Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36246 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »

I think: proper livestock and manure first. Dwarf feces second, and probably a lot later. It doesn't add that much to the game. I'm not disgusted, It's just that I'd rather see some big details (wars, politics, kingdoms!) instead of going deeper to smaller ones.

Livestock and manure would, however, add a lot to the game. You'd have to keep the livestock outside... where it could be stolen. This leads fluently to a new type of ambush - cattle raid! I think that, and other things that force your dwarves to leave the fort, would fit nicely in the upcoming siege improvements.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »

I think: proper livestock and manure first. Dwarf feces second, and probably a lot later. It doesn't add that much to the game. I'm not disgusted, It's just that I'd rather see some big details (wars, politics, kingdoms!) instead of going deeper to smaller ones.

Livestock and manure would, however, add a lot to the game. You'd have to keep the livestock outside... where it could be stolen. This leads fluently to a new type of ambush - cattle raid! I think that, and other things that force your dwarves to leave the fort, would fit nicely in the upcoming siege improvements.

Or, you could put the cattle underground, and end up suffocating your dwarves with cow farts.  ;D
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:23 pm »

Or, you could put the cattle underground, and end up suffocating your dwarves with cow farts.  ;D
Oh no...that puts a bad smell in my mind.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2010, 09:01:06 pm »

Hey, hey, i forgot the best part. You have to open up the magma pipe as the methane seeps through your fortress...

Edit: clarity
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:39:13 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:45 am »

I'm all for seeing war and politics, etc. come first, but someday, I want to see these features.

I think there might be some merit to the idea that manure should come before sewers, but there are a lot of issues that need to be resolved before we can have dwarves shoveling manure. Hauling, stacking and quantum dumps stand in the way of making this playable, and making it look right.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:23 am »

Though I voted for three different things on the voting thing, I'd also like to state my support for this idea.

Considering toady himself has stated one of his ideas for DF is to go for the Most complex, and realistic fantasy life simulator.  And Urination (and it's use in industry) as well as defecation (same as before) are definitely realistic.

(though one does wonder how a Fantasy life simulator can be realistic.)

Though it should be an Init option otherwise people will complain (Oh who am I kidding people will complain anyways, specially if they don't check the .ini before loading up.)

Though it should come after some of the other stuff, like I'd like to see Trading fixed up, and the Life Cycles arc (was that the one where characters could grow up after WorldGen?)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:14 am »

If these thing are ever put in...and the likelyness is that they wont...the init SHOULD start with it disabled.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:22 am »

I think that building realy effective plumbing would be as, if not more interesting, than constructing just another dull goblin pancake maker, or some useless, but supposedly cool-looking cyclopic structure.

As well as making fortress properly lit and ventilated...

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »

Because laughing at your dwarves living in their own poopie is going to be hilarious at all points of the game  ::)

I thought Toady said that biological functions like this would never be in the game?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »

Because laughing at your dwarves living in their own poopie is going to be hilarious at all points of the game  ::)

I thought Toady said that biological functions like this would never be in the game?

What? But I thought this game was supposed to be REALISTIC?!  How are we supposed to model conservation of matter NOW, when we have crops with mass being consumed by dwarves that never excrete?!  [/sarcasm]
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »

If you can only think of toilet humour when faced with feces, the joke's on you I'm afraid.. :p

Vomit is already there. No one is offended about that, although it's certainly more disgusting than manure. Furthermore, "digestive tract lesson" etc. A good proposal might always convince.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »

Anyway, we should be aware that it will only matter with large setlement. A few dwarf can use dry toilet easily. And it won't be too hard to do basically : a trench, a reservoir and a stack of pump is ellaborate enought, once water pusing oject is implemented.
But what I want is the opportunity to make huge sewer, filled by outcast, smugler and monster, and have the surprise, latter on, to find a kobold camp in my sewer, living on our waster and stealing our stuff.
That would be awesome.
Wich leave us with a new sugession : squaters.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:15:23 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:04 pm »

Well, to encourage building real deal sewage we need
1. Matter preservation (i.e. no atom smashing, etc). And probably no fortification-holes-to-the-end-of-the-world too.
2. Grease/grit/tree roots etc that occasionally appear in the sewage, so there is need for a walkable path near sewer flow itself.
3. Probably more dwarves. Though I think that even 200 dwarves can provide a lot of digestion products if they put their mind to it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:53 pm »

What true dorf lets raw material like this go to waste?!  Remember our slogan:

Use your dorf-byproducts to the utmost,
Support your fortress's efforts to compost!

We need compost workshops that allow us to seed fungal growth or worms that would convert solid waste into fertilizer.

We also need ammonia as a cleaning product for clothing, produced from distilled urine!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:37 pm »

I thought this thread was dead but okay.

We could like make a big pile and burn our waste.Like in the Simpsons tire fire pile thingy that never stops burning.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17