Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Off Duty Dwarven Crossbowdwarves  (Read 933 times)

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Off Duty Dwarven Crossbowdwarves
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:34 pm »

So I think I've found a bug, but I'm not sure.

As far as I can tell, crossbowdwarves will only train if they have wood/bone bolts on them, or there are no wood/bone bolts in the entire fortress.

I noticed for a while that the crossbowdwarves were gaining hammer skill when there were no bolts, and I thought, *cool*, that's awesome.  Now, I've ramped up bone production somewhat, and none of my dwarves are gaining any more hammer skill, yet there's still not enough bone to go around.

Anyone else ever encounter this?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:55:38 pm by Chrispy »
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Off Duty Dwarven Crossbowdwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:41:46 pm »

I'm thinking your marksdwarves are carrying 1 bolt stacks of Iron bolts or whatever, shooting them at a wild animal they've encountered, and they getting hammer skill because they are running up to beat the poor animal to death with their crossbow.

Do you have them set to "harrass wild animals" and are you reclaiming single bolts? Because they will an entire stack of bolts, and if you have alot of 1 stack bolts they might be running around with just 1 single bolt.

Marksdwarves don't spar with their crossbows, so I'm thinking they are giving the beat-down to the local wildlife and gaining hammerskill that way.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:57 pm »

Marksdwarves don't spar with their crossbows, so I'm thinking they are giving the beat-down to the local wildlife and gaining hammerskill that way.

actually, as I recently learned, if a marksdwarf has a shield equipped, they will fire steel and iron bolts from their quivers, but they wont go pick up lesser bolts to train, they will instead spar and train their hammerskill.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 02:00:39 am »

All of my marksdwarves are inside, none of them have ever fired at a wild animal.  I don't even have any iron bolts at this time.  (I'm just messing around, invaders are off).

Hmmm, some of them could have a shield equipped, I'll have to test that out.  Thanks.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.