarf it's your turn, please post here to let us know when you've downloaded the file.

http://www.theapathyvote.com/images/region2.rar

(the file is winrared, not zipped)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:58:19 pm by Charlemagne »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:33:01 pm »

O.K It is downloaded. Do you want me to continue on with the carp theme? I have some great ideas brewing in my head but I don't want to create a conflicting storyline.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 02:07:33 am »

O.K It is downloaded. Do you want me to continue on with the carp theme? I have some great ideas brewing in my head but I don't want to create a conflicting storyline.

Do whatever you think will be entertaining.

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:18 pm »

I realise this is somewhat late but if there's still a fortress in seven years, I'd like a swing of the pick if that's alright.

Dwarf: Odrameur ,any gender.
Item: We have sand, I want for nothing.
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society
Pages: [1] 2 3 4