Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DAMBLOCK] Question  (Read 1146 times)

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DAMBLOCK] Question
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:00:43 pm »

Im adding some damblock tags, and was curious if the Damblock:# is a set damage or a percentage.

Also, i was adding damblock:2 and 3 for some decent sized creatures... but i see weapon damage is like 100 for axes and such, so it seems kind of insignificant. Should I set it for like 20 and 30, or just assume that their [size] tag will give them enough hp to be a very hard fight?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: [DAMBLOCK] Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:15:32 pm »

An important thing about weapon damage is that they've been multiplied by 10 for their place in the raws.  If you want the "real" damage of something, shave a zero off it.

And DAMBLOCK has (I believe) roughly the same amount of damage resistance as the size difference between the two creatures.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

With the 1/10th rule, each point of damblock is slightly less than a 10% reduction in damage from most weapons - and it only takes a damblock of 2 to make the creature basically immune to most unarmed creatures (dwarf included). Come to think of it, dang! That's why that one goblin killed 4 unarmed attackers on me just now - they just couldn't hurt him! Frick.

The lesson? Apply damblock with care, it's actually a pretty powerful stat.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:44 pm »

Here is Toady's post about damblock:

"It just makes damage go down from 0 to DAMBLOCK, on the final bp hitpoint scale (these numbers are 10x less than what you see in the weapon raws, so if a weapon does "70" a DAMBLOCK of 7 could block it entirely when it does full damage, one out of eight times)."

So, in the vanilla game if you modify the goblins for example, and give them  DAMBLOCK 100, dwarves won't be able to damage them I guess. [Since weapon dmg is max. 100 in the raws = 1000 in-game, and 100 DAMBLOCK means 1000 dmg "ignored"/blocked in-game.]