Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36262 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2010, 04:50:37 pm »

Do we need to have a vote for who's for shit and who isnt?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2010, 04:57:17 pm »

Flushing Toilets are outside of the time frame limitations as they are less then 200 years old.  Everything would be done with Buckets in this era, or a hole dug in the ground.  Indoor 'Cesspools' created by the same fashion as ponds would be filled with the used buckets, eventually some fertilizer gets created their and removed.  I'd imagine it wouldn't actually be that complex to implement or control as the player just orders more buckets to be produced and the Dwarfs use these of their own volition.

Long thread - didn't read.

But! Wikipedia:

"1st to 5th centuries AD: Flush toilets were used throughout the Roman Empire. Some examples include those at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall in Britain. With the fall of the Roman Empire, the technology was lost in the West."

And even:

"circa 26th century BC: Flush toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilisation. The cities of Harappa and Mohenjo-daro had a flush toilet in almost every house, attached to a sophisticated sewage system."

Sounds old enough to me...
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »

I don't see why taking a shit every once in a while as a feature should be off by default. Really, what kind of sense does that make?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:12 am »

I don't see why taking a shit every once in a while as a feature should be off by default. Really, what kind of sense does that make?

Because it's likely to gross out a few new players who don't know they can turn it off.  It's called erring on the side of caution and it will do absolutely no harm in this case.

Cue someone saying "Those prudes / graphics whores / confused players don't deserve to enjoy Dwarf Fortress," etc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:23:00 am by Footkerchief »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2010, 09:33:30 am »

I didn't know Dwarf Fortress' demographic was 12-year-old girls. Oh wait, even Barbie Horse Adventures has you shoveling shit. And it doesn't look like this either:

@

I just find it dubious people would get their knickers in a twist over dwarves pooping in a game they probably picked up because they heard stories of babies being used as weapons

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:32 am »

I'm not going to rewrite all of this, but here's a link to my thoughts on tastefully incorporating biological waste into DF without offending the masses.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »

I'm not going to rewrite all of this, but here's a link to my thoughts on tastefully incorporating biological waste into DF without offending the masses.

Offending the masses is a plus!

No, I suggest we changes the offending names in the default version to 'love' and 'kisses', and the colours to pink and mauve. That way, they will all drop love and kisses in the fortress, and the children will collect it!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:38:04 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:39 pm »

I just find it dubious people would get their knickers in a twist over dwarves pooping in a game they probably picked up because they heard stories of babies being used as weapons

I find it dubious too!  But:

It's called erring on the side of caution and it will do absolutely no harm in this case.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:25 am »

Ok... so the Sims can piss themselves (and seem to do so fairly often) but DF can't have proper sewage without people worrying about grossing out the public? Really?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2010, 01:15:05 am »

I didn't know Dwarf Fortress' demographic was 12-year-old girls. Oh wait, even Barbie Horse Adventures has you shoveling shit. And it doesn't look like this either:

@

So, you're saying we should try to make DF more like Barbie Horse adventures? ::)

Seriously though, dead babies are tragic comedy, while sewage is just bathroom humor.

Moreover, baby deaths are something the player is intended to try to prevent, while dwarves needing the toilet is probably something that he should allow for, if possible. Most platforming games feature falling to your death as a major game element, but if someone made a game where the player commits suicide by jumping off a bridge, that would still be distasteful.

However, when it comes to materials, DF is pretty taste neutral. Are you ready to defend this when the procedural world takes it to the logical extreme and starts creating creatures with sewage for blood?

Ok... so the Sims can piss themselves (and seem to do so fairly often) but DF can't have proper sewage without people worrying about grossing out the public? Really?

Actually, The Sims took some bad press from this exact issue themselves, but it was overshadowed by the controversy over all the sex and adultery(which naturally boosted sales).

EA has a large enough marketing department that they can weather things like that with ease.
Bay12 Games relies mostly on word of mouth, and thus has a pressing need to generate only positive buzz.

All that said, I do have something positive to add:

Instead of a just simple [POOP:ON/OFF] switch, I think the matter just needs to be handled with care and taste.

To this end, I make four suggestions:

1. Handle waste with taste, even when it's turned on. There are people who want to see coprophilia and coprophagia in DF, but I think they are a small minority, and we would mostly much rather just have a sewer full of sewage, without anyone needing to do anything weird with it. The game is moddable enough that you can add the stuff to it, if you're creative, there's no need for Vanilla DF to cater to that crowd, specifically.

2. The biological waste material(s) should be tagged somehow, to prevent the game from using it in procedural processes. This prevents a lot of weirdness that would be pretty immersion-breaking anyway.  Those wanting to see crap golems, elf pee rain, urine men, waste trees, manure titans and sewage gods can simply remove the tags.

3. A little abstraction goes a long way. Designing a sewage treatment plant made out of stone is a fun problem, and detailed information on what type of sewage is moving through it doesn't help any. It's been said before, but we don't need to know exactly what Urist put in the bucket, only that the bucket needs to be emptied into a sewer.

4. Give people a chance to get used to the idea of sewage being around, before you expand on the concept. Dwarves pooping in designated recepticles is a lot easier to accept than mules pooping on the dining room floor. Manure is a valuable source of fuel and fertilizer, and tanners probably use it, but just start with stuff that flows downhill and stinks. Once that fails to end the world, people will be ready to see more.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2010, 01:29:04 am »

Just call crap "Waste". That way no-one will notice what it is until they start to closely watch their dwarves.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2010, 07:27:10 am »

@Felblood: ...starts creating creatures with sewage for blood

Technically, urine is distilled from blood. You can say every creatures blood is part-sewage :)

As for gods ... that is not so unimaginable. Manure is important as fertilizers to any civlization that farms intensivelly and as many ordinary parts of life could also become part of panheon: enity to which you thank for fertile fields, and to which you pray for health of your herds.

Cow-gods as somehow also responsible for field fertility ... guess why :)

---

To be honest, feces do not add much of content, but ut can lead to interesting things:

Manure

Since you would not want animals relieve themselves in meeting areas, you would have to design stables and chain animals, pen animals (special meeting area only for animals) and generally, stop letting horses copulate in your dining hall (dwarven children are watching, for f sake! sometimes it happens in middle of children party! ...)

Your dos/cats could be smart enough to go outside (sieges would, of coruse, lead to problems.). I'd also imagine dogs assigned to dwarf spending some time outside happier.

Since this all adds to gameplay (player has to design stables, and also makes dining rooms less crowded)

It also allows to introduce Manure and related mechanics before players are forced to deal with actual dwarven feces. Barbie Horse Adventures playerbase can deal with it. I am sure 20-something DF players can too stomach idea that some dwarf will have to equip pitchfork.

---

But frankly, I would like Livestock impovements before that: required feeding, fresh water access, straw beds

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2010, 04:09:02 pm »

A lot of the resistance against implementing the back end of the farming process comes from an exaggerated image of what it will be. Adding defecation to the game does not mean that every floor tile will be covered in turds, or that dwarves start to get preferences for drinking urine. The dwarves will just need to visit the latrine a fraction of the times that they eat, preferably at the same time as dining or grooming. Dwarf children would produce dirty laundry instead :p. The animals would produce manure wherever they stand. There's already plenty of vomit to be cleaned up anyway, and that way it will naturally make sense to keep them in stables.

For what the latrine concerns, that's as much trouble as digging a trench. A two-tile deep trench, if you want to keep the miasma in check. I cannot grasp how that will make the fortress unplayable for the faint-hearted maidens among us.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:42 pm »

:D AMEN!!! HALLELUJAH!!! :D

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2010, 01:17:08 am »

I can't wait until I can build a toliet for my animals!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17