Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold ambush nearly wipes out frontier settlers, news at eleven.  (Read 1622 times)

Alabaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "ezum Boltlove, Hale Disemboweler of Direction"
    • View Profile
Kobold ambush nearly wipes out frontier settlers, news at eleven.
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:01:18 pm »

So...I'm digging out a new fort, got the workshops and bedrooms ready for immagrants, got a farm going, survived my first winter, and churning out stone crafts like any good starting 7 would.  Dwarf caravan comes and goes, still no immagrants. Couple kobold thieves come an go, some successful, some not.  Elf caravan arrives, and of course they bring the usual kobold thief.  Well, then a second appears, and then an entire ambush party of kobold de-stealth in front of my depot.  I quickly draft a squad of 7 out of the total fort population of 7, and summon everyone to the main yard.  I beat em, but lost my cook/farmer/brewer and my jack of all trades dwarf.  How'd they die to kobolds?  Two of the kobolds were bow kobolds, and both were full of arrows.  I like to think the cook and the jack ran offensive blocking for the legendary digger who subsequently crushed both thier skulls.  You know, that slow motion jump in front of the incoming fire yelling "geeeet dooooown" while the other dwarf goes, "noooo doooon't" and then it's too late.

Tell me your "this one time, my starting 7 got messed up before any immigration arrived" stories.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold ambush nearly wipes out frontier settlers, news at eleven.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:19:34 pm »

I had my whole troop of settlers eaten by hippos once. Embarked right next to their river and they did not take kindly to the disturbance. Shortest lived fortress ever.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:21:49 pm »

I Once had my entire starting group of seven killed by a single alligator :)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:23:44 pm »

Shortest lived fortress ever.

I be contestin that! Af'er experiancin' m'self th' classic Embark-Atop-Gobbo-Tower(with Bonus Demon) in me first attempt t'lay siege t' them thar demon-lubbers.

Thar be burnin' dwarfy bits everywhere, yarrr....  :'(

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:28:11 pm »

Shortest lived fortress ever.

I be contestin that! Af'er experiancin' m'self th' classic Embark-Atop-Gobbo-Tower(with Bonus Demon) in me first attempt t'lay siege t' them thar demon-lubbers.

Thar be burnin' dwarfy bits everywhere, yarrr....  :'(
Well I be contestin' THAT! I had me own brand o' fun embarkin' on an "un'erground" magma pipe.
It was in me bloody cou'tyad!
Dem Fire Imps even got the RUM.
Hi!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:52 pm »

Back when I was testing the BotG II mod, I had a full-scale Storm Giant siege against a Dracon town.

They didn't stand a chance. Total domination.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 05:38:27 pm »

I Once had my entire starting group of seven killed by a single alligator :)

This.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 05:42:48 pm »

I seem t' remember a video within the Map Arcives of the 'ol Magma in a Bottomless Pit bug. Embark Anywhere + Nano Fortress + that particular version with that particular glitch = Fortress dieing from raining magma after two seconds.

Nothing can beat that short of messing with extreme temperatures.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:28 pm »

Skeletal carp.
"OMG, THEY CAN RUN OVER LAND, AAARRRRGHH_MY KNEES_GURGEL_DEATH".
Marauding elephants next to a river filled with hippos.
Chunks flying into the river galore. I like to imagine the elephants spiking the bodies and swinging them into the gaping mouths of the hippos.

Ok, they didn't "nearly" wiped out my starting seven, they utterly demolished them.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:57 pm »

I fell victim to a kobold ambush myself in one of my first forts.  I think ambush size is related to the value of stuff they've stolen.

While I was still unpacking the wagon, three kobolds appeared and made off with my anvil.  Seriously.  Which at least gives me the hilarious image of three kobolds hucking over a mountain range, tumbling an anvil the whole way home.

That autumn, seven kobs with spears and shields appeared in my entryway and laid the smackdown.  Three dwarves died instantly and two others were seriously wounded, along with killing all my animals save for one cat.  One dwarf had already died to a fire imp, so one guy was left to care for two hideously maimed friends and a cat with a punctured lung.  That was my first abandon.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 11:07:30 pm »

I had one on a regular glacier. Two Polar Bears decided to raid my starting wagon for.. well.. everything they could guzzle or eat. Attempting to stop this resulted in 6 dead dwarves and one stark raving mad lunatic locked in a hole.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:02 pm »

Not to long ago I had a bugged fortress where clothing had a random chance to combust causing the unfortunate dwarf to freeze to death immediately afterwards. As soon as I embark three of my dwarves die high on a cold mountain. Shortly afterwards my expedition leader tantrums and hurles the whole freaking wagon half way across the map! The other three managed to dig into the mountain while the now former leader strips naked and wonders around the mountain top, babbling to hisself. Shortly after his death the last three tantrum spiral into oblivion.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.