Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Feces and Urine  (Read 36297 times)

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feces and Urine
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »

I'm in favour of this, as sewage management is an important and interesting part of any (healthy) setllement.

Also..
Flushing Toilets are outside of the time frame limitations as they are less then 200 years old.

Flushing toilets and sewer systems date back to at least 2500BC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flush_toilet

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:32:14 pm by Tiny »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »

Which makes it a good init option

Actually, not really.  All of the on/off gameplay options we have now are for things that aren't fun as they are because they are incomplete.  Economy (and rent), caveins (unrealistic, as a single tile can support mountains), temperature and weather (very little effect, high CPU), invaders (quickly become a minor annoyance if dealt with efficiently and merely supply large piles of essentially worthless items (see economy)), and artifacts (which have little benefit above normal items).

I don't see how what you said makes it not a good init option.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:36:22 pm by Andeerz »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2010, 11:50:35 pm »

Which makes it a good init option

Actually, not really.  All of the on/off gameplay options we have now are for things that aren't fun as they are because they are incomplete.  Economy (and rent), caveins (unrealistic, as a single tile can support mountains), temperature and weather (very little effect, high CPU), invaders (quickly become a minor annoyance if dealt with efficiently and merely supply large piles of essentially worthless items (see economy)), and artifacts (which have little benefit above normal items).

I don't see how what you said makes it not a good init option.

Things we have as init options now are based on features that are incomplete and therefore a hassle (such as the economy being unbalanced) and others are for reducing computational complexity.

Where does bodily waste fall?

Incomplete or High CPU Cycles?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2010, 11:59:46 pm »

Well, what if a feature in the future is both complete and a hassle?  And/or what if said feature is fun to some people and not others?

So what if feces and urine falls under either high CPU or incompleteness or whatever.  It would be an init option that you could turn off until it (if ever) becomes a feature you would like in your individualized DF experience.  I still don't see how what you say makes feces and urine a good or bad init option.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:19:42 am by Andeerz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2010, 03:24:03 am »

Things we have as init options now are based on features that are incomplete and therefore a hassle (such as the economy being unbalanced) and others are for reducing computational complexity.

This is irrelevant.  Toady has spoken positively in the past about implementing controversial features, such as gunpowder, as init options.

In light of how many people would dislike even a "friendly" implementation of feces/urine, it should unambiguously be an init option (or maybe worldgen parameter), and I say that as a supporter of having feces/urine in the game.

Perhaps there could be two kinds of solution for sewer management, one of them could involve "fillable" toilets/latrines, which would eventually overflow, and would need to be emptied by dwarves that work in sewage using buckets, and dumped somewhere to decompose or flow away,

Yeah, chamberpots.  If the only way to deal with feces was with an elaborate sewer system, obviously that'd be a lousy feature, both from a gameplay standpoint and a historical standpoint.  Various cultures have had myriad methods for dealing with waste and it would be cool to have a reason to make use of those methods in DF.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:29:18 am by Footkerchief »

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:28 am »

I would love to make nobles clean out the chamberpots with the help of dwarf therapist.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2010, 04:06:36 am »

Call it "waste" which dorfs put into the sewage system using "waste receptacle" buildings and everyone can imagine that to be whatever they want, goblin chunks, leftover stone bits, poop, whatever.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:36 am »

I think even you noticed that your argument stretched to the breaking point about halfway through

A better argument would be the question of how to handle tanning urine needs if dwarves don't urinate. Naturally simply removing the requirement of a bucket of urine for the job would solve it but whether init options stretch to that is a good question.

Hmm, should the urine be consumed by the labor or would the bucket be built into the workshop?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2010, 10:16:02 am »

Hmm, should the urine be consumed by the labor or would the bucket be built into the workshop?
Build it into the workshop and have dwarves refill it as they pop by. Two buildings for the price of one!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2010, 10:50:37 am »

Build it into the workshop and have dwarves refill it as they pop by. Two buildings for the price of one!
In the middle ages, tanners would place a bucket near the entrance of their workshop and kids would hang around and pee in it for a copper.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:12 am »

That reminds me of something.  There was a recipe for basically a jello mold in the middle ages, which included children's urine in the recipe.  Apparently, that was the only way to get it a particular shade of green.  That really doesn't need to be in the game though, bleagh.

Actually, wait.  Only nobles were both rich enough and cracked enough to eat that, so it should be in the game.  Feeding nobles stuff made with kids' urine?  Hell yes.

Another use for urine would be at the forge.  It has been historically used as a quenching medium for particular steels which need a very fast, harsh quench.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:07:16 am by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2010, 03:28:53 pm »

Perhaps sewage could also be made if dwarves start bathing? Either a room type bath like Romans had or a metal tube with a pipe leading of to the sewers and a water (or magma if its a noble) pipe leading into it.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2010, 06:57:54 pm »

Deleted post because of godwins law.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:17:33 am by xdarkcodex »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

You could make like a concentration camps with the gas showers.

I'm calling "Godwin's Law" and quitting this thread.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »

Whats Godwin's Law?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17